Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Many thanks to all of you for the help. The videos are excellent instructional aids. It looks like in all the different launch techniques there is a smooth blend of throttle increase and the launch simultaneously AND the wing is maintained in a fairly straight position AND it is sort of flying away instead of being tossed away. I think I am focusing too much on the toss instead of having the wing basically fly away with normal flight speed and in a normal flying attitude. I think I am now much better armed to make some successful launches. Too windy today but lookout tomorrow !
Thanks again guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I think I finally got it. As per one of the videos I held it out to my side angled down, cranked the power til it was ready to fly and just followed it up without any toss. More of guiding it into flight with emphasis to the right and up. It went up, leveled out and started to go left. I had time to steer it back to level flight and away she went. THREE LAUNCHES >>> 3 FLIGHTS. Huge relief ! Great plane to take on trips. It's going to do some beach and dune flying in June. Thanks again.
You're welcome crobar, good to know the videos were of some help. I'm glad you got the technique down pat now. You're right, it's more of a 'guiding the wing into flight' rather than 'tossing it into flight'. However I'm still not used with the sidearm launch technique that you're describing, I still prefer kinda throwing it overhead. Whatever works for each of us, I guess.

Here's wishing you many successful and happy launches ahead!
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2015, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by Jmel
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Joined Jul 2014
310 Posts
PongWing Launcher Takeoff from the side:

PongWing Takeoff (0 min 17 sec)

Briefly today I have thought about changing motor/prop to a 2212-1400kv and a 10x6 prop. Although it would give 30% or so more battery life, and slow down top speed by 20mph or so, thrust would stay the same as what I'm using now - 2212-2200kv and 7x4 prop.

I can't say I see the benefit, as it seems more helpful to have the speed on tap and fly at half throttle... Anyone have any thoughts on this from experience between the two?
Jmel is online now Find More Posts by Jmel
Old Apr 05, 2015, 03:56 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Jmel: Have you used the P1 gyro on any of your wings?
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by crave
KnowWhatIMean
Joined Jul 2013
1,221 Posts
Put my prop on right swear I did, took my glasses off and well, prop was on backwards, toned down the controls D/R Expo, and before the winds picked up, I cracked the Easter eggs buzzing by. lol.. Happy Easter all.
crave is online now Find More Posts by crave
Old Apr 05, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Jmel
Joined Jul 2014
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Jmel: Have you used the P1 gyro on any of your wings?
Yes (it is in the wing right now, and is usually on all the time, including in my videos), that is the gyro I use in all of my planes as well, with the exception of a lemon stabilizer that I tried out (and won't be buying more of).

The lemon is a better device by far, but it has 1 antenna, no counterpoise, and they chose the gear channel for on/off versus flaps like spektrum uses. No thanks.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Demo7
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Oct 2013
1,166 Posts
Did this last night for our camping trip

Night flying here I come,?,?
Demo7 is online now Find More Posts by Demo7
Old Apr 05, 2015, 12:47 PM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel View Post
Yes (it is in the wing right now, and is usually on all the time, including in my videos), that is the gyro I use in all of my planes as well, with the exception of a lemon stabilizer that I tried out (and won't be buying more of).

The lemon is a better device by far, but it has 1 antenna, no counterpoise, and they chose the gear channel for on/off versus flaps like spektrum uses. No thanks.
Thanks for the reply, Jmel. Nice! Do you have a video of your Pop/Pongwing with and without the gyro switched on?

Is there an online resource/guide for setting up the P1? I just bought one. It won't be here for a few days but it'll be good to read up on it in the meantime.

Of course, if you have any tips for the P1 I'd be really glad to hear them as well

As for the Lemon stabilizer, is that the one with the rx built in? And why do you say that it is a better device than the P1?
Old Apr 05, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Jmel
Joined Jul 2014
310 Posts
I don't have a video of before and after I'm afraid. I think the best bet is to only put it on a plane where you indeed have a spare channel so that you can turn it on and off.

Setting up is very easy per the instruction manual. It is very similar to every other cheap gyro out there. My tips would be don't go past 2 o clock on the gains. You can actually keep it around 12 o clock with good results.

Yes, the lemon stab with the rx built in. It has more features if you have a greater than 6 channel radio - you can adjust gain on the fly. However, I am not happy that they force you to use a nonstandard channel (gear) for turning on and off the stabilizer.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by debogus
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
351 Posts
Thought thats what most used... besides what other use would you have for the gear switch on a wing ? I just assign to it a 3 pos or slider ,where its most comfortable.... On my 9c ...You cant ?
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Jmel
Joined Jul 2014
310 Posts
OrangeRX uses the flaps switch - rather, channel 6. That's what I'm used to. I use a spektrum dx6i... so my wing (at the time) was the only plane that used gear switch for gyro, while all the others used channel 6. So now I buy the lemonrx receivers/satellites, but I stick to thunder p1 gyros. Now it doesn't matter so much anyway because the wing I fly has a cyclops OSD with it's own gyro.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by debogus
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
351 Posts
Storm ?
Me too , But Im running a orange LRS with cppm enabled ....less wires is a good thing...
Oh I get it the dx6 wouldnt have all of the extra bs available .... Why I put modules for LRS and Frsky in my antque futaba 9c.....2 sliders 3 rotatory knobs and I think 3 , 3 pos switches....
Besides at the time there was no cheap recievers for spectrum...and I refused to buy into their BS of such over priced receivers.
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Apr 06, 2015, 11:25 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a video of before and after I'm afraid. I think the best bet is to only put it on a plane where you indeed have a spare channel so that you can turn it on and off.

Setting up is very easy per the instruction manual. It is very similar to every other cheap gyro out there. My tips would be don't go past 2 o clock on the gains. You can actually keep it around 12 o clock with good results.

Yes, the lemon stab with the rx built in. It has more features if you have a greater than 6 channel radio - you can adjust gain on the fly. However, I am not happy that they force you to use a nonstandard channel (gear) for turning on and off the stabilizer.
Ok, noted. Thanks Jmel. I'm planning to use the P1 with a 4 channel Frsky rx on my Teksumo. So there will be 1 extra channel for the gyro on/off switch...would that be ok or do I need a 6 channel rx to use with the P1?
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Jmel
Joined Jul 2014
310 Posts
I would recommend a 5 or 6 channel... the 4th channel in your case would be rudder... Unless you can reassign the rudder channel to a switch, you'll need a TX that allows you to map it to a switch.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by crave
KnowWhatIMean
Joined Jul 2013
1,221 Posts
Mini-popwing:

Now I see a Smaller motor, and Esc, as well the push rod, made for a micro or UMX model. may need to dig out the original motor and esc? Just wish I knew which ones they were. 2208? 5x3 prop, 18amp esc 500mah bat?
crave is online now Find More Posts by crave
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:46 AM
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
402 Posts
Quote:
I would recommend a 5 or 6 channel... the 4th channel in your case would be rudder... Unless you can reassign the rudder channel to a switch, you'll need a TX that allows you to map it to a switch.
Thanks Jmel. I'm using a Taranis, so although I haven't tried it, I do think the rudder channel can be mapped to a switch.

Man...this is all so new to me...gyros...