New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by igotit
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
Discussion
bixler v1.1 came in...im not a pilot.

im not an experienced pilot,i tried flying 2 years ago....ended in disaster within a few seconds of flight.
I did play on a sim a few years ago.

figured id man up a buy a bixler v1.1 rtf.
it arrived 10-14 days after I ordered from hk....with a high shipping price that I didn't agree with.
the box was on my doorstep ,arrived pretty beat.i feared the worst because the box had a long curve to it.
opened her up to find the fuse had been smashed in alittle,free 2 in crack in fuse (canopy area)1 wing tip was wrinkled up pretty bad,the fuse tail had a dent that caused tail to bow downward.

put her together,tested everything....then flew.
she flies great.....but I was in 8mph wind with upto 12 mph gust,twice while turning the wind pushed me over into a fence.the motor esc prop combo is underpowered for wind.she survived both fence encounters with only scuffing and scrapes.
I flew for around 15 mins total,landing every min or 2....when ever I felt I couldn't fight the wind id set her down.
I was in a school foot ball field....so I had plenty room.

after the flight...the motor feels tight to roll by hand,the esc was very hot,ripped the wooden washer out of the wing,tearing away the foam that supports the washer.
besides that....shes still flyable.
time for mods and repairs I guess.

I wanted to return it but didn't wanna deal with all the hassel,my friend bought a heli from hk,the gyro fell off the tail on first flight causing a crash($60) in damage hk told him after many emails it wasn't their fault,ect.but they offered him $20 off parts.

igotit is online now Find More Posts by igotit
Last edited by igotit; Jun 04, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts

Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Steve 0
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,387 Posts
Nice ram air system! Like the old real muscle cars.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jun 04, 2013, 10:13 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Nice ram air system! Like the old real muscle cars.
lets hope it works...lol.
im thinking bout adding another rear vent on the other side....but worried bout making the structure weak.im still learning how to fly....so im sure many more crashes will happen.

old muscle car style...big intake upfront...dual exhaust rear...lol
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:22 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts

Old Jun 05, 2013, 12:26 AM
Find More Posts by Steve 0
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,387 Posts
Looks good! My EasyStar 2 is just another version of the Bixler and many more clones of it out there. It has a small nose vent to draw in fresh air and an exhaust port, too. I will check for heat issues next time it goes up. Only flown it 3 times now. I'm just hitting 6 months of RC flying.

How did you get 1000+ posts if you're just learning to fly? That's a lot of posting!

I built dollar store foam planes to learn crashing on before trying these kind. The motor glider is what i'm liking lot now ,too. That and sloping gliders.
Steve 0 is offline Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jun 05, 2013, 01:02 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Looks good! My EasyStar 2 is just another version of the Bixler and many more clones of it out there. It has a small nose vent to draw in fresh air and an exhaust port, too. I will check for heat issues next time it goes up. Only flown it 3 times now. I'm just hitting 6 months of RC flying.

How did you get 1000+ posts if you're just learning to fly? That's a lot of posting!

I built dollar store foam planes to learn crashing on before trying these kind. The motor glider is what i'm liking lot now ,too. That and sloping gliders.
over 1000 post is from the buy sell trade,the heli section, boat section and car section.maybe 30 post in the plane section....my rc intrest is all over...lol.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
tonight I postal taped the plane,and received a sony 600 cam in the mail....wont use it anytime soon though.still gotta buy the rx/tx for the cam and power it....along with learning how to fly....lol.
I went to install my new turnigy 9x from hk tonight....but it seams they sent me a mode 1 tx....I ordered mode 2 (left stick throttle).my left stick is spring loaded.....not gonna work out for me.i could easily learn to fly mode 1 ....but id rather stick with mode 2.

Last edited by igotit; Jun 07, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,611 Posts
Nothing to changing the modes on the 9x.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Turnigy+...version/5832/1

Also you may want to a CF spar to the tail boom as it's not that strong to begin with, and cutting your cooling holes will make it worse.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jun 07, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Nothing to changing the modes on the 9x.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Turnigy+...version/5832/1

Also you may want to a CF spar to the tail boom as it's not that strong to begin with, and cutting your cooling holes will make it worse.
thanx for that link
a carbon spar and better prop was next on my mod list too.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
done the mode 2 swap in 6 mins easy....thanx again GG
installed,binded and tested the 9x.....works great on the bench....maybe tomorrow I can flight test it.
Last edited by igotit; Jun 07, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
where do you all buy your carbon rods from?
Old Jun 08, 2013, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,217 Posts
Will it climb near vertically? No? Is the prop on the right way round? And yes, with the standard motor/prop combination.

Mine climbs fast with a 2200mAh battery on board.

To same making shaped bits of plastic for airscoops use a cut-off plastic spoon. I usually fit 2 intakes at the front on the sides.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old Jun 09, 2013, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,611 Posts
You can get the rods/tubes from your hobby shop, places like Hobby King, and check out kite suppliers for em.

Or if you are a scrounger, like me, find yourself an old golf umbrella at the thrift shop.
They often use fiberglass rods for the structure. Couple of snips and you'll have quite a supply of em.

If you look at pictures of the earlier versions they actually had a slot in the bottom of the fuse, and a rod to install in it. The newer ones don't. Easy enough to install one on the outside, or if you buy the kit version you can do it on the inside. Mine has a CF plank down the bottom and a pair of rods down the sides all on the inside.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jun 09, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,617 Posts
im a scavenger...lol.
thanx for that info GG