SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Thanks for the input about the chips guys. Like I said I had nothing to compare it to since I didn't look prior to flying it. Hopefully it's just the motor. My eyes aren't good enough any more to see that stuff without a hefty magnifier. It looked wrong to me from what I could see.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:09 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
I have been flying my nano for three days now. First post in this thread and haven't had time to read back posts. My question is does anyone have an issue when trying to hover the heli it getting a toilet bowl effect going. It just keeps going in counter clockwise circles and it gets pretty hard to keep in one spot and it only seems to do it at a hover. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop this.... Thanks,,,,,
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
The mcpx is ideal if you've got the room to fly it (gym scale). A lot of plastic model kits come in a good mcpx scale, which can then be used to make molds for lighter bodies.

But I'm ready to jump on a whole new wave of 'living room' scale micro helis with the nano
I always thought the mcpx was a good indoor heli. Flew all of mine including multiple revisions of brushless 98% of the flights were inside my office or in my condo. I really enjoyed doing spot landings and courses with them in my house.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:18 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I pretty much settled on the same type rates for indoor flying too Joel. I also softened up the middle of the pitch curve a little to make it less jumpy around mid stick.
Hi Turnerm,

Nice to see you in here! I might have to try that with the pitch curve. Collective is definitely a bit more sensitive than I'd like. Looks like I need to order some fresh Hyp 160s for the bird. Mine are all over 3 years old with 200-300 cycles on them & they've been sitting for a year or more without a storage charge, so they're getting a bit tired.

Batts are charged again. Time to fly!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyair View Post
The board looks ok. My guess is that you have a bad motor. Mine sounded strange from the start and never quite made power before dying at around 40 flights or so.... I already had a few spare motors on hand and the second one has been fantastic now for about 20 flights, and I'm hoping for the best.

I emailed Horizon and they said the motor isn't covered under warranty.

I'm thinking the quality control of the main motors may not be very good right now. I only hope it improves
That is truly disappointing. If they are selling a premium product they should be using parts that are good enough to warranty, at least for 50 flights IMHO or some period beyond "I opened the box and the warranty ended". Perhaps they are reaching for the status of the mall kiosk.

I had a coworker today that told me he bought each of his daughters a heli at the mall just like the mCPX I was flying and they were both broken so he was considering buying more because they were only $40. I patiently explained the differences about why mine wasn't the same as what he had bought. Perhaps he was right.
Last edited by NwRcFlight; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:43 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
The blade 450 you can do a factory reset and fly.
That would be awesome if that is the case. However, I've called Horizon twice. When I explained the note I received the first guy told me I had to do the reset and at least step G (servo centering). The other one told me I had to do the reset and a complete setup. He told me to call back if I needed help doing it (duh!). My work keeps me on the road a lot and I haven't had time to do anything on it.

If all I have to do is a factory reset that would be great but it begs the question "Why didn't they do it when they had it (probably would have taken less than a minute) instead of make me dig out the manuals and find out how to do it". The Horizon I used to know was world class and would have done the reset.

I've looked it up the reset process now, I just haven't done it yet. With the luck I've been having it seemed better to let it sit rather than jump in to it and have it crash.

I've just spent the available time flying the 130X, 300X mCPX and a few flights on the Nano.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Turnerm,

Nice to see you in here! I might have to try that with the pitch curve. Collective is definitely a bit more sensitive than I'd like. Looks like I need to order some fresh Hyp 160s for the bird. Mine are all over 3 years old with 200-300 cycles on them & they've been sitting for a year or more without a storage charge, so they're getting a bit tired.

Batts are charged again. Time to fly!

Joel
What rates were they?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight View Post
That would be awesome if that is the case. However, I've called Horizon twice. When I explained the note I received the first guy told me I had to do the reset and at least step G (servo centering). The other one told me I had to do the reset and a complete setup. He told me to call back if I needed help doing it (duh!). My work keeps me on the road a lot and I haven't had time to do anything on it.

If all I have to do is a factory reset that would be great but it begs the question "Why didn't they do it when they had it (probably would have taken less than a minute) instead of make me dig out the manuals and find out how to do it". The Horizon I used to know was world class and would have done the reset.

I've looked it up the reset process now, I just haven't done it yet. With the luck I've been having it seemed better to let it sit rather than jump in to it and have it crash.

I've just spent the available time flying the 130X, 300X mCPX and a few flights on the Nano.
I guess I tend to over simplify. You need to reset then do g for servo center, j pitch geometry and k total pitch travel. Everything else on default will be fine and should take under 5 minutes as they make a special default (different than a stock ar7200x) on the beastx for each blade heli

I don't think they setup any heli and they just makes sure it works and mail it off. They did similar with my 300x it came back mechanically off.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Thanks for the tips on flipping the Nano to inverted, I had it out at the field today and worked on my technique, and I was able to flip, and flip, and flip all over the place, it was great! I think I have worked out the speed with which I need to work the sticks in order to get it to flip in a tight location. Or so I thought, I get home, try it in the living room, and crash! So I've determined that it's not my technique, but my brain that's causing my issue. In the house I'm worried to much that I'm going to hit something, outside I'm not. So outside I'm more relaxed, and really not actually concentrating on what I have to do, I just do it. But now when I'm in the house, I'm overthinking it, I'm concentrating on my thumbs to much, and what I have to do. I just need to get over that and DO IT!

Just like the problem I have flying my 450x inverted. With my 130x, I can fly that all over inverted, do figure 8's inverted, fly inches off the ground inverted, etc. I get out the 450x and I get scared, and then start getting dumb thumbs. Except for today, I had been flying the Nano around all over the place inverted, got out the 450x, inverted it, and brought it down to about 4 feet off of the ground with a nice steady inverted hover! That might still be high for a lot of you pilots, but that is the lowest I've ever had my 450x inverted, and I wasn't nervous one bit! And I think I owe it to the Nano and what I was doing just before flying the 450x. And that was one of the reasons for getting the Nano, so I could practice with that without having to spend the extra money on broken 450x parts.. LOL.

But back to the Nano, I must have crashed that thing 20 times by now, and it's still flying. I did bend the feathering shaft slightly, but I was able to use a pair of pliers to straighten it out, I just put the bent shaft in the mouth of the pliers and basically used it like a vice and pressed the bent shaft back. It is probably still a little bent, but I do plan on picking up a replacement tomorrow at LHS.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:58 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,391 Posts
Does anyone have any better settings for the DX6i than what is in the manual?
Jake8131 is online now Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:02 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
I have been flying my nano for three days now. First post in this thread and haven't had time to read back posts. My question is does anyone have an issue when trying to hover the heli it getting a toilet bowl effect going. It just keeps going in counter clockwise circles and it gets pretty hard to keep in one spot and it only seems to do it at a hover. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop this.... Thanks,,,,,
I have had my Nano for two days now, and last night I was having the toilet bowl effect, or what seemed like one. So I got to reading through this thread and found where it was mentioned on how to check if your feathering shaft is bent. So I checked that, and my shaft was slightly bent. If you remove one blade, then use one of the tools that they supplied with the parts bag (the funny looking black thing), slide the tool in through the end of the blade grip and connect it to the feathering shaft end, then turn it, if your shaft is bent you will see the other blade/blade grip move around.

If the feathering shaft is bent I think the gyro starts to fight it trying to keep the helicopter level. And this might be causing the toilet bowl effect.

So what I did was pull out the shaft, and then used a pair of pliers and placed the shaft in the mouth of the pliers and used it like a vice to straighten the shaft. I plan on getting a new shaft tomorrow when I run to the LHS.

After doing this I no longer have the toilet bowl effect. So I would check your feathering shaft, and see if that is your problem.

Hope that helps.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I am about to try a 180mAh mad dog on my stock and my brushless. I bet it gives them both a bit of pep
I set my Pitch Travel to 110% and that made a huge difference
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:48 AM
OSMBuddha
KC Mo
Joined Mar 2007
784 Posts
I love this thing! It makes inverted tail down funnels easy! Can't wait to fly it at our next indoor......
nagayama13 is offline Find More Posts by nagayama13
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:32 AM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
I've scanned this thread, so I apologize if this question was asked and I missed it. I'm primarily an airplane guy, but have been flying my MSRX for a year or two now. I'm decent flying it outside - banking turns, fast passes, I can pretty much make it do whatever I want it to. Inside, however, I find it a bit hard to control in a tight space (read that, if there is a wall, I'm going to find it).

I'm very intrigued by this little thing, but don't want to get in over my head for the price of this little thing. Is this too big a leap from an MSRX?

I moved up to this from an mSR. I had it mastered so I figured it was time. I will say it was a hefty next step, but a very fun and challenging one. I am still not comfortable with it indoors yet, but it's getting easier to control it in the front yard. Grass landings (crashes) have yielded no damage so far, but it takes some practice getting used to flipping the TH switch. Get one, you won't regret it!
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:06 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I have had my Nano for two days now, and last night I was having the toilet bowl effect, or what seemed like one. So I got to reading through this thread and found where it was mentioned on how to check if your feathering shaft is bent. So I checked that, and my shaft was slightly bent. If you remove one blade, then use one of the tools that they supplied with the parts bag (the funny looking black thing), slide the tool in through the end of the blade grip and connect it to the feathering shaft end, then turn it, if your shaft is bent you will see the other blade/blade grip move around.

If the feathering shaft is bent I think the gyro starts to fight it trying to keep the helicopter level. And this might be causing the toilet bowl effect.

So what I did was pull out the shaft, and then used a pair of pliers and placed the shaft in the mouth of the pliers and used it like a vice to straighten the shaft. I plan on getting a new shaft tomorrow when I run to the LHS.

After doing this I no longer have the toilet bowl effect. So I would check your feathering shaft, and see if that is your problem.

Hope that helps.
Cool, thanks brother, I'll give that a shot