Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by en_spt
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
278 Posts
Discussion
KV Models HpH304 Shark

I have been flying gliders for many years now, but have always felt big scale sailplanes a little out of reach, until I was recently asked to test fly a 1/3rd scale Fox. I enjoyed that flight so much, and it flew in such a scale like way, that I fear I have been bitten by the bug...

So I have been looking around at what I should get, for both slope and aerotowing. Initial thoughts were a Fox, as I would like something scale, but tough and aerobatic. Then I looked at what some of the Europeans are doing with GPS triangle competitions, and the combination of scale gliders, speed and performance looked very attractive and in line with my preferred style of flying. I came across the 304 Shark, and I fell in love.

KV models do a very good looking (and expensive) model of the Shark, at 6m span. Searching on here did not turn up much on the 304, so I would welcome and feedback on either KV models (quality/flight characteristics etc.) or the KV 6m Shark.

Link to KV Models Shark: http://scaleplanes.vagenknecht.cz/in...tDetail&pid=35

Simon
en_spt is online now Find More Posts by en_spt
Last edited by en_spt; Aug 04, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by talonxracer
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
That is a sweet ship! The elliptical wing just sets it apart and is very noticeable when trying to pick the Shark out from the ground, that should be a big bonus with a R/C sailplane(not that anyone could miss the size of this 6m ship)

I have drooled over a few full size Shark's when I was out looking for a used sailplane, and even the drooling was more than I could afford! LOL
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,911 Posts
Simon, there was one on display at the JR Aerotow in the U.S.A. in June, fantastic lines and curves, very pleasing aesthetics, from what I saw the fit and finish was supreme, very nice cockpit, it did not have servos in it so we did not see it fly, but as with all KV models I am sure it has superb performance. If I didn't already have several 6 meter glass ships, the Shark would most certainly be at the top of my list, it looks to be a true winner! Oh and as I recall, it has a 4 piece wing which makes it quite a nice size to carry in your car, I envy anyone who can get one. Regards, Dennis
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,586 Posts
Simon,
I second the comments made by Dennis. The Shark has always been of interest to me. KV models are superb flying planes. I have the Discus and its a true pleasure to fly.

Let us know if you get one.. Its worth the money.

len
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Aug 05, 2010, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by rshelby
Team Horizon
United States, CA, Montague
Joined Jan 2004
218 Posts
Here's a couple more pictures of the Shark from Icare at the JR Aero Tow. Truly a beautiful, high quality plane.

Rick
rshelby is offline Find More Posts by rshelby
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:31 PM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
278 Posts
Thanks for the encouraging feedback guys. Sounds like it might be a good un! A further question is how strong is this model? I want a model that will go fast without flutter or wing issues. Talking to the local dealer he says his KV Duo Discus is strong, but he only flies it in a scale like way. I want to fly a bit of each - a lot of scale type flying, but the occasional runway beat up, and some 'scale' type open aerobatics.

Simon
Old Aug 05, 2010, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,586 Posts
Not a concern, my KV discus is put through the paces on a regular basis.
Lbuff1 is online now Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:32 AM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
278 Posts
Thanks Len

Simon
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by inescajv
Jesus
Venezuela
Joined Oct 2009
33 Posts
Hi , I have the KV Hph 304 is and great sailplane. Fly’s like a dream , very good quality .
I fly in a slope and have put the glider to really fast runaways and is strong enough . Also check de Baudis Salto 4mts for aerobatics is great .
For 6 Mts KV, LET and Paritech in Germany are the best.
inescajv is offline Find More Posts by inescajv
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by JimJams
James
Australia, NSW, North Narrabeen
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Hi Simon,

I have the Hph 304cz and love it. I have owned models from LET, HF, H Model and Baudis and the KV quality far outweighs them all. You will not be disappointed.

I have had my eye on the Shark since I saw the first pictures a few years back, but I simply do not have the money to buy something that big that I would not get the time to enjoy. I wish I was in your position. )
JimJams is offline Find More Posts by JimJams
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by paulek
Poland
Joined Jan 2008
9 Posts
Shark from my friend Lukas. GPS-EUROCUP Krnov 2010
paulek is offline Find More Posts by paulek
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:47 AM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
278 Posts
Hi Paulek. What speeds are the Sharks getting upto in the GPS competitions & what is the top speed they are capable of? (I see some models are doing around 300kph). And are they a competitive/winning model?

Simon
Last edited by en_spt; Aug 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,928 Posts
The 5.2 meter LET DG1000 used to be my dream ship, but I think it's been officially replaced by the Shark. This model more suites my love for speed and energy managment aerobatics! It would have to have self launching capabilities. So with an AFT SLS system in it(and all the other goodies), that would push the price past the $8000.00 mark!

One can always dream!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,911 Posts
Randy, as nice as the Shark was, the 40% ASH-31 next to it in the pictures was even better, and just about $1200 more, there really was no comparison, that's why I bought the 31 and am about halfway through the build right now. I will be posting pictures soon in a build thread, it really is the dream machine, and if they produce the 8.4 meter tips then I will quite happy. (7.2 meters is pretty good though) The best thing is it fits in most minivans no problem, thanks to Kevin Kavaney for allowing me to use his Odyssey to check the fit of the model!
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,928 Posts
Nice, Dennis! I'll be watching with great interest!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius