SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by illflyanything
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
Discussion
starting out with heli's

Hi guys, I hope I'm putting this in the right section. iv been flying quad copters for 2 years. I have also had some experience flying park flyer foamies and im looking for a new challenge. I had a go with a friends coaxial heli but it was easier to fly than a quad so im looking for something more challenging. The two helicopters im looking at are the WASP X3 FLYBARLESS and the wltoys 912. The wasp is more expensive but being flybarless it might be more stable. I don't want to go for anything to big, Id like to stay below 450 size so I can still fly it in my backyard. any other suggestions would also be appreciated

thanks guys
illflyanything is offline Find More Posts by illflyanything
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by parakalien
Joined Apr 2015
22 Posts
Blade 120 SR ($125 RTF -Small and easy to fly, durable in crashes since there is so little mass)

Blade 200 SRX ($260 RTF -slightly larger and has beginner/intermediate/advanced modes with panic recover switch. If you have the cash and want to fly outside, get this one)
parakalien is offline Find More Posts by parakalien
Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Chairman of Circular Carnage
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parakalien View Post
Blade 120 SR ($125 RTF -Small and easy to fly, durable in crashes since there is so little mass)

Blade 200 SRX ($260 RTF -slightly larger and has beginner/intermediate/advanced modes with panic recover switch. If you have the cash and want to fly outside, get this one)
Good advice.

Add a used DX6i to the list (under $100) and you will be all set.

Having an easy to use computer radio with a built-in display takes the hobby to a whole new level.

The Wasp X3V is very quick and would not make a good trainer, but it is an awesome bird
with quality electronics. Just don't crash it.

Any 250 class CP or larger will instantly disintegrate upon any sort of blade strike.
$20 crashes are lucky, and $100+ crashes are not unheard of.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 07, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by holtneil
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,541 Posts
Hi mate I second that, I learnt on 3 skyartec wasps, and what they did teach me was how to fix a CP heli, 250 class helis are hard to fly ,It was the mpcx v2 that got me flying CP now they dont make them any more, so a micro is good to learn on, take a crash well you can fly them indoors and out take a look at the align 150 dfc your need a futaba or spektrum transmitter
Align Trex 150 DFC Combo First Look (13 min 50 sec)

Align Trex 150 at Prado 2013 (5 min 18 sec)

Align T-rex 150 DFC Stability (3 min 31 sec)
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I have found a shop locally that carries the blade range of helicopters. The blade 200 srx looks like it might be perfect for what I'm after. Transmitter wise I already have a spectrum DX6i which I use for my quad copters and foamies. if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Mixmasta belongum jeezus kraes
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,803 Posts
If you can fly quads with self-leveling disabled, the fixed-pitch 200SRX might not be much of a challenge at all. In the air, its behavior will be very similar to a quad.

For more agility and more of a challenge, you'd need a collective pitch (CP) heli. The Trex 150 which Holtneil mentioned is my personal favorite, although the Blade mcpx BL is good as well. (The Blade Nano CPX is more of an indoor bird, and the stock brushed motor can be troublesome. Bank another $50 for the brushless upgrade if you decide on the Nano.)
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by CaptJac
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illflyanything View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I have found a shop locally that carries the blade range of helicopters. The blade 200 srx looks like it might be perfect for what I'm after. Transmitter wise I already have a spectrum DX6i which I use for my quad copters and foamies. if you have any other suggestions please let me know.
The 200 SRX is an EXCELLENT choice and will teach you a lot. It is the most popular helicopter in its size and has some very innovative features and functions. The mCPx BL is a TERRIBLE choice. It is a micro in size - extremely fast and aggressive - difficult to fly - and designed as a 3D trainer. I bought one to replace one of my mCPx brush versions and it was a real handful to fly. It has a noticeable tail wag and has never been resolved by Horizonhobbies. They say it is "normal" for a bushless tail motor. I seldom fly it.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Chairman of Circular Carnage
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
If you can fly quads with self-leveling disabled, the fixed-pitch 200SRX might not be much of a challenge at all. In the air, its behavior will be very similar to a quad.

For more agility and more of a challenge, you'd need a collective pitch (CP) heli.
In agility mode the 200 SRX does not self-level, and it behaves just like a FBL CP with a scale pitch curve.

In fact, in agility mode, the 200 SRX behaves more like a CP than any quad.

It's an excellent trainer, and when you are ready you can disable self-leveling and
crank up the motor power (it ships with reduced motor power settings).

How many FP's on the market today can do a loop or roll?

The 200 SRX offers something for all skill levels.

If you are worried about the tail issues reported by some, rest easy.

Any and all reported tail problems are easily solved with an aftermarket ESC.

Mine is flying much smoother, with zero tail twitches.

It even sounds better.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 11, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
hey guys, just to let you know I went to the hobby shop today to have a look at the Blade 200 SRX and iv ordered one in. the one they had one in stock was a rtf package and I figured that since I already have a DX6i I could put the extra cash to something else. I had a look at a few smaller heli's but the guy at the shop said they are a lot trickier to fly. Hopefully I will have my new bird by the end of next week
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Mixmasta belongum jeezus kraes
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illflyanything View Post
hey guys, just to let you know I went to the hobby shop today to have a look at the Blade 200 SRX and iv ordered one in. the one they had one in stock was a rtf package and I figured that since I already have a DX6i I could put the extra cash to something else. I had a look at a few smaller heli's but the guy at the shop said they are a lot trickier to fly. Hopefully I will have my new bird by the end of next week
Good luck with your new heli

If you find that it's a bit too similar to your quads, the next step is a collective pitch bird. That's where the fun and challenge really kick in.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4