Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by 600Burger
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Discussion
Places to fly in Davis, CA

Hello!

I'm looking for a place to fly in or near Davis, CA. I'm moving there for school and don't really have a good knowledge of the area. I know theres alot of near by farmland, but I don't want to just go wandering through someones feild uninvited. I currently am flying a slow stick and a small (1.2m) glider, (which I usualy launch discus, jav, or sometimes with a shortend mini hi-start) so I don't need a *ton* of room, just enough to avoid people and trees.

Anyone know the area, or a flyer-friendly-farmer in Davis?
600Burger is offline Find More Posts by 600Burger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by LtDan
Northern CA
Joined Mar 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Burger
Hello!

I'm looking for a place to fly in or near Davis, CA. I'm moving there for school and don't really have a good knowledge of the area. I know theres alot of near by farmland, but I don't want to just go wandering through someones feild uninvited. I currently am flying a slow stick and a small (1.2m) glider, (which I usualy launch discus, jav, or sometimes with a shortend mini hi-start) so I don't need a *ton* of room, just enough to avoid people and trees.

Anyone know the area, or a flyer-friendly-farmer in Davis?
The Davis-Woodland club has a large beautiful field on SR103 about a mile from the town of Woodland. I'm not a member of this club but I have gone to their Open-House and their AMA Scale Competition. They also have one of the largest groups of U-Control flyers I have ever seen, Three flying Rings.
The RC Field has covered shed for pilots and a full paved runway. Oh heck here is their URL http://www.wdarc.org/
LtDan is offline Find More Posts by LtDan
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by 600Burger
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2004
158 Posts
Thanks for the post LtDan.

Although this club is close, and dedicated, i was hoping for more of a "desserted" type area where i could just fly my SS for 10min every time i got the chance. I don't really want to have to talk to anybody (i know that sounds harsh, but flying is kind of a solo ritual for me) or pay extra dues (starving student ).
600Burger is offline Find More Posts by 600Burger
Old Sep 15, 2006, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by Chachi639
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Sep 2004
200 Posts
1. Sacramento Valley Soaring Society (at Yolo Grasslands Park, about 4 miles south of Davis).

2. If you're on or near campus, there are sports fields on Russell or at LaRue and Hutchison that are big enough for a slow stick. I don't know whether UCD might take a dim view of your operations there, I've never tried because I'd be coming from the other side of town with a plane and parking is problematic.

3. Mace Ranch Park - suitable for a slow stick or a skilled DLG pilot (it's where I fly on weekends if soccer hasn't consumed the fields). Park off 5th street at Explorit, or off Loyola Street near the school that's not shown on this outdated aerial photo.

4. Nugget fields at Moore and Pole Line. Often consumed by soccer.

5. Use google maps satellite view and scan around the city limits of Davis to locate open areas. Drive to them and assess them for yourself. "Teach a man to fish, etc."

Welcome to Davis, and happy flying!

Hal
Chachi639 is offline Find More Posts by Chachi639
Last edited by Chachi639; Sep 15, 2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by parrotnet
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
Are either of you flying still in Davis?

Are you flying multi-rotors? I just built a DJI 550 with a Naza v.2 and hope to get it in the air this, or next weekend. Had some challenges programming my transmitter and mapping the switches. I sent an email to the Woodland Davis Aeromodelers but it was bounced back.

Don
parrotnet is offline Find More Posts by parrotnet
Old Nov 13, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team Hitec, Customer Support
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Oct 2007
23,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotnet View Post
Are you flying multi-rotors? I just built a DJI 550 with a Naza v.2 and hope to get it in the air this, or next weekend. Had some challenges programming my transmitter and mapping the switches. I sent an email to the Woodland Davis Aeromodelers but it was bounced back.

Don
Don, the thread is almost 10 years old
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..