New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by jviss
United States, MA, Westborough
Joined Oct 2013
249 Posts
Build Log
Phoenix Model Spitfire Mk 2 Build Thread - jviss

Thought I would start a separate thread for my build. I've commented in other threads, but I don't want to drag them too far off, or hijack them (any more).

(Too bad there isn't more hierarchy in the forum, I would start a few sub-threads for discussions of various points).

I'm almost done with the wings. I have the ailerons and flaps cemented in, servos installed, gear installed. I have decided to not glue the wing panels together, and also to use two servos for the landing gear instead of one, so I can emulate the asymmetrical retraction of the prototype. I had problems. One servo tray was incorrectly assembled, the mounts too high, so the servo arm wouldn't clear the opening; I had to saw off about 3mm of the top or the mounts. The control rods varied a lot in diameter, so that I had to open the servo arm holes to differing diameters, from about 1.71 to 1.84mm. The combination of my servo arms and nylon snap keepers are such that they don't line up 'straight' with the regular, plier-bend I put in the ends of the pushrods; I think I'd have to make an extreme 90 bend for these to work, maybe even hit them with a hammer, but not sure even that would work.

I made flat trays for the gear servos, and will install small, 11g, metal gear, ball bearing, digital servos. These produce 2.5kg-cm torque at 6.0V which is about a quarter of the torque of the standard servos I'm using for everything else, at 1/5th the weight, each. I think it will be plenty to retract the gear, and with the standard arm uses almost the entire travel of the servo to bring the gear up, so it is taking advantage of all the available power.

I have started to think of what scale details I will add. True, this is a sport scale model, but some very important scale details are left out, details that make up the iconic image of the prototype. In particular, the radiators, guns, gun blisters on the wings, radio antenna mast, and rear view mirror. That said, I think I will use the Mk. IXc as the scale prototype, since this mark was operated with D-day invasion stripes, and is a very popular subject for scale models, thus there's a lot of reference material readily available.
jviss is online now Find More Posts by jviss
to remove ads between posts