HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:24 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
295 Posts
Discussion
DIY cat or tri

I am thinking about building a 1m or 1.5 m cat or tri just for fun, possibly using my IOM 1 (A) rig. One though was to use built in vacuum pipe for the hulls. It is thin walled and fairly light. My thought was to use heat gun to close off the bow then use the pipe glue to join it together. Then use heat again to give a bit of rocker.

I have built 7 RC boats out of fibre glass, balsa and so I know I can build. The question is more around if anyone else has tried using PVC pipe to build a RC boat and if so any tip?

Andrew
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 02:59 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,355 Posts
Some of the UK guys transformed their 1 meter monohulls into trimarans and used the closed cellular foam but performance results were pretty poor. If you do a search, you can find free plans on the net. My design ("IMPULSE") was to allow building a tri - or a cat. Use two of the main hulls for a cat configuration, or use the main hull and two floats for a tri. Since the original prototype build, some have suggested a bit more buoyancy in the floats if building as a tri.

Dick
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.