New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2015, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by Kryton
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Feb 2013
206 Posts
Yes I need to start shopping online and develop some patients. I buy the e-flite batts from my LHS so I don't have to wait to fly when the urge hits
Kryton is offline Find More Posts by Kryton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2015, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
Micro collector :+)
Joined May 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Yes I need to start shopping online and develop some patients. I buy the e-flite batts from my LHS so I don't have to wait to fly when the urge hits
Why? Are you a Doctor with an online practice?
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Apr 04, 2015, 04:04 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,549 Posts
Kryton,

If you buy Hyperion & TP packs for these planes, you can fly whenever the urge hits. Hyperion packs are rated for 300 cycles at 5c charge - which means that you can charge them in 10-15 minutes & they'll last 6-8 times longer than the E-flites. And they're the same price. The TP 325 70c packs are rated for 600 cycles at 12c charge - which means that you can charge them in 6-8 minutes & they'll last 12-15 times as long as the E-flites.

Therefore, you'll spend far less time waiting to fly and far more time flying if you buy some Hyp or TP UMX packs. Plus, you'll no longer be strangling the performance of your UMX planes by flying them with saggy packs.

There is no downside, here.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Apr 04, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by kenelder
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
1,046 Posts
You aren't kidding- flying my new TP 325 babbel batts and loving every second. I'm not used to hearing the rpms stay up for the whole flight, nice to be able to do large loops near the end of the battery capacity!
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Apr 05, 2015, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by oscarmok
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
488 Posts
I saw an youtube earlier that convert the Gee Bee R2 to Disney plane El Chupacabra. I would like to do a similar setup to impress my daughter but I just couldn't figure out what the material the guy used for the scarf/cape.

Disney Planes El Chupacabra RC Flying Model! (8 min 9 sec)
oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Apr 05, 2015, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,127 Posts
You can use regular fabric, then a shot of clear spray paint will stiffen it up... Ive also heard of soaking it in water with wood glue mixed in.... There is also fabric you can buy that would be stiff enough for a cape without doing anything to it, just check out a craft store...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 05, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by oscarmok
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
488 Posts
Thanks dacaur. Do you think it will cause the CG problem?
oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
Old Apr 05, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,127 Posts
It very possibly could. Weight on the tail has a much greater effect vs weight in the nose... So if you add, say, 5gr of weight on the tail, it might take 10-20 gr in the nose to counter it.... You could probably just move the battery as far forward as it will go, and trust the AS3X to take care of the rest though....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 06, 2015, 12:45 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
......You could probably just move the battery as far forward as it will go, and trust the AS3X to take care of the rest though....
Yup. Especially if you fly with high-performance Hyp VX 400/500 35C or TP 325 70C packs, as they need to be as far aft as you can get them in order to get the CG even close to the neutral point on the stock airframe.

Joel
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by rccraze
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
237 Posts
Joel, I remember reading some where about breaking the good batteries like TP 325 70C. What do you do? Do you go through charge cycle and storage cycle at 1C couple of times before using it and punching it for full power? Thanks.
rccraze is offline Find More Posts by rccraze
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:24 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,549 Posts
I charge my TP 70C packs @ 5C for the first few cycles (they're designed for 12C), take it easy on the throttle, and I shorten the flight-time so that they're around 50-60% discharged. I do the same thing with my Hyp packs - except I charge them at 2C, since they're designed for 5C charging.

From Hyperion's website: We recommend that the first 5 uses are limited to 3C charge rates, and that pilots use throttle management to avoid long periods of max-rate discharge for those first 5 flights.

I haven't found any info from TP regarding recommended break-in, but I use the above procedure just to be on the conservative side.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 06, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by rccraze
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Jul 2012
237 Posts
Thanks Joel. What if I cycle them through Charging and Storage Voltage cycles? I would think it should be a good break-in process, right?
rccraze is offline Find More Posts by rccraze
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:51 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
13,549 Posts
Cycling them on your charger will certainly work, but it's definitely serious overkill with modern LiPos. It won't make them perform any better or last any longer than following Hyperion's recommendation.

Joel