HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Laid the wings out and fitted to the fin.I'm quite pleased with how this looks,hope I can say the same after it gets some air under it's wings.
Along with the full span 12k to the spars,I think I'll run 6k on the line in front of the hinge line,and sink a carbon rod just in front of the spar out as far as the servos.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Last edited by Stupot46; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Finally got the wings joined.So Thks2 is now 1mp
I had to prop up the centre to get the beds flat,so to ensure no sag in the boards I fitted them with angle iron stiffeners.6mm packing at the centre and a shim either end brought them dead level.
Glued it over night.I'd also set up some clamped blocks against the wing tips to ensure a tight joint.
Last night I cut a ply hard point for the wing bolt.The other day I found a new toy,a Dremel tool meant for cutting tiles,on sale half price.Makes an excellent router.So fitted the plate in place using this.Just behind the plate I've grooved out for a line of tow.This might be overkill,but it should stiffen what is a thin area.
I decided to fit an "I" beam type joiner spar,a ply strip with carbon caps.So routed a slot on the wings cg,and cut a spar to fit just below the surface.
Last pics are a dry run before committing epoxy.The clamp over the hard point holds the wing in place,a block against the l/e pushes it tight to the ply spar.
The spar will also act as a back up for a hard point to take a locating dowel into the canopy former.I'll fit this in the centre of the hatched area once the rest is dry.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Full span 12k carbon on the spar line.It didn't show much on the previous pics,but I'd managed to get the grooves a couple of mm out of line at the centre,which is a bummer.So set to work and did a bit of blending with the spar cutter,hence the slight curve.I also had to clean the groove in a few places where epoxy had pooled.
After all that the tows went in well,best effort so far.
The fin also got some tow either side of the front edge.I'm hoping the whole shebang will end up a touch nose heavy so I can do Marks foam infill and glass- or maybe infill and tissue.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Forgot the pic
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:11 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
I laid in the top full span and joiner tows last night. This morning I've cut a ply hard point for the top and routed it in place.This is set lower to allow the nylon washer/ bush to sit flush.Once the plate is epoxied in place I'll cut a balsa infill to go over it.
The unc bolt isn't long enough,I've found some nylon pan heads on line.
Next jobs in the queue are cut and fit a hard point in front for a dowel,though I can't drill for this until the wing is sheeted/bolted in place.
A just to be sure line of tow in front of the hinge line.
Generally tidy up the wing;I managed to get epoxy pooled again,the leading edge balsa needs a final sanding.
And the obligatory bench fly pics.
The rudders have been a pain.I ran out of the grey primer,the replacement dried looking like mud flats in the sun! Tried thin coats etc to no avail,so sanded back and found some Krylon.Great improvement.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Bit more done.I routed some more out of the servo pockets,after belatedly realising I hadn't left enough clearance to open the clevis's.Then fitted a hard point for a locating dowel.First made up a shaped frame using the wing bed,and cut it out to act as a template.Fixed the block in place with some micro balloons in the mix.The dowel will have to be loose,pushed in from the front.Once everything is in place the wing will sit fairly close between canopy and fin.
I've left the block proud of the upper surface so it can act as a core for a fairing extending over the canopy former.
Got myself another new toy.Maybe it's because I can't grip as tight as I used to be able,particularly small stuff,I've been having problems with Exacto blades working loose.So got myself a Swann Morton knife.The blades,which have a longer edge than the Exacto,just click into the frame.I find the flat handle easier to hold and to keep a square cut line with.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Lucky guy you are, able to build each single day !
Keep up the good work
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: prototype time
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
Lucky guy you are, able to build each single day !
Keep up the good work
Thanks Vince.This has been a steep learning curve,but all the info is out there,just got to hunt it down.
I need to get this(and other stuff)flyable,I could do with some outdoor exercise.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Why do you guys call this stuff spackle? Anyhoo,blathered some lt weight FILLER on the top surface.Found over the years the best way to use this is to apply it,pushing it into the surface,then leave it a minute or so and go over it with a wet blade,held as flat as poss.Keep the blade clean by rinsing/sponging repeatedly.Same way a plasterer works.Here endeth the lesson.
While waiting for the FILLER to dry I attacked a length of glazing bead with the razor plane.The bead already has a "nose"so is fairly easy to get a l/e out of.Just roughed for now,final shaping on the wing.
Gave the top surface a light sanding,feels ok but looks terrible(ding ding!)
Just filled the other surface,kept the wire slots clear with split straws
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
http://www.ubercraft.com/assets/file...20SEQUENCE.pdf
Cribbed this idea from the link.
Popped the servo and linkage in place,connected to a template I adapted from Invertmast's build.When I'd got the straw as central as possible,took it apart,smeared some petro jelly on it and reassembled.A piece of masking tape to stop the glue getting onto the servo.Fine spray of water and pu glue.The problem with the glue in this application is the set time,I had to constantly check that the foaming action hadn't disturbed any thing.There are some rapid set aerosol foams available,which may be worth trying in future.
When dry,a twist with some fine nose pliers and the straw came out easily(whew!).
Not a bad result,just a bit of fill to the top surface.
Been giving a bit of thought to hatches over the servos.I think after the lower surface is sheeted I'll cut out maybe 5mm around the pocket and route out for a frame.To prevent any damage to the wiring I'm going to open up the slots to the centre and set some thin straws in with epoxy/ micro balloons.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Straws for the servo wires set in,wax paper templates drawn.
The next job is sheeting the wing.Lower surface first on one half.I've left an overhang(underhang?)at the trailing edge.This will be mitred back to follow the contour of the top surface,and the top sheeting will lay on top.Some fill repairs needed on the edge.
Set up for a dry run.I've run some clear tape along the bed edges where there's a chance of the epoxy squeezing out
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
First sheet on.Some of the epoxy squeezed through the balsa and onto the wing bed,which I wasn't expecting.Luckily the foam gave way,so no harm done,except to my pulse rate! The grey marks were left by the steel weights when I made the sheets up.
Second upper sheet in the press,waxed papers in this time.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
So.....arose this a/m,and inspected the wing which I'd taken out of the press late last night.As can be seen in the first pic,it has developed a bit of dihedral.I have no idea as to why.
I've put it back in the press and packed the other panel up slightly beyond where it needs to be.I'll be out most of the day doing G'dad stuff and hoping it looks better when I get back.
I'm thinking that maybe I should do the other surface in one operation,but that will mean purchasing more timber,steel and the expensive item,clamps.Could do without that at the moment.
Thinking aloud- with the lower surface having less curvature,if I set the wing up on the existing boards I could use weights- buckets of water,small children etc to press both together.Some composite flooring panels to spread the weight
Any comments?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:19 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,653 Posts
Ancient Chinese Wisdom - Dihedral Good
Droop Ugly!!
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
Ancient Chinese Wisdom - Dihedral Good
Droop Ugly!!
Got enough problems with droop without building it!
Stuart