HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,962 Posts
Question
Rolled plans

how do I flatten plan's after they've been rolled up for so long? There should be a way.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:25 PM
United States, WA, Burien
Joined May 2014
14 Posts
Use a wrapping paper roll and roll the plans the reverse direction, then lay flat on a table over night. You may need to weight the corners to prevent the plans from rolling.
Roy_N is online now Find More Posts by Roy_N
Old Feb 23, 2015, 01:47 PM
Joined Dec 2003
595 Posts
Clothes iron

You can use a modern clothes iron on lowest setting. Gently iron them. Also works to get "fold marks" out of folded plan sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
how do I flatten plan's after they've been rolled up for so long? There should be a way.
vintagesailplnr is online now Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Feb 23, 2015, 08:16 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,915 Posts
Roy has it right. roll it around a long tube to help keep creases from forming as you back roll it.
Fly Wheel is online now Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:23 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
486 Posts
Dry Iron

In a land far away, and a very long time ago - I realized that I had too many plans to store them rolled and I began folding them to fit in standard storage boxes. Then of course I had to deal with the "eternal question"; how to flatten without distortion. Well enough of this background, I use a dry iron set at a medium heat. The only problem that might pop up is for wings and the chance of inequality of length. Fortunately I have accurate measuring tools.

Okay, maybe I've over-blathered here. But an iron is pretty quick and I'm often impatient when I get the urge for the sweet smell of balsa dust.
Raymond-leflyr is online now Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor Hangar Rat - Updated
Old Feb 25, 2015, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,962 Posts
Thank you all gentlemen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:15 AM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
403 Posts
Yes, some old experienced builder might have something to learn about being a gentleman, and perhaps try not to kill someone else's project..

That said my family have been bookstore keepers for at least a couple of generations, that includes sea maps as an important factor. The heated iron have a long tradition in this, anyhow the paper have become non-flat.

Best regards
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Feb 28, 2015, 02:54 PM
stop making sense
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
403 Posts
I took the liberty to ask one of the remaining experts just to make sure that I did not give a deceitful advice to you Dave, and I was told that obviously a nice rolled plan is not a problem as you can just roll it the other way as some have already mentioned. That is probably your point if I understand you correctly, and if that's the case what an annoying way to make your point I might add.

If you need to iron it which you don't since you have all your plans nicely rolled, then the procedure would be to use enough heat on the iron to make it work, I was told "a good pep" as opposite to very cold, and to use some other paper on top of the drawing, food packing paper or similar would do. And to try it out on a similar quality paper first.

I have my collection folded because this is the way they came in with the mail, but I have some of my copies rolled, and the difference is that the rolled plans gets wrinkled and torn apart in the edges over time, that is if you don't have a dedicated storing facility so that you don't ever have to move them, it helps if you have them rolled inside a bigger cardboard tube or paper sheet.

And again, my very best regards, I would never try to purposely diminish a fellow builder, even if he was Major Dick.
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,962 Posts
Thank you all again. I knew there was something I should've asked the personnel working in the print shop at Grumman. And not even in the blue print reading did they mention any thing about flattening print's just put a weight on each corner. So the plan's I just recieved from Traplet were folded so I carefully wrapped them around a monocote tube and put a couple #64 rubberband's on them and we'll see what happens. Now the plan's, rolled, for my newly acquired NIB Paragon are so tightly rolled they could fit inside a monocote tube. I'll reverse roll those plan's very carefully.
RCG Plus Member