SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2015, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,026 Posts
Hi, guys.

I had the most fun yet with my Specter last Saturday. We were flying late in the day and it was extremely gusty, well over 30mph, so I began with the intent of just flying it like a warmliner. I stuck in the 1550 mah battery and was having a blast just climbing and diving. Then I found a spot that had consistent lift. The wind was blowing straight down a big gully and was getting deflected upwards by a line of trees. I got in a 75 minute flight with only three brief bursts of power. It wasn't until after the flight and looking back that I realized I had been dynamic soaring.

Alas. I got a little turned around on my landing approach and cartwheeled the bird into the side of a house. It's the first time I've ever hit a structure but my quick sacrifice at the end kept it well clear of my buddies and the picture window. I cracked the nose at the front corner of the canopy and bent the wing pins but there's no other damage and will be flying again by the weekend.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2015, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by dokken
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
airelons servo installation is nightmare
I have the same issue like Patatduif
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=555
I had to move servo more, anyway servo cover hide overlap nicely..
dokken is offline Find More Posts by dokken
Old May 20, 2015, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by dokken
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
servos inside
dokken is offline Find More Posts by dokken
Old May 22, 2015, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,026 Posts
Hi, guys.

Since I had to take the motor out for my repairs I switched back to the lighter, HK 2834, motor. It took me a couple flights to get the CG dialed back in but then had a great day for lift and managed a 48 minute flight. I brought it down because my eyes started watering. I did, however, run into something a bit disturbing during the repair.

I discovered that the glass cloth wasn't saturated and, at least in that spot, the strength was all coming from the gelcote. It was still an easy fix. I just poured in a bunch of CA then filled the crack with epoxy and micro balloons. I still think that the fuselage is plenty strong enough and one would fold the wings before over stressing it in flight. Mine even survived a 25 foot dead drop after I bounced off a tree not to mention having a prop brake at full throttle but it's something to be aware of.

Cheers!
Old May 26, 2015, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,026 Posts
Hi again, guys.

I was out again yesterday and caught one really massive thermal and got disoriented. As a result my poor Specter ended up going about twice as fast as ever before and it handled the rather sharp pull out with flying colors. The wings are stronger than I had thought.

Cheers!
Old May 26, 2015, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,525 Posts
Good to know it held together. I have twice re-shrunk the covering. A nice tight cover will do a lot to hold the wing in on piece

I am trying to train myself to pop spoilers before pulling out of those "oh sugar" nose first plunges.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old May 26, 2015, 05:31 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,026 Posts
I also finally replaced the dodgy hinge job with tape and that made it a lot easier to trim. After surviving a couple crashes I have been flying her a bit more aggressively and using a 9.5X8 prop to get more speed built up to carry through maneuvers. It's still not a hotliner but it's stronger and stiffer than it looks. I keep reinforcing my original conclusion that it's a nice little general purpose sailplane. The only place I want to improve upon with my next sailplane is to be more comfortable working low level lift.

Cheers!
Old May 26, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,525 Posts
I was greatly humbled when I balanced the plane for performance. at first I was very nose heavy. The farther rearward I pushed the c/g the better the plane flew. It was a real eye opener how much I was off at first flight. This plane can really glide. I would only add about 15 degrees of di or poly hedral in the wing set for thermal flight. Still, it is one hell of a plane for a small pocket of coin.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM