Sep 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've had my Bixler v.1 for a couple of weeks now just sitting in the box. I had bought the PNP Kit from HK USA warehouse and ran into the problem with short motor wires barely extending from the top of the fuse into the rear canopy area. Rather than make extensions I just cut out the area behind the cockpit to make access.

Got her in the air this morning with a Turnigy 3S 2200 20-30C and she flew like a dream.

This evening I tried out a Nano-Tech 3S 1300 25-50C and is was porpoising like crazy.

The 2200 battery weighs 6.7oz (190g) and the 1300 battery only weighs 4.0 oz (110g). I guess I need to find a way to add a few ounces to the front of the plane when flying the 1300 batteries. Any recommendations?

I also wound up with a broken control horn on the rudder. I had read about the weak hardware but figured I'd try out the plane stock... bad idea. I should have upgraded the horns beforehand. Now I have to figure out how to get the Gorilla Glue to release the stock horns so I can upgrade them.

I have 2 meters of LED strips I can't wait to get on this plane. It'll be great to be able to fly a little after dusk.

I think I'll add some colored packing tape as well. The white wing bottoms make for a little confusion when there's some distance between me and the plane.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2012, 09:15 PM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal
So I maidened my Sky Surfer this weekend. Managed to smash it into pieces yesterday, taped and glued it back together and took it out for another spin today. Today's flight was a lot better...a lot fewer crashes.

However, my plane tends to bank to the right by itself. I checked and all the control surfaces are even when the power is on and everything is trimmed neutral. Once in the air though, i had to trim the ailerons heavily to one side to compensate for the natural banking. Any ideas what's going on? I'm still reading through this massive thread, so apologies if this is a commonly addressed problem.
This roll behavior is something that i had to deal with on my AXN. The AXN is similar to the SS or Bixler. The cause as far as I can determine is a combination of 2 things, motor/prop torque and the prop wash hitting the tail surfaces on one side more than on the other. The motor is pointing right at the tail so this made sense to me.

My solution was to program a throttle to rudder mix that moves the rudder slightly to the left in proportion to the throttle setting.
Sep 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
BGR
BGR
Foam Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston
I've had my Bixler v.1 for a couple of weeks now just sitting in the box. I had bought the PNP Kit from HK USA warehouse and ran into the problem with short motor wires barely extending from the top of the fuse into the rear canopy area. Rather than make extensions I just cut out the area behind the cockpit to make access.

Got her in the air this morning with a Turnigy 3S 2200 20-30C and she flew like a dream.

This evening I tried out a Nano-Tech 3S 1300 25-50C and is was porpoising like crazy.

The 2200 battery weighs 6.7oz (190g) and the 1300 battery only weighs 4.0 oz (110g). I guess I need to find a way to add a few ounces to the front of the plane when flying the 1300 batteries. Any recommendations?

I also wound up with a broken control horn on the rudder. I had read about the weak hardware but figured I'd try out the plane stock... bad idea. I should have upgraded the horns beforehand. Now I have to figure out how to get the Gorilla Glue to release the stock horns so I can upgrade them.

I have 2 meters of LED strips I can't wait to get on this plane. It'll be great to be able to fly a little after dusk.

I think I'll add some colored packing tape as well. The white wing bottoms make for a little confusion when there's some distance between me and the plane.
2.7 ounces of bird shot in a little bag. Seal well, you don't want that bird shot rolling around inside the fuse.
Sep 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7
Hey i will be receiving a SS from a friend soon (its V2 or above from my understanding) and i have been looking through the mod page. I can handle pretty much all of them, i am just confused on fuse reinforcement for the V2 or above. I want to make a small FPV backpack to go on it sometime, so i assume i want to do some sort of reinforcement, but i would also like to keep it light so i can do a little sloping if i get the chance. I have experience flying so thats not a problem. Just looking for input Also, any other mods that are recommended other than the wing spar/fuse reinforcement and something to hold the wings together?

Thanks,
-Seth
Anyone?
Sep 24, 2012, 01:52 AM
How well does the RCtimer 2212-6 2200kv work for the Bixler? I originally purchased one as an upgrade to my Axn, but I might purchase a Bixler kit for FPV. Does the 2212-6 provide enough thrust, or are there better alternatives?
Sep 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirston
the 1300 battery only weighs 4.0 oz (110g). I guess I need to find a way to add a few ounces to the front of the plane when flying the 1300 batteries. Any recommendations?

You took the washers out? Glue them together and add a bit of Velcro to them and the top of the battery. Add them when needed.

Quote:
I peeled the rudder one off (easy) to fit on to the aileron when I lost the aileron one. I made a replacement horn for the rudder.

