Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by GBLynden
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
Discussion
Starmax F-18 EDF Jet (Blue Angel Paint)

I have to start off by saying I have been flying RC for about two years now and I love it!

My second plane was this jet and needless to say, it has been to hell and back. As a tribute to it, I am going to post a few videos I have of its flying history including a nasty crash that took place where it busted the canopy off and it still flew like a champ!

This is the very first recorded flight I made with it and only the second successful flight. The video is a little crude, but I am proud of it. The videos do get better as does my flying with it:
StarMax 64mm EDF F-18 Super Hornet Blue Angel - Third Flight Different Angle - Part I (1 min 21 sec)

Here is a really cool look at it being hand launched:
RC F-18 Super Hornet Quick Flight at Dusk. (1 min 27 sec)

Here is a the crash after a bad hand launch:
F/A-18 64mm EDF Jet Crash on Take-Off in HD (0 min 53 sec)

Here is a the flight immediately after with no canopy on it with high speed low passes:
RC F-18 Low Passes (2 min 33 sec)

The final video is a look at how it handles wind. With is its achilles heel for sure:
RC F-18 Dancing in the Wind (2 min 32 sec)

I am extremely pleased with my $109 Banana Hobby purchase. Everything is holding up after being abused and I couldn't be any happier with this plane!

Thanks for viewing and please feel free to share your pictures and videos to compare and contrast this with other EDF's.

GB
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Last edited by GBLynden; Jun 14, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,867 Posts
Great work GB
Another modeler caught the EDF bug!
If you like this version, you should try one of the 90mm size F-18's. They fly great!
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,974 Posts
Really great vids, GB! More fun than peanut butter under a dog's lips!

Amazing range of speeds for this plane; looks like you can slow it to a walk. What did Banana put in it for power? (I.e., motor kv, battery)
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:30 AM
Find More Posts by viperviper
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
906 Posts
try 70mm F-18: Correction: not Speed passes.... it's low altitude passes.... lol.

F 18 JR 3D 70mm flight (3 min 59 sec)
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Great work GB
Another modeler caught the EDF bug!
If you like this version, you should try one of the 90mm size F-18's. They fly great!
I did for sure! I am not sure I would be about to handle a 90mm, but I may look into that for my next jet. What kind of charger do you use for it and what is the suggested battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Really great vids, GB! More fun than peanut butter under a dog's lips!

Amazing range of speeds for this plane; looks like you can slow it to a walk. What did Banana put in it for power? (I.e., motor kv, battery)
It is a pretty solid plane for sure. The wind helps with the slow walk, but I also have it tuned just right after much trial and error.

It has a 64mm EDF fan and it runs on a 25c 1,300 mah 3S battery. I am not sure about the motor kv. It is listed as a 14L linear brushless motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
try 70mm F-18: Correction: not Speed passes.... it's low altitude passes.... lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIrYz4Uth0
Very fair point and WOW! What great flying!!!

What do you have in that thing?

GB
Last edited by GBLynden; Feb 22, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:13 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post

Very fair point and WOW! What great flying!!!

What do you have in that thing?

GB
Leopard 3400KV motor with CS 10 blade fan unit. Running on 4S 4000mah!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Joe 1320
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,540 Posts
I have a few Starmax F-18s that I have had for years. Great flying airframe. at some point, pull the esc and fan/motor. Upgrade to a 4800 KV motor and 40A esc. Performance will really step up. You can still use 1300 mAh 40C lipos to keep the balance.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:23 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I have a few Starmax F-18s that I have had for years. Great flying airframe. at some point, pull the esc and fan/motor. Upgrade to a 4800 KV motor and 40A esc. Performance will really step up. You can still use 1300 mAh 40C lipos to keep the balance.
Thank you for the suggestion Joe! Any specific suggestions for where to get something like those items and which ones you use?

