Old Mar 09, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by flyeraroo
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hump101 View Post
The horizontal one is an RX2419-D, and it has three circuit boards inside it.

The vertical one is an RX2419 and has only one circuit board inside.

The heli with the RX2419-D flies with much more stability than the other one. The RX2419 is not unstable per se, but you can't just let go of the sticks and watch it sit, as you can with the RX2419-D.
This could be that the setup on the helicopter with the 2419 rx may be off slightly.
I set my 400's up differently when flying indoors and outdoors. Indoors when flying there is no wind factor, so the helicopter can be setup to hover in one spot. When flying outdoors I set the helicopter up with a little forward drift. I don't adjust the servo pushrods for forward drift, but rather I change the center of gravity of the helicopter. This can be accomplished by adding more weight to the nose or by lessening the tail weight. In changing the center of gravity, so the helicopter drifts forward aids in forward flight when flying against a light wind. A coaxial will want to act like a kite when flying against the wind in that it will climb in altitude more than move forward. By having the helicopter a little nose heavy will keep the nose down more in forward flight, so air can't get under it and lift so easily. Thus the helicopter moves forward better, and has less climb.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Hump101
Joined Feb 2015
9 Posts
This may be the case with the RX2419 heli, as when we first tried to fly it we had almost full reverse cyclic to stay still. I put an extra turn on each of the servo arms, which made it steady with sticks off, but it still has a tendency to drift around compared to the RX2419-D heli, which hovers like a quad copter, just sits there.

The problem with lift in wind was what caught us out the first time outside. I'm not sure I have much confidence in its ability to cope with much wind, even if set up nose heavy. We have some big barns to fly in, so we will stick with inside unless it is really calm (rare here in Brittany).
Hump101 is offline Find More Posts by Hump101
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by flyeraroo
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,524 Posts
Yeah, big barns or warehouse is the way to go. I flew 3 battery packs through my 400 outdoors this evening, and there wasn't much wind current, but enough to affect the helicopter. I added 3 quarters (coins) to the nose, and it was still bucking the wind current. For the summer I will take some of the tail weight out from the boom, and set it up proper. Tonight was a quick fix, so I could keep flying before it got too dark.
I also got in a flight with the champ, which is always a good time!
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo