SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:57 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
Discussion
If not the 200 SRX Then What?

After a lot of research and reading posts here I purchased the 200 SRX as my very first heli. 30 mins out of the box, during my first flight I found the tail blade on backwards, the tail motor burned up (actually turned black) and the ESC stopped working and crashed. Having to send it to HH for repairs and they are charging $40 / hr.
I wish I could start all over and just might. What other helicopter are out there that would be good for a beginner? I have the Blade Nano and Phoenix flight sim and can hover fine so I have my orientations down fairly well but haven't started any real flight time as I don't have a heli to fly. Would love to find a good unit from a company with good customer support.
robusmc is offline Find More Posts by robusmc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:09 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
You should have NEVER started with a fixed pitched heli like the 200SRX to begin with. That is way above your skill level. Any coaxial heli is made for a beginner. You need to master one of those BEFORE moving to a fixed pitched heli.
Junkman2008 is online now Find More Posts by Junkman2008
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
I thought that too but was told that I would be bored with a coaxial after a couple weeks.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:36 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You should have NEVER started with a fixed pitched heli like the 200SRX to begin with. That is way above your skill level. Any coaxial heli is made for a beginner. You need to master one of those BEFORE moving to a fixed pitched heli.
-I don't have a 200 SRX, but doesn't the model have a panic button and a beginner mode with self leveling? If so I would think it would fly similar to a coax in beginner mode...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Jan 11, 2015, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
Yes it does
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:24 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusmc View Post
I thought that too but was told that I would be bored with a coaxial after a couple weeks.
Here's the problem with the advice you have gotten. The person who told you that has much more experience than you do. From HIS perspective, you would have gotten bored with a coaxial after a short amount of time. The person you SHOULD have talked to was someone who was at YOUR level and had just bought a 200SRX. They would have been a LOT more honest and accurate with their advice. I bought my 200SRX on a Saturday evening at 5:00 PM. By 7:30, it was TOTALED. I knew nothing about how to fly a fixed pitched heli and I was barely good enough to fly a coaxial. Yet, I made the mistake of buying a fixed pitched when I had no clue as to how they worked.

Fast forward 6 months ahead and a boat load of parts later, I can hover without crashing and I know for a fact that I bought something that was way out of my skill level back then. That's the part of the Internet that sucks. The advice you get may be coming from someone who doesn't have a clue themselves OR from someone who doesn't remember back when they were a noob. Worse yet, a lot of people giving advice don't have a stake in your wallet's best interest and will send to your local hobby shop with bad information. You have to watch out for this by understanding the experience level of the person giving you advice. I went through boot camp in 1982. Who do you think could give a more accurate description of what boot camp is like today, you or I?

Take it from someone who was you only a few months ago. This is NOT a beginner's bird. A coaxial, like the Blade CX2 is a beginner's bird. Learn to fly that every which way to Wednesday and then you will be ready for a 200SRX in beginner mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
-I don't have a 200 SRX, but doesn't the model have a panic button and a beginner mode with self leveling? If so I would think it would fly similar to a coax in beginner mode...
In your dreams.

You have fallen victim to the same advertising that I fell victim to. Here's the way self-leveling works. If your bird is moving at warp factor 9 toward a brick wall, the self-leveling button will level the blades so that the helicopter is now level while still moving at warp factor 9 toward that brick wall. In NO WAY will it bring the bird under any kind of control or slow it down and while your finger is on that panic button, YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OF THE BIRD. That last part is why I never learned how to use that panic feature, nor do I even bother. To me, it's completely useless unless you figure out a way to make the bird fly upside down. Other than that, self-leveling is going to do nothing but help you crash while the bird is level. Yea, thanks a whole lot HH.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:41 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,393 Posts
I should think (for what that's worth) that if the tailblade came backwards from the factory then the ESC smoked itself trying to make up for that error, that HH wouldn't charge ANYthing. They still may not. What they tell you on the phone depends on who answers. At least they DO answer and more often than not they are fair, sometimes more. OTOH, you might have a better argument had you grounded it when it was first evident it wasn't working right. My 120 stripped the 'ridge' that couples the tailblade to the shaft. It spun like a dervish just running up on the ground so I turned it off until I got a new TB.

You weren't wholly wrong, but you may have underestimated how much faster a 200 can get itself in trouble than a Nano can. And how much to trust the factory AFA delivering airworthiness out of the box. NObody escapes those experiences.

Get the 200 fixed, take it out in good (VERY low wind) conditions and make small movements then small countermovements back to hover. You may find it's not that far over your head after all.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
There are big differences between a FBL fixed pitch heli like the 200SRX and self-stabilizing fixed pitch helis with a 45% flybar. The latter which includes the Blade mSR, V911 and V912 are highly suitable for beginners.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:47 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
There are big differences between a FBL fixed pitch heli like the 200SRX and self-stabilizing fixed pitch helis with a 45% flybar. The latter which includes the Blade mSR, V911 and V912 are highly suitable for beginners.
I don't know anything about those birds so I can't say. What I DO know is that the 200SRX is NOT a beginner's bird.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their very good feedback. Ive got another call into HH.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 08:50 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
Are there any descent larger coaxial out there? I would like to get one that was close in size to the 200
Old Jan 12, 2015, 08:59 PM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
Are there any descent larger coaxial out there? I would like to get one that was close in size to the 200
The CX2 is about the size of the 200SRX.

Prepare for RC Helicopter Success with the E-flite Blade CX2 (5 min 18 sec)

Blade's Website
Old Jan 12, 2015, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
Looks like a nice bird.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2014
87 Posts
I just ordered the CX2
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:53 AM
"Devil Dog"
Joined Aug 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
I just ordered the CX2
You'll like the fact that you can fly it indoors in a large room. It won't get all crazy on you so you'll be able to get all the basic maneuvers down without having to make quick decisions. One thing that I should have mentioned is that you need to buy a bunch of extra blades. The blades are the one thing that chip and crack if you hit them up against anything. You can fly this bird outdoors if there is little to no wind.

This is the bird that I was learning on before my 200SRX. I went to get some parts for it and someone talked me into the 200SRX. I regret that I made the jump up because I never got good with the CX2. Although I love my 200SRX, I still lack the fundamental training that I could have gotten with the CX2. Who knows, I may still buy another CX2. I even have a MCPX BL that is sitting in a box ready to go back to Blade because I crashed it to the point where it won't do crap now. None of this is Blade's fault, it is my own doing.