GB
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:52 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
Here is my latest video with my jet. I am pushing the limits of my skill a little bit doing these stunts and tricks, but it is fun

Stunts and Tricks with the Blue Angel F-18 Hornet 64mm EDF Jet (4 min 19 sec)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:01 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
906 Posts
Quote:
Here is my latest video with my jet. I am pushing the limits of my skill a little bit doing these stunts and tricks, but it is fun

[url]]
nice video, but i thought it will be good if u hv not extended the landing gears since the field grass is patchy and thick. it will ripped off your retracts. May be u can try landing on tarmac road, and probably maintaining 10-20 % throttle input while landing will be good too...else the jet will just lost lift and slam down resulting in a heavy landing.... cheerS!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by Joe 1320
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,540 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion Joe! Any specific suggestions for where to get something like those items and which ones you use?

GB
I have used several different configurations in several of my Starmax jets. I believe the best "middle of the road" setup is to use a stock 5 blade fan, a 4800 kV out runner and a 40A esc for high rpm use. a 2200 Mah lipo rounds it out and you"ll find your new configuration has much better vertical performance, speed is better and the jet carries the weight very well. I do remove the divider between the two underside compartments and make it one long battery tray. There is a conversion batter tray available that is made out of ply, I may have an extra one or they are available from pmpjohn here on the forums. You could still use 1300 mah lipos but they better be 40C discharge or you will cook them quickly. Expect about a 38A load at wide open.
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:17 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperviper View Post
nice video, but i thought it will be good if u hv not extended the landing gears since the field grass is patchy and thick. it will ripped off your retracts. May be u can try landing on tarmac road, and probably maintaining 10-20 % throttle input while landing will be good too...else the jet will just lost lift and slam down resulting in a heavy landing.... cheerS!
Thanks!

That is great advice! The problem is that the landing gear is fixed and is already damaged, so I am just going to run them into the ground. It would surely damage the airframe if I tried to land on pavement because it would roll. I hand launch it because the front gear is already damaged and it is not controllable on the ground. The good news is that this is essentially my "Trainer EDF" and I have a new kit ready to be put to use as soon as this one can't hold up any longer. I will use the new one as you described as I want to keep it healthy as long as possible now the most of the learning curve is complete.

It is actually fun to have a "beater EDF" to take risks with

Thank you again for your post!

GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I have used several different configurations in several of my Starmax jets. I believe the best "middle of the road" setup is to use a stock 5 blade fan, a 4800 kV out runner and a 40A esc for high rpm use. a 2200 Mah lipo rounds it out and you"ll find your new configuration has much better vertical performance, speed is better and the jet carries the weight very well. I do remove the divider between the two underside compartments and make it one long battery tray. There is a conversion batter tray available that is made out of ply, I may have an extra one or they are available from pmpjohn here on the forums. You could still use 1300 mah lipos but they better be 40C discharge or you will cook them quickly. Expect about a 38A load at wide open.
I just tried out my new 1300 40C battery in this latest video and I did notice much better performance for sure!

The point about it carrying weight well is a good one. I have so much extra epoxy weight holding this thing together, it isn't even funny. It still flies extremely well and it has been one of the best RC purchases I have made, in spite of all of the ups and downs I have had with it.

Thank you for your information on this. It is very helpful!

GB
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:46 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
I took my out today in the wind and did some scale flying. I am extremely happy with how the video turned out!

Scale Flying with my Blue Angel F-18 Hornet 64mm EDF Jet Plus Bonus Take-Offs and Landings (4 min 54 sec)
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:20 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
I have recently only flown my newest EDF jets and as a result left this great plane on the shelf at home. That all changed today and I am pretty sure that I won't be leaving this jet at home much in the future as a result. Even though I crashed into a bush a full speed (see the video), I had a great time!

Enjoy!

RC F-18 Super Hornet 64mm EDF Jet Plus Bonus RC Jet Crash Full Speed Into a Bush (3 min 35 sec)
Old May 17, 2014, 01:03 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,861 Posts
I did my best to put on an air show for all to enjoy with this video! This is the BlitzRCWorks StarMax RC F-18 EDF jet in the Blue Angel paint scheme.

My good friend John captures it all on video using the great zoom on my camera with many of the highlights!

F-18 RC Jet Take-Offs and Landings in Berry Field at Sunset - RC Plane Fun (3 min 9 sec)

PS: I know the landings were not good, but I put them in there anyway for fun lol