New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2015, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by fbsully993
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Discussion
what rc heli to get

hello im not knew to rc just to rc helis i have used the little helis like the syma s107g but i want somthing i can use outdoors plz help
fbsully993 is offline Find More Posts by fbsully993
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Chairman of Circular Carnage
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,784 Posts
We need a little more information, such as your budget & flying environment (how windy?).
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Old May 10, 2015, 09:53 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
its about 3 mph right now but i live in middleton idaho and it can get veary windy my i would like to stay around 50$ if thats possible
Old May 11, 2015, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,039 Posts
For a budget of only $50 there really isnt any heli thats good for outdoor flying in wind. For windy flying you really need a larger collective pitch heli which come if a not more than your budget and a also will be quite challenging to fly, nothing remotly like the co-axial that you are used to.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 11, 2015, 09:05 AM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
I do have the v911 lightning bird but i broke a blade and i don't like how it handles the wind im also willing to get a quad i used to have one but the gyro broke on it
Old May 11, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
i do have a 20a turnigy esc 6ch transmitter and receiver and a 2s 1300mah lipo i could get a heli or quad that needs those
Old May 11, 2015, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by CaptJac
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsully993 View Post
its about 3 mph right now but i live in middleton idaho and it can get veary windy my i would like to stay around 50$ if thats possible
50$ ?? The only thing you will find for $50 that can fly good in the wind is a kite. 50$ quads are toys - 50$ helicopters are toys. If you serious about wanting to fly outside with any kind of wind you going to need a lot more than a toy. For your VERY "limited" budget I would suggest building a 450 kit. Hobby King sells a 450 kit for $25 - the HK450. While you are building you can be saving your money for the electronics and a programmable transmitter. There is NO better way than learning how set up and adjust and repair a 450 than building your own. Once it is completed - find a local RC flying club to check it out for you and teach you how to fly. Learning on your own is a very BAD idea. A 450 is too fast to think about when it is heading straight at you. You don't want to be hit by the blades of a 450 - it can be catastrophic to both your heli and yourself. SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT - that's a good mantra to repeat to yourself when you are out on the field.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
443 Posts
I think your best bet is a used mCPX (RTF) and a used DX6i - each of which you can find at 60-70 bucks. That's $120-140 altogether, which is above your current budget, but it's a very nice set-up.
getsuyoubi is online now Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old May 20, 2015, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
320 Posts
You really can't cheap out when it comes to RC helis. Even if you get a cheap kit from HobbyKing and use the cheapest electronics you can find, you'll still spend a lot more than $50. The problem with the cheap stuff is it's cheap. Half the time it doesn't work right or it fails quickly. Then you end up buying what you should have bought in the first place.

The HobbyKing kits are Align T-Rex clones. I've read a number of times on the forum here where people have had to replace all the moving parts with original Align stuff due to failure of the poorly made HK stuff. It ends up costing more than an Align kit. Then there are the costs of crash repairs due to component failure. There's also the safety aspect. A component failure can cause a helicopter to go out of control. Just buy an Align kit in the first place, don't waste your money on those HK kits. Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on.
CraigHB is offline Find More Posts by CraigHB
Old May 21, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Mixmasta belongum jeezus kraes
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
Just buy an Align kit in the first place, don't waste your money on those HK kits. Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on.
Seconded. The HK metals seem to be alloyed with cheese.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old May 21, 2015, 10:19 AM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
You really can't cheap out when it comes to RC helis. Even if you get a cheap kit from HobbyKing and use the cheapest electronics you can find, you'll still spend a lot more than $50. The problem with the cheap stuff is it's cheap. Half the time it doesn't work right or it fails quickly. Then you end up buying what you should have bought in the first place.

The HobbyKing kits are Align T-Rex clones. I've read a number of times on the forum here where people have had to replace all the moving parts with original Align stuff due to failure of the poorly made HK stuff. It ends up costing more than an Align kit. Then there are the costs of crash repairs due to component failure. There's also the safety aspect. A component failure can cause a helicopter to go out of control. Just buy an Align kit in the first place, don't waste your money on those HK kits. Some things you just shouldn't cheap out on.
were can i get an Align kit from
Old May 21, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by CraigHB
crash tested
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
320 Posts
My favorite shop is Amain, but it depends on where you are at. In my case they are one state away so shipping is fast and they offer free shipping on big orders. However, they don't always have the best prices, not really a discount shop. They do offer deals on selected items so they are worth a look. It's a large shop in Chico, CA and they have impressive stock.
CraigHB is offline Find More Posts by CraigHB
Old May 21, 2015, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
13,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsully993 View Post
were can i get an Align kit from
Almost anywhere

One of the strengths of Align is that they are very widely available and so are spare parts. They also come in 'Super Combo' kits that makes building much easier as all the parts needed to build the heli are included, unlike most other kits where you have to buy all the electronics separately.
Without knowing where in the world you are it's hard to make specific recommendations on where to buy.

For an Align heli that is genuinely good in the wind (450 size or up) you are going to have to add a zero on your $50 budget... Then on top of that you will need a transmitter, batteries charger etc.

This isnt a cheap hobby.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 21, 2015, 02:37 PM
Joined May 2015
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Almost anywhere

One of the strengths of Align is that they are very widely available and so are spare parts. They also come in 'Super Combo' kits that makes building much easier as all the parts needed to build the heli are included, unlike most other kits where you have to buy all the electronics separately.
Without knowing where in the world you are it's hard to make specific recommendations on where to buy.

For an Align heli that is genuinely good in the wind (450 size or up) you are going to have to add a zero on your $50 budget... Then on top of that you will need a transmitter, batteries charger etc.

This isnt a cheap hobby.
ive got 2200mah 2s lipo smart charger 2 4000kv outrunner moters 1 1900kv outrunner 2 turnigy 20amp escs a transmitter and receiver som servos
Old May 21, 2015, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by norcalheli
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,818 Posts
A 4000kv motor that's big enough to lift a heli won't do it with a 2s lipo. You're looking at 3s and up, and at least a 35 amp esc, 40 amp would be better. You might be able to use the 1900kv and double up your batteries, running 4s, but you will still need more than a 20 amp esc. Servos on the cyclic need to be matched with good torque, servo on the tail should be fast. 0.08 second/60 degrees or faster. Does the transmitter have CCPM mixing, as the heli you asked about on your other thread, the fly-barred HK450, requires in transmitter mixing.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli