New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2015, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by Todd Tracy
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Joseph, here's a video of the pano of you're picture.

Josephs Field (0 min 58 sec)

The horizon is not near level. Did you use a tripod? You took a lot of pictures! If you get a 8mm fisheye lens you can get the whole field with sky and ground in only 6 pictures which would make post processing much easier. I'm looking at a new camera and fisheye lens but I can't afford it now I just bought a new computer and a Scale Fuselage for my Walkera 450 helicopter!! But I want to get a good camera soon. If you have an I-Phone they make fisheye attachments for it. That would be the cheapest way to go but it would not produce as clear pictures.
If you look at FLICKR equirectangular pool there are 13000 some equirectangular pictures that is where I've been getting my images till I produce my own. Some posters there allow creative use of their images. They often tell you what camera and lens even how many photos they took and if it was handheld. That should be your next step look at some pictures there and look at the stats and comments.
PS: I could edit your image and put the missing parts of the sky in. And even fix some parts of the ground. But with the horizon not being level it would not be good. I believe I read somewhere that Hugin can fix horizon problems.
Todd Tracy is offline Find More Posts by Todd Tracy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Joined Jul 2011
225 Posts
Fisheye is not only good :-) resolution decreases alot. And they are quite distorted so PP might not be eaiser. A tripod and a normal wideangle is what I have come up works best. I use a 24mm equivalent focal lenght. On a leveled tripod. In portrait mode (!) I end up with 8 photos per turn. Three turns to cover height also. That makes 24 photos in total and then I get good resolution also.
Danny_Swe is offline Find More Posts by Danny_Swe
Old Jan 26, 2015, 06:23 AM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Most of the really good equirectangular 360 x 180 degree photos are taken with a fisheye lens!! A good fisheye does not have poor resolution and captures 180 degrees. In Hugin you have to put in the lens information focal length. The fisheye distortion is straightened out by Hugin.
But you are absolutely right Danny a wideangle will work fine!!

Alexandre Duret Lutz has posted hundreds Equirectangular photos he uses a 10mm fisheye and took 8 pictures for this photo.
Last edited by Todd Tracy; Jan 26, 2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by josephr
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Hello Todd,

Thank you for taking a look at my effort, I did use a Tripod and I think Photoshop has distorted things.

I have another image which is only two rows of the group I took and it is attached. In this case Photoshop has made it into a straight panorama and not twisted it.

So to go forward, if I was to get your help by sending you the individual files, as mentioned there are 132 images and each is a 350DPI in resolution, each image is 5184 x 3888 pixels in size, what would be the ideal size and resolution you would need to create the site?

I can then resize them and find a way to send them to you so you could weave your magic? What do you think.

Regards, JosephR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tracy View Post
Joseph, here's a video of the pano of you're picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCau...ature=youtu.be

The horizon is not near level. Did you use a tripod? You took a lot of pictures! If you get a 8mm fisheye lens you can get the whole field with sky and ground in only 6 pictures which would make post processing much easier. I'm looking at a new camera and fisheye lens but I can't afford it now I just bought a new computer and a Scale Fuselage for my Walkera 450 helicopter!! But I want to get a good camera soon. If you have an I-Phone they make fisheye attachments for it. That would be the cheapest way to go but it would not produce as clear pictures.
If you look at FLICKR equirectangular pool there are 13000 some equirectangular pictures that is where I've been getting my images till I produce my own. Some posters there allow creative use of their images. They often tell you what camera and lens even how many photos they took and if it was handheld. That should be your next step look at some pictures there and look at the stats and comments.
PS: I could edit your image and put the missing parts of the sky in. And even fix some parts of the ground. But with the horizon not being level it would not be good. I believe I read somewhere that Hugin can fix horizon problems.
josephr is offline Find More Posts by josephr
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Hi Joseph as it stands right now I wouldn't be able to stitch the photos together because I'm not good at Hugin. My dad has a digital SLR that I'm going to get a Fisheye lens for and learn how to do hugin with only 6 imagaes I think that would be easier.
If you could get a wide angle lens for you camera you could reduce the number of pictures needed. There is a site on the internet somewhere that can calculate how many pictures you need with the type of lens you are using. I think any program would have trouble with 132 images if you get a wide angle you could reduce the number to 50 or less as Danny Swe stated he only takes 24 pictures. He could probably assist you better with Hugin some people use a payware program called PTGUI which may be a little easier at creating the Equirectangular image from your photos. If you get to where you could make the Equirectangular image I will definitely make a Phoenix site for you. I can do it in under an hour and post it up here. I would put collisions on all the obstacles for you, basically you have to build boxes around them and draw the site out on Phoenix builder here is an example pic of what I'm talking about.
Old Feb 07, 2015, 08:40 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Hello Todd,

Have now managed to create the 6 cubic images and have them in various sizes 33Mb, 10Mb, 5Mb and 2Mb. You mentioned you would be able to build a site if I have the images, is that still possible and what size of image is best, then I have to work out a way to get them to you.

