HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:42 PM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Discussion
fp vs. cp

Flying my honey bee really well. Question about a cp. Does a cp have the same controls as a fp? Why is a cp easier to fly than a fp. What sould be my first cp/
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yes, same controls - 4 sticks.

CP might not be easier really... it just depends on who you are. With the CP you have more direct control and faster reaction from the helicopter - some people do not consider this easier. It is like the difference between driving a car and driving a boat. It takes a while to turn a boat, and it doesn't slow down and speed up like a car - this is like the FP.

It is up to you which helicopter you choose, and it's a tricky decision involving budget, access to parts, access to expert help, size of flying area, skill level, and so on. Search any of the "first heli" threads for various opinions on that. Many people go with 400-class helis like the Blade 400, Trex 450, HK450, Mini-Titan, and so on. They provide a good balance of affordability and ease of setup, and they fly pretty good. Avoid the 300 and 200 class such as the Blade CP, and Trex 250 - those are marketed to beginners, but it's a sick joke - they are not for beginners.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Why is CP easier than FP? Headspeed. More control authority. If you can corral a HBFP, you're able to use authority.

The only downside to CP is its mechanical complexity, cost and time when you go wrong.

Go to HBK3, brushless HH update. Or straight to 450, depending on how the price strikes you and whether you want to build it yourself.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I have learned alot lot from you and I'm sure many others have also. You are a great asset to this sit. Cowboy
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:17 PM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Yes, same controls - 4 sticks.
I just wanted to post, that I'm so curious to see how you use those 4 sticks with your 4 thumbs...but I won't post that...no I won't...
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Use the 4 finger pinch grip.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:10 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,932 Posts
I suspect that Jasmine meant 4 axis's on the two sticks, but then I would be assuming this.. also.

I just wanted to chime in with some things I've noticed about the differences between fixed pitch and collective.

A friend of mine was learning heli's a couple of years back and was flying a Hirobo Coaxial, and also a HB FP. Both of these helis had similarities in their flight envelope. The Hirobo was dead easy to fly, almost too stable, and it didn't want to be coaxed into any sort of forward-backwards or side to side travel without out some major stick input. It would also would come to a pretty complete hover when the sticks were released. It was really amazing to see, but once you got over the novelty it made for some pretty boring flights, as they're best trick was hovering. From my AerochopperRC sim remembrances, their collective "models they had were a handful because you are constantly keeping them from drifting.

Someone here posted an analogy about FP helis being the marble that is inside a an upright bowl and that a CP heli is the marble you're trying to keep balanced on the top of an inverted bowl. Maybe not the best analogy, but my experience with my HB CP2 is summing this up, not that it's totally out of my control, but I mostly find myself any where from a half second to nearly 3 seconds behind it's wayward wanderings and gyrations.

any ways my $0.03 worth..

Cheers
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much what I meant.

But you don't "keep the helicopter from drifting" - the goal is to command it to stay where it is, in the case of hovering. If you're reacting to things that have already happened, you're already too late. You have to proactively manage the situation.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 02:16 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
The FP has two flight modes. Inside a bowl, and on top of an inverted one. You grow to recognize which one it's asserting at a given time. The CP mostly stays on top of the inverted bowl.

Two elements to controlling these. The obvious one is what you do with your thumbs. The subtle one is what you do with your eyes, what your perceptual cues are. Perception of where the craft is MOVING is too late until your skillset is already developed. Where the craft is THINKING about moving a second from now can be discerned by its axis and corrected before it becomes an exercise in 'chasing'.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:23 AM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
flying fp

Jasmine and asbilab are both correct. When i first started flying my fp honey bee i was trying to constantly correct movements of the plane. Now i anticipate what the plane is going to do and stay ahead of it to keep it stable. You have to control the plane, not react to what the plane is doing. Sometimes i get a pendulum effect and over react. I'll sit it down and start over. I also find if i get a straight up lift off without the tail going too far either direction i get a better flight.
Last edited by ccowboyearl; Aug 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM.