HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:24 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,476 Posts
Discussion
LeVier Cosmic Wind

Hi, I'm looking for three/four views of the Cosmic Wind, in particular I'm looking for the underside and fuse cross-sections.

These are the only two line drawings I've found, and there're not too many photos on the net either, not too surprising for a plane with only two surviving intact originals - I know there are four of them but one was built up from spares and the other was so extensively damaged in a crash that there's not too much of the original left.

This was the first built up balsa plane I made, when I was nine years old. Keil-Kraft (I think) rubber powered stick 'n' tissue, it flew but not too well. I still remember crying when I over-wound the rubber and it snapped and destroyed the fuse. First lesson in a re-build though, and it flew better than before with the practice I'd had the first time round - good job I'd thought to photocopy the parts sheets. Ah, those first heady smells of balsa cement and dope, not to mention the frustration of getting the covering looking all nice and taught and then slipping with a scalpel and bleeding all over it.....

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:48 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,250 Posts
The book, "The Air Racers" by Mendenhall has drawings, but I've heard his drawings are often inaccurate.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:56 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
These help?
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Feb 04, 2010, 07:05 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
These help?
No, not at all, that's useless, stop wasting my time.... Just joking, that's actually exactly what I wanted. I feel the need to revisit this plane as the first one ended up with a load of firecrackers and pure alcohol being loaded onto it, attached to a zip line and being set alight.

Thanks for the help guys, those were some speedy answers. I'll post any plans I come up with, they'll be around the 40cm WS mark.
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:03 AM
Joined Oct 2014
1 Posts
I,ll see what I can find. My father owned all three at the same time . Of all the planes he owned and flew he loved the Cosmic Wind the most. Orville Blair
water boiler is offline Find More Posts by water boiler
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:33 AM
Joined Nov 2014
2 Posts
Of all the planes he owned and flew he loved the Cosmic Wind the most. Orville Blair
ribaocaes is offline Find More Posts by ribaocaes
Old Nov 29, 2014, 08:42 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,921 Posts
Two of the plans here look close to scale and might be of some help.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...wind&Submit=Go

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Nov 29, 2014, 09:37 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,788 Posts
Robert S. Hirsch has two books of 'Goodyear/ Formula 1' raceplanes and the photos and 3-views are nice. Who knows... you might even build something different after seeing the multitude of racers in there! Cleveland Model and Supply's plan CD116 should be a good reference for outlines and shapes.
ARUP is online now Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:00 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,282 Posts
Here's what I have
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101
Old Dec 06, 2014, 06:56 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribaocaes View Post
Of all the planes he owned and flew he loved the Cosmic Wind the most. Orville Blair

When did he own them, Orville?
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr