HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:44 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Discussion
Model Building Tools

I know that a while ago someone advertised a set of 'Hobby' tools in airborne.
Had all the cool stuff for building from plans, etc.. Like saw, mitre box, knife and blades, plane, stripper etc..

Any one remember who sells these or where I can get one?

Rob
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,074 Posts
Hope this helps. I dont see any kits but he has a huge range.
http://www.hobbytools.com.au/index.htm
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:18 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
I've been building planes since I was a pup, and mostly it's been scratch building, and to be honest I think a lot of the modelling tools are overrated, or overpriced. I'm a tightarse.

So lets go through the list;

Saw, the razor saws from hobby shops are good, (look for a zona saw) but sometimes the spine on the back gets in the way, I prefer a pull saw, or at a pinch, like when I lose my zona saw, a sharp fine tooth hacksaw blade will do. these babies are also great for getting into tight spaces if you need to.

mitre box
, I have one, I cant remember the last time I used it. These days most zona saws come with a box, if you're worried about cutting straight it's probably worthwhile, but in most building applications the saw cuts are rarely 90° or 45°.

Knife here's where paying good money pays off. I started with a stanley trimmer. Just don't go there. for your money a good exacto knife will last you a lifetime. Just buy lots of blades, especially if you're covering. I use an über skiver knife, as it was a present many years ago. a great knife but an exacto does the same job. I know that aldi had a set on sale a while ago, they look ok but the plastic holder worrries me. as for blades, I used to buy packs of 500 #11 blades, but haven't found a supplier for them for years. Now I just buy a vial of 10 everytime I go to the LHS.

Plane ooh I love my plane. Mine's so old it's been ground down to a nub ( it pays to sand the face flat every now and then to stop a centre hollow forming. If you can find a metal one, do it, you'll never look back. mine is a ZIP plane, which takes a razor blade. bloody brilliant for shaping down blocks in hurry.

Stripper haha, does she have tramp-stamps? Oh and a pair of clear heeled shoes!

The simplest ones are the master airscrew strippers. but if you're cheap like me, you can make your own. these are way out there but they'll do everything apart from make you a cup of coffee.

Right, thats what you've asked about, now lets go through some of the other important tools.

1. Steel Rules I have 4, one little (150mm) one medium (300mm) one not-so (600mm) and one huge 1m one. different tools for different jobs, if I had have only one it'd be the 600mm, it's probably the most versatile.

2. Sanding blocks. you can't sand straight without a block, hell you can't even sand a curve effectively without one! There are rubber sanding blocks at bunnings, worth the money, and while you're there get yourself a bunch of rolls of varying grades, 80,120l,180,240... and if you're going to paint, 360, and 600.

3. Clamps
, you'll need clamps, for small stuff, simple pegs are hard to beat, but I have a stack of G clamps and F clamps for bigger stuff. They don't have to be expensive, but they have to work when you need them. I grease mine regularly, just to make sure they'll turn while I have epoxy going off.

4. This is probably the MOST IMPORTANT TOOL, EVER if you're planning on building. A good sized, STRAIGHT building board, that will handle the weight of your crud on it, and not warp, bow, bend, go wonky. If you're really anal, the best thing is a pool slate. Sooo flat. I then put a peice of gyprock down to take pins for building. An old door will work at a pinch but take your sweet sweet time levelling that thing out. Warped planes never fly well.

Ok, I've got sore hands after that, but hopefully that gives you some direction, and I hope you enjoy building, I think I like it more than flying sometimes.

sometimes
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:16 AM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Curare,
Thanks for that great info.. I've really enjoyed the kits I have done and am now looking forward to starting in scratch building..
(It helps that I work at a place that has wide format printing upt to 42inch x as long as you want, so that I can print some PDF plans).

I will start building up my collection.. What do you suggest for cutting ribs ect out of sheet balsa?

Rob
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:17 AM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorrock View Post
Curare,
What do you suggest for cutting ribs ect out of sheet balsa?

Rob
Where possible the sandwich method works well.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutori...wing-ribs.html
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:03 AM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
There's some good advice there. Over the years it is amazing just how many tools you pick up.
I got a couple of surgical scalpels and quite a few blades from a friendly nurse while waiting to give a blood sample. Scalpels aren't good if you need to apply heaps of pressure (like for cutting balsa a lot) as there's a thin part on the blade holder plus sometimes the blades actually break. I just resharpen any dull blades on a kitchen steel or now I have a diamond sharpener. As noted in a post above sharp blades are a must if doing any covering work. A dull blade just tears the film in jagged steps.
I got a Davids plane from H-Store in Caringbah NSW which allows the blade to positioned in two locations, very nice unit.
For cutting carbon items and small steel or brass screws/bolts I use a Dremel with cut off discs. Also a carbide bit is handy for grinding out epoxy, or fuselage openings etc.
I made some sanding boards from L shaped aluminium bathroom corner pieces from Bunnings. Cut two, epoxy them back to back, slot a piece of dowel or broom handle and glue that over the spine for a handle. Filing might be needed to flatten the bottom if it isn't quite right (see there is another tool you need). Just glue on sanding paper with PVA white glue (a soak in water will cause it to release) or just use 3M77 spray on contact glue which is easier to release.
Steel rulers or aluminium off cuts can make good straight edges or guides for cutting (I don't use a stripper). I don't have a mitre box either. I use the saw freehand and sand any errors out.
Otherwise the usual screwdrivers, pliers etc and if you want to get into making up your own wiring harnesses then a whole new world of tools for electrical work opens up.
I find that tools at the LHS are extremely expensive and over time you can pick up equivalents at the hardware store or via mail order.
Cutting your own ribs? That's scratch building. The closest I have come is laser cut ribs.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Last edited by Fred_L; Feb 11, 2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi

Well Hobbyking have range of useful items,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ble_SK-5_blade

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...des_(10pcs/set)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...STRONG___(1mtr)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elerator_8._oz

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elerator_2._oz

I have a few of these ca's in all the types.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7172&Product_Name=HobbyK ing_Super_Glue_CA_(50g_/_1.7oz)_<b>Super_Thin</b>

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Epoxy_4.5_oz

I start holidays tomorrow and intend to get back into my hurricane build.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1030944

Gary
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:23 PM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
At the risk of being the dreaded safety police, think about a dust mask and something to protect your eyes and ears. It's no fun having to stop cause there's dust in your eyes.

Clovus
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 11, 2010, 04:56 PM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo62 View Post
At the risk of being the dreaded safety police, think about a dust mask and something to protect your eyes and ears. It's no fun having to stop cause there's dust in your eyes.

Clovus
ESPECIALY when working with CF, CF dust/splinters are nasty, nasty things and i cant imagine foam dust is much good for you either.
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Quote:
ESPECIALY when working with CF, CF dust/splinters are nasty, nasty things
I'm thinking fibreglass itching powder style but worse?
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Feb 11, 2010, 07:09 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Carbon is worse. F/G is itchy, and then carbon is itchy to the point of pain.

Not to mention the ragged edges cut like buggery...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:18 AM
Nup, I got nothing!.....
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
2,174 Posts
Yeah, I should've mentioned that. I sanded a CF sailboard mast with 180 grit once and got a heap of fine splinters in my hands. I ended up going to work and using a microscope to remove the ones I couldn't wash out. NEVER again.

If it gets in your lungs it's never coming out.
evo62 is offline Find More Posts by evo62
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:28 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
Silicosis is awesome!

NOT!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:59 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Quote:
If it gets in your lungs it's never coming out.
Thats where my thoughts were going, not very pretty
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956