HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
Discussion
Laser 75 Sparkie

Regular readers may recall that some time ago I was looking for information with a view to obtaining a medium sized spark ignition engine which I have long fancied! I have now obtained a Laser 75 engine fitted with a Jim Shelley Minimag although this would not have been my first choice!
Operation of this engine is completely outside my experience so I would be most grateful for any information regarding the running and maintainance of it. I would particularly like to hear from anyone who has, or has had, one of these, any any helpful tips or hints regarding using one, fuel mixture, power output etc. I would appreciate any help that can be offered. Thank you in hopes!
Bob Imp.
Bobimp is offline Find More Posts by Bobimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2014, 03:07 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,100 Posts
There is a modeller called Ian Redshaw who posts as "Reg Shaw" on the RCM&E website, www.modelflying.co.uk. He is going to build an enlarged Peter Russel STOL and power it by the same engine as yours for the Green Acres Annual Fly-In. Ian is a highly competent builder and pilot who built and flew a 1/2 sized Flying Flea at last year's event. He also flew a scale model four-engined biplane and a very large Avro 504 powered by a working rotary engine.

Go to the RCM&E site, click on the thread, "2015 Mass Build - sign up thread" and send him a pm. There's no "side" to Ian. If anyone can help he will.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post
There is a modeller called Ian Redshaw who posts as "Reg Shaw" on the RCM&E website, www.modelflying.co.uk. He is going to build an enlarged Peter Russel STOL and power it by the same engine as yours for the Green Acres Annual Fly-In. Ian is a highly competent builder and pilot who built and flew a 1/2 sized Flying Flea at last year's event. He also flew a scale model four-engined biplane and a very large Avro 504 powered by a working rotary engine.

Go to the RCM&E site, click on the thread, "2015 Mass Build - sign up thread" and send him a pm. There's no "side" to Ian. If anyone can help he will.
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I have been unable to sign in to the RCME site as it keeps refusing my password! despite my having been a member for some time! I have tried to use the "reset password" option without sucess! I`ll keep trying as I would dearly like to speak to Ian as he seems to be the only person who has ever used a Laser 75 sparkie!! Again, thanks for your help,
Regards,
Bob Imp.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:29 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,989 Posts
When I bought mine I called Neil Tidy at Laser but he had very little info on setup or running the engines with the mag. Unfortunately Jim Shelley is no longer with us.
Mine is pictured below which is an 80. Not sure they made a 75, I was only aware of the 70 & 80.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 27, 2014, 09:50 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Not sure they made a 75, I was only aware of the 70 & 80. Bill
The 75 was one of the first three engine types produced by Laser in 1984 along with the 61 and the 120v. On the 75, the glow plug faces diagonally forwards while the plugs on the 70 and 80 are on the top of the cylinder.

Bobimp, I believe that you can re-set your password on the RCM&E website.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:12 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,989 Posts
Thanks Monza

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:39 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,084 Posts
Here is one in pieces, someone tried to dismantle it but forgot about the timing adjustment lever in the way .... I will try to put it together correctly that is after those OS ignition conversions, I have'nt been in the shop altough my burned hand healed very well.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Last edited by Reginald; Dec 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
[QUOTE=williame3590;30052687]When I bought mine I called Neil Tidy at Laser but he had very little info on setup or running the engines with the mag. Unfortunately Jim Shelley is no longer with us.
Mine is pictured below which is an 80. Not sure they made a 75, I was only aware of the 70 & 80.

Bill[/QUOTE

Hello,
and thank you for your response. I have managed to download a Laser Engines Operating instructions leaflet which seems to be generic instructions for all Laser engines without specifics. Of course none of these instructions are relevant to the Minmag fitted Laser so they don`t help me greatly! I would be most interested in your experiences in running this engine. Did you run on a petrol oil mixture? I take it that the small lever near the mag. is for advance and retard alteration. Which is the full retarded position for starting, forward or back? The instructions state that " valve clearance is not critical" which is surprizing! What are the clearances on your engine for both tappets and points? I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer! I`m starting to wish I hadn`t bothered!!
Thanks again and regards,
Bob Imp.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 02:21 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,084 Posts
I do have this OS FS 60 conversion and did run it but that is some time ago, I cannot remember any problems, just do try to run it, oh yes I did use methanol of course, many people think that changing to ignition does mean changing over to gasoline
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:04 AM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red View Post

Hello and thanks for suggestion. I have PM`d to Ian Redshaw but I`m awaiting a reply. Hopefully he will be able to make some helpful suggestions to enable me to get this beast running!
Regards,
Bob Imp.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:07 AM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobimp View Post
Hello and thanks for suggestion. I have PM`d to Ian Redshaw but I`m awaiting a reply. Hopefully he will be able to make some helpful suggestions to enable me to get this beast running!
Regards,
Bob Imp.
Had a reply from Ian Redshaw who also very helpfully posted a copy of the original operating instructions on the "opposition" Forum! I hadn`t realized the extent of the alterations that had to be done to fit a Shelley Minimag! New crankshaft, front housing with bearing to drive the magneto, plus a different carb.! Probably quite an expensive operation, maybe that`s why there are not many about! Thanks to all who replied, particularly Ian. Hope to post pics. of it running in a model some time in the future!
Regards,
Bob Imp.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:07 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
4,084 Posts
Found these documents but no manual, did he make one ?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Found these documents but no manual, did he make one ?
Hello and thanks.
Yes I had found the docs. you sent. Ian had posted an in depth write up on the Laser being fitted with a Shelley Minimg. It seems quite a complicated engineering project and seemingly quite expensive. Maybe that answers why there doesn`t seem to be many about! Should be quite something to see (and hear!) if I get it running OK. Thanks again for your input.
Bob Imp.