HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:42 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,353 Posts
I am not a builder or flyer, I am a Modeler who designs, builds, and flies my models.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
@pencon

Looks like it saw lots of action against the RCAF! Nice job!
no_spamola is offline Find More Posts by no_spamola
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:06 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1 View Post
No one here is looking down their nose at RTF and ARF fliers.
Dereck is
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
Additcted to high wings
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2011
183 Posts
So I may be different than all of you. I get the MOST joy out of rebuilding or saving old planes. I cannot stand to see an older plane abandoned. Unless you run over it with a car or just plant it in the ground like a turnip, I think I can fix it. I buy planes from Craigslist and places like that and bring them back to life. I have built a coouple, but I think I really more so enjoy bringing one back to flying condition and getting her back in the air.

I have lots of planes, but most of them have some sort of story. Only one or two were just bought and flown. None of them were bought new from a store.
Midnite_rider is offline Find More Posts by Midnite_rider
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,385 Posts
Looks much nicer! As far as blue goes, that's probably as visible as you could make it.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Hey-you can't fool me ! That came out of the Elliott Aviation Repair Facility !

Owned by you. l o l...... Hi Kerry..

Man it does look nice...good job.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:58 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
615 Posts
I'm must be one of the weirdo younger guys at 27 and I love building. On have one ARF in my hanger and that was given to me by a fellow club member who won it but had no interest because it was balsa and he likes foam.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
Dereck is
Yes, but he is expected to. If he didn't we'd suspect he had been replaced by an alien clone.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:14 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Yes, but he is expected to. If he didn't we'd suspect he had been replaced by an alien clone.
No self respecting alien would clone him How you been, stranger? PM me since that would be OT here..
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:49 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue View Post
No self respecting alien would clone him How you been, stranger? PM me since that would be OT here..
Been busy selling my old house so I could buy a different house (that I could afford), with land that I can build a new workshop on, so I can have a place to scratch-build or kit-build models from (as well as hot rods, brew beer, etc )

I moved to Wake Forest, about a mile from the old RAMs field. Too bad we can't fly there anymore.

Workshop build will be another thread.

See, remotely on-topic.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:57 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,804 Posts
Men always want a workshop with a house attached

Wives always want a house with a dog kennel within yelling distance.

Certainly not OT.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:16 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
The worst thing about ARFs and PlugNPlay is that I can't carry on a conversation about construction and model design with the owners because they don't even speak the same language. It is often necessary to define most of the terms that all true modelers already know.
Gotta chuckle: a bunch of us fly at a local metropark, virtually all scratch built foamies, from simple profile streamer combat planes to full fuse replicas of real planes like the one below. There is one guy who is usually there, who only seems to fly arfs or RTF's, gets most of the newest ones, flys them very conservatively, and is tough to have a conversation with just as you said. We just don't speak the same language! He's added a purchased co pilot figure to hisT28 ARF, while I just scratch built the Edge 540 from 3 views with it's own carved pink foam pilot.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
oops i crashed
Chile, Valparaíso, Viña
Joined May 2011
54 Posts
Im currently 16 and was introduced to this hobby when I was 6. That year I built a Gentle Lady Glider from I brief explanation of how to follow plans and the frequent look over the shoulder of course. Covering was a different story... (I only got to draw what I wanted and got a lot of help). Down here in Chile, as with everything, our hobby is a few years behind so 10 years ago ARF where just starting to arrive here. I got lucky I guess. Im sure Im not the only one when I say that the gratification one gets from seeing results out of months, even years of work in unbeatable! The plane is yours! your paint, your work, and your confidence in that work. You even treat them better. (I'm speaking for my self here). I recently took the big leap which scared me for a while of scratch building. My Monett Moni is a work in progress and is being logged here on RCG. I only have one almost ARF which is still great, but I just don't have that "Emotion" about it.

I don't wanna stir up any heat, but I really don't like foam for scale airplanes, I just think its lame. I probably cant even explain why, I just don't. I'm not saying its not a whole other art in itself (which it is)

Like I said, just MHO.

Dave
oopsicrashed is offline Find More Posts by oopsicrashed
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:23 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
785 Posts
I say fly what ever grings you enjoyment. problem with us old guys is building was once all we knew, no such thing as a ARF or RTF but ya gotta admit some of those ARF's are getting real nice and you can't build them for their price.

I enjoy building partly because I have the time to fill doing it, lots of you don't and then there is a need for a place thats safe to work and wo'nt make family members sick or stink up the house. That alone is enough to see why the ARF's and RTF models are so popular.

I don't think we should bash anyone because of what they fly or how they got it.

Leroy
Leroy Gardner is online now Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:04 PM
Additcted to high wings
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2011
183 Posts
Honestly.... it's all good. I would not bash a guy who went out and bought a trailer full of RTF's. I would personally do everything I could to help him get them in the air. I would put him on a buddy box and fly with him until one of us cried uncle. When I fell head over heels in love with this hobby a few years ago I said I would do my part to make sure that it continued on. That it would not be replaced by video games. (While I do love my Realflight sim) Earl (Epoxyearl) told me something after we first started talking, that I will never forget..... spend time with the people that are curious, take the time to show them your plane, answer their questions and make a good introduction to the hobby. What he DIDN'T say was... make sure they are builders or run them off... we don't need them.

I have personally introduced 4 people to the hobby. 3 of them currently fly (one flies heli's but I count him anyway) One of them owns 10 airplanes, one owns 4 or 5 and about to purchase another. One of them has a couple of planes but doesn't fly now due to personal situation. I don't care where their planes come from or what they are made of, I am just glad they share my passion for something I love so much. I took one of them to the trade show in Perry Georgia 2 weekends ago. The look on his face was worth it all. He spent the first day walking around in total disbelief.

My club field is full of electric ARF's. They make fun of my "greasy old nitro planes". But that doesn't change the fact that I love to be out there hanging out with those guys. My self... I would fly a mailbox if I could get wings on it. And I really wouldn't care if it had a battery, glow engine, weedeater engine or a bottle rocket tied to the back. I just love airplanes.

I have met some really great people through this hobby (Earl) and that's what counts to me. There are some jackasses in this just like everything else. I guess that's what a corp sponsorship will do to you.

I guess the bottom line is "SHUT UP AND FLY"!!!!!!!!!
Midnite_rider is offline Find More Posts by Midnite_rider