HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:27 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Help!
Leopard 4092 1300kV WAY TOO MUCH HEAT!

Hi people!

I recently bought a Leopard 4092 1300kV motor for one of my boats. I decided to dry test it today to make sure everything was okay, and after about 20 seconds on maybe just over half throttle the motor was almost too hot to hold!

I am using a Swordfish Pro 200A ESC and 2x Zippy 5000mAh 40C 3S batteries to make 6s.

Surely there shouldn't be that much heat on a motor on half throttle with no load!

Thanks if you can help!
The_Angry_Saxon is offline Find More Posts by The_Angry_Saxon
Last edited by The_Angry_Saxon; Jul 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Missed out information
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:50 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,301 Posts
It's a bad idea to run an unloaded motor for that long.
A free running motor will create a fair bit of heat.
Also, it is a D wind motor The timing in the ESC needs to be down around 1-3 degrees. Not sure what the default setting is on the swordfish but you will probably need to change it.
Did the ESC get hot?
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:55 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Oh right, I just assumed running it with no load would be easy for a motor. The ESC is set to default, which is "Auto" so it should automatically adjust the timing. And no, the ESC was stone cold.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:58 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
I forgot to ask: How come a motor with no load would generate a lot of heat?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:55 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,301 Posts
Someone smarter than I in electrical theory will have to answer that for you.
All I know is that it does. I've seen it myself. Especially at part throttle. The ESC can get hot too. That's why I asked.
But it can also be a faulty motor.
If you did spin it up to full throttle at the start it could have thrown a magnet which will create a lot of heat.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:09 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Ah right. When I first started it up, I only applied a little throttle, but then opened up a little bit later. I noticed it really jolted when it starts spinning. Whether that is just the torque or an actual problem, I don't know.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:24 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Angry_Saxon View Post
The ESC is set to default, which is "Auto" so it should automatically adjust the timing.
Hi TAS,

I recommend you program the ESC to the lowest timing, before running the motor in the boat.

As you now know from this and other threads, running a brushless motor on the bench at partial throttle for a longer period of time is not done.

If you like smoke signals, try the same with a two pole motor and you may smoke both motor and ESC (don't ask...).

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:46 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
Oh right. Yes I do know that now haha! I will send off for a USB linker so I can program the ESC on my computer.

Seems odd that that would happen from a half throttle test, but I'm sure there's some sciencey electronic principle that would explain why it happens!

Thank you for pointing that out, at least I won't destroy any motors or ESCs now!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:52 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2014
53 Posts
I have ordered a USB linker so I can program the ESC on my PC and adjust the timing. I will post back here with the results of that.