Quote:
I've painted the under wing tips orange and "Invasion Stripes" (as on WWII allied aircraft) on top of the wings. Makes spacial identification much easier.
Sep 25, 2012, 03:30 AM
hi.i am totally noob on this hobby.i have ordered D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor and TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller from hk.now i need a lipo.can you please tell me is this lipo suitable for my bixler and what is the best lipo i can use on this system?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._3S1P_40C.html
Sep 25, 2012, 10:23 AM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by elskan
hi.i am totally noob on this hobby.i have ordered D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor and TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller from hk.now i need a lipo.can you please tell me is this lipo suitable for my bixler and what is the best lipo i can use on this system?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._3S1P_40C.html
Good choice. I sometimes use an 1800mah 3S1P 25C for my planes. Either one will work fine. Even a 2000mah 3S1P would be just as good.
AJ
P.S. I normally use a 1300mah 3S1P with a gyro. But, I would not recommend that until you get a lot of flying experience.
Sep 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Good choice. I sometimes use an 1800mah 3S1P 25C for my planes. Either one will work fine. Even a 2000mah 3S1P would be just as good.
AJ
P.S. I normally use a 1300mah 3S1P with a gyro. But, I would not recommend that until you get a lot of flying experience.
I have this same motor setting on my desk and am trying to figure out how to install it in my new Bix 2. Any ideas and if this has been covered forgive me.

DJ
Sep 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
AJ
Thank you so much i av just ordered lipo.i hope i can make my bixler flyable asap
Sep 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7
any other mods that are recommended other than the wing spar/fuse reinforcement and something to hold the wings together?

Thanks,
-Seth
Seth, did you mean you DON'T need mods for holding the wings together? If so, my apologies - please ignore this post!

--------------------------------------

For my SkySurfer and Easystar, I used a light weight spring from Home Depot.

Basically, there's a spring sticking out under each wing, that hooks on a hook glued to a plywood square on the bottom of the wing.

The advantage (aside from lighter weight) is that, if I hook a wingtip on something while landing (or crashing), the wing will flex back in its socket, I hope, instead of breaking off or tearing up something inside the fuselage.

I did this on my older SkySurfer and Easystar planes. Have had several hairy encounters with rigid objects, but no broken wings, except when I dove the Easystar straight into the ground from 75 feet up, oops. Even springs have their limits.

For details, see:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post18638270
and
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post20659067
Sep 25, 2012, 09:39 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Seth, did you mean you DON'T need mods for holding the wings together? If so, my apologies - please ignore this post!

--------------------------------------

For my SkySurfer and Easystar, I used a light weight spring from Home Depot.

Basically, there's a spring sticking out under each wing, that hooks on a hook glued to a plywood square on the bottom of the wing.

The advantage (aside from lighter weight) is that, if I hook a wingtip on something while landing (or crashing), the wing will flex back in its socket, I hope, instead of breaking off or tearing up something inside the fuselage.

I did this on my older SkySurfer and Easystar planes. Have had several hairy encounters with rigid objects, but no broken wings, except when I dove the Easystar straight into the ground from 75 feet up, oops. Even springs have their limits.

For details, see:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post18638270
and
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post20659067
Yes i meant i dont need mods for the wings as i have what i'm going to do figured out pretty much

but thank you for the reply, i do like what you have done!
Sep 26, 2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor
I have this same motor setting on my desk and am trying to figure out how to install it in my new Bix 2. Any ideas and if this has been covered forgive me.

DJ
Hi DJ

I installed this motor and put up a couple of photos on the bixler 2 thread. Basically you remove motor mount reverse it and reinstall. Would link it but on the phone. Will send a link when I get home if you haven't found it.

Cheers
Gim
Sep 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP

Some thoughts on the Bix2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor

DJ
Darn it. I pretty much have to give you the same non-answer that I gave you once before (I think). Since I don't own a Bix2, any information that I gave you would be just an experiencial guess based on the Sky Surfers that I own. If you are referring to the D2826-6 2200Kv from HK (I own 2 of them), I know it works great on a Bix1 or SkyS v1-v4. FWIW, since I started this thread, I feel obligated to buy a couple (2 is better) so I can answer some questions from you and others. Right now, I just ordered one (about 15 minutes ago). So, if someone else has some experience to share, it would be appreciated. For you and the rest of us that are interested. Meanwhile, if you are patient, I will share the information on any/all motors that I use in that plane. If not, I am sure you have read the same basic opinion that most of the owners have -> It is underpowered with the current motor. I am sure that the advertised weight probably does not include the weight of the lipo or other stuff. Maybe some kind soul will post the "real" AUW of their Bix2 plane. I hope all these bits of info are somehow useful to you.
AJ
Sep 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer
Hi DJ

I installed this motor and put up a couple of photos on the bixler 2 thread. Basically you remove motor mount reverse it and reinstall. Would link it but on the phone. Will send a link when I get home if you haven't found it.

Cheers
Gim
Here is the link:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=132

I used a hair dryer to soften the glue and slowly prised plastic mount back and forth. Mine came out nice and easy but some others seem to be glued in well. The 2826/6 2200kv with a 7x4 turned Bix 2 into a rocket. I wasn't happy with the BIx 2 (ordered another Bix 1) The Bix 2 will be gifted to my father as his first RC plane.

Quick Reply