to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by tearig
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined May 2014
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongmove View Post
Anyone want to make any other mods? I'm making the slots longer so you don't have to drill them out to fit SS motors. Aside from that it's just a 20mm longer copy so far.

last call for arms...

I have some red fiberglass that is 3/8" prob to thick but if you want them I can do that cheep.

I also can do 7075 al is any thickness..

If it is CF and the material is so expensive I would rather take a order before I cut these in the am...
tearig is offline Find More Posts by tearig
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by Hiway
Dirty Side Down.......o~^o
United States, MD, Sharpsburg
Joined Mar 2014
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearig View Post
last call for arms...

I have some red fiberglass that is 3/8" prob to thick but if you want them I can do that cheep.

I also can do 7075 al is any thickness..

If it is CF and the material is so expensive I would rather take a order before I cut these in the am...
Just now catching up- busy today.

I am down with the plastic if they are that cheap just for spares and giggles. The 7075 also sounds good- I do not need CF and my frame is G10. I actually like the G10 material when it is cut thick enough. Ultimately if I had to choose just one set- it would be the aluminum over the plastic. CF isn't even on my radar for this.
*just now checking messages too
Hiway is offline Find More Posts by Hiway
Old Dec 16, 2014, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2012
435 Posts
Aluminum set would kick a$$. I'd be interested as well... Unless I'm too late..
apvxtreme is offline Find More Posts by apvxtreme
Old May 20, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Hiway
Joined Mar 2014
1,516 Posts
Oh yes I did

Wondering who still flies theirs? Anyone?

With all the new and fancy smancy frames popping up, I have been suddenly feeling nostalgic. Spec racing is driving me to simplify. After looking at a bunch of possible frames for 3S Spec Class quad, I kept thinking back to this gem- my first, and still one of my fondest flying minis.

I broke out the bag that held the parts... saddened by the slight crack in the bottom clean plate. It felt, and is a bit heavy- but that was what made it so durable in the G10 material.

I remembered never having any luck getting parts or getting plates made- longer arms for 6in props. Well- our spec class will be mandating 5in props, so that doesn't matter, but...

...now I know more people. I also know a lot of folks may also find themselves simplifying. I think of the hassles with integrated electronics and ghosts in the machine I have dealt with as advances are made in the hobby and I come to the conclusion that a well soldered harness, lc filter, 12v BEC if I go above 3S, a micro osd with mwosd 1.3... heck- a LED strip if I feel like adding the weight, and this frame is only slightly heavier than many others at most- if I had it in CF it may be the same.

So I am currently working on having this frame recut if I can- all the plates and even considering having a 25mm longer arm made for 6in props. Getting the files so it could be done in CF if I desired even. Since the HD cam is not something I would run on the spec racer, this quad has killer balance with a center lipo up top. All in all a solid and reliable quad that in my opinion, is timeless and will always remind me of the times when I stepped into the realms of miniquads and this group here.

If anyone is interested or may need replacement plates, and while I have not confirmed if I will cut this, please contact me via PM to get on a list so I can contact you in the event I do. I am not doing this to make money- it is a personal venture to make an effective but inexpensive spec racer. If the frame were still available from the original maker and designer- I would never do this. I think we all can agree this thing flew darn nice.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by n-2-stuff
Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
1,134 Posts
Hey Hiway
I still fly mine every Sunday. It's my only 250 quad that has survived my abuse. We fly epp wings for combat and if my wing is down I will fly my BAH in the middle of the pack chopping it up with the wings. I have no fear of breaking anything but props of the occasional motor. I have had other minis carbon and G10 but the BAH has outlasted them all.
n-2-stuff is offline Find More Posts by n-2-stuff
Old May 20, 2015, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Hiway
Joined Mar 2014
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-2-stuff View Post
Hey Hiway
I still fly mine every Sunday. It's my only 250 quad that has survived my abuse. ...
I feel that- even though I took mine apart and it does have a very small crack in the plate- I could easily put it together and that crack wouldnt matter much if I put a dab of epoxy on it.