Let me know if you are interested......Regards, JosephR.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 03:21 AM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Hi Joseph I PM'd you.
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Hi Joe I have 2 images now it looks good. The first image has a dividing line in the sky I will try to edit that out as best as I can to keep the sky looking good.

RCPenrith (0 min 47 sec)
Old Feb 08, 2015, 07:19 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Todd,

Thank you, more images will come tonight and I will fix the one with the line.

Regards,.....Joseph.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:43 PM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
Penrith Field test

version 2 ground issue solved with additional plane.

see post 748 for new link

Joseph here's a test for you to play around with. I haven't added any collisions yet but I will it's a slow process because you have to put a box or cylinder around an object, rotate as necessary, then the hard part is getting the distance right it's by trial and error basically.
The field looks great. I wish the image of the sky was a little better. It seems to get a good sky image the original equirectangular image has to be about 12000x6000 or so.

Edit: Looks Like I'll have to work on the ground also when you fly to the left the ground seems right, but as you go to the right and land the horizon plane is too low so I'll have to try to add a sloping height map in that direction.
Last edited by Todd Tracy; Feb 09, 2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add text
Old Feb 09, 2015, 07:37 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Todd,

I was wondering about the ground plane, how do you move one if you have added a second, I have also been trying to build it to but struggled to get the model to appear to scale and fly as it does on other fields. I have used a Bixler and the controls seem sluggish and non responsive on the field I have built, yet when I use the model on a different field it fly's perfectly.

Don't understand.

When I get home tonight I will try your field and see if I encounter the same problems.

Again, thank you for your help.

Keep well. Regards, JosephR.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 07:48 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Todd,

Forgot to mention, the original Panorama image was 25,000 x 12500 pixels and I used PTGui to create the 6 cube faces. That gave me 6 Jpeg images that were 34Mb to 55Mb in size for the sides and bottom and 5.6Mb for the top. In Photoshop it say that these images are 7,480 x 7,480 pixels @ 96DPI. From there to get the images I have sent you I have used Photoshop to reduce the pixel size down to 4,000 x4,000 pixels.

Hope that gives you an idea of how I got the images. Regards, JosephR
Old Feb 09, 2015, 07:53 PM
Joined Dec 2014
38 Posts
You can add a second aircraft position.
As far as the issue you are talking about I have put in 3 intersecting planes. I think the issue with your field is it rises on both sides so one horizon plane does not work. Your scale appears off because the plane you create for the ground must match the plane in the image or the helicopter will keep going down and appearing smaller because it's not going to stop on the image ground but the plane you created so you have to raise that plane up with either a height map or with what I did with your field, create a new plane and change the slope of it. I actually have 3 planes on your field to keep the perspective right for all directions.

PS where do you want the airplanes starting position to be? Try my scenery out I think you will like the perspective issues solved by the addition of 3 ground planes as shown in the picture. I've done extensive testing and it seems good to me like this let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/36637w5l3...EAo46NcNa?dl=0
Last edited by Todd Tracy; Feb 09, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:01 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Hello Todd,

Did not know you could do that and shift a plane. Not sure I fully understand your explanation about why the model is not performing correct.

You are also correct that the field is flat in the middle but curves up on both ends, more so on the left hand side which is the side where the power poles can be seen.

The runway is in front of the pilots box, I was standing in the centre, left to right when I took the pictures. If you are looking towards the strip you will see the signs on the inside of the pilots box.

The start point for an Aircraft is, as you can imagine, depends upon where the wind is coming from, most start from left of the pilots box in the centre of the runway and take off to the right and 180 degrees opposite if the wind is coming from the opposite direction.

Helicopters typically start from the centre (Left to Right) of the pilots box with their tail pointing to the pilots box and the nose pointing to the centre of the field.

Hope this helps, regards, JosephR