Great frame.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
1,134 Posts
I prefer G10 over carbon. Carbon it brittle and conductive. The POS nemesis G10 only lasted me a couple of months it was way to thin and Rob #1 knew it but Rob #2 was all about weight and money and we all know who won. I think there was a guy making all the parts kit without the hardware for 60.00 at one time. It is just sad to see such a great product go.
Old May 21, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Medicschors
MedicSchors
United States, WV, Beaver
Joined May 2013
167 Posts
Had one and really liked it. Broke an arm and when i tried to get the replacement he said he wasnt ho oring the replacement garentee . So i made some arms from plexiglass and flew it till i got a zmr 250 frame. The bah is my profile photo with tne arms i made
Medicschors is offline Find More Posts by Medicschors
Old May 21, 2015, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by Hiway
Joined Mar 2014
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n-2-stuff View Post
...The POS nemesis G10 only lasted me a couple of months...
Still have and flying both my G10 nd CF Nemesis- the G10 is about to get rebuilt for strictly 3S racing but as you mention- the thin plates are not going to take the crashes. I have babied it. I have broken an arm on the CF- but obtained replacements. The Nemesis is superior to the BAH v2.1, but I still like that no fuss with the BAH- It is faster and easier to tear down and fix. The Nemesis flies better, but is tedious on repairs. I think the weight of the v2.1 is insignificant when all is said and done regarding flight- but it comes into play when the quad crashes.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:10 AM
Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
Still have and flying both my G10 nd CF Nemesis- the G10 is about to get rebuilt for strictly 3S racing but as you mention- the thin plates are not going to take the crashes. I have babied it. I have broken an arm on the CF- but obtained replacements. The Nemesis is superior to the BAH v2.1, but I still like that no fuss with the BAH- It is faster and easier to tear down and fix. The Nemesis flies better, but is tedious on repairs. I think the weight of the v2.1 is insignificant when all is said and done regarding flight- but it comes into play when the quad crashes.
You must be running the plastic screws and flying over marshmallows
Old May 22, 2015, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by DForbes
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
Oh yes I did

Wondering who still flies theirs? Anyone?
I'm glad you asked Hiway!

I am loving my BAH frame. I built it last fall but really didn't have a chance to do anything since except hover tests until a few weeks ago and this quad is awesome. I just added some VOLO Led's the other night and I also plan to fly at night.

If you are going to duplicate this frame than count me in to! I really like what Rob did with the original frame and hope he is doing OK as I know he had some health problems at the time but that was awhile ago.

If you are looking for user feedback before you remake this frame. My wish list would include the following:

1. As cool as it looks I would remove the BAH cut out in the top plate as it limits where you can mount things, just make the top and middle plate (plate where the controller mounts) solid with few lighten holes / slots around the outer edges for straps and tie raps.
2. Build in some type of arm detent or feature so the arms can be lined up easier vs guessing when they are knocked out of alignment.
3. Add a hole in the top plate near the rear for antenna mounting.

These are just a few suggestions. Even if none of these ideas are included it would still be my favorite quad!

Thanks,

Dennis
DForbes is offline Find More Posts by DForbes
Last edited by DForbes; May 22, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:35 PM
Scott
Clovis,Ca.
Joined Sep 2006
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DForbes View Post
I'm glad you asked Hiway!

I am loving my BAH frame. I built it last fall but really didn't have a chance to do anything since except hover tests until a few weeks ago and this quad is awesome. I just added some VOLO Led's the other night and I also plan to fly at night.

If you are going to duplicate this frame than count me in to! I really like what Rob did with the original frame and hope he is doing OK as I know he had some health problems at the time but that was awhile ago.

If you are looking for user feedback before you remake this frame. My wish list would include the following:

1. As cool as it looks I would remove the BAH cut out in the top plate as it limits where you can mount things, just make the top and middle plate (plate where the controller mounts) solid with few lighten holes / slots around the outer edges for straps and tie raps.
2. Build in some type of arm detent or feature so the arms can be lined up easier vs guessing when they are knocked out of alignment.
3. Add a hole in the top plate near the rear for antenna mounting.

These are just a few suggestions. Even if none of these ideas are included it would still be my favorite quad!

Thanks,

Dennis
Yes
yes and yes
All great ideas