HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:22 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Thanks Jim.

I just transplanted a V202 board into a Mini Pet frame. I hit the ceiling taking off. I forgot how much larger the Mini Pet props are. I'll bring the V202-MiniPet hybrid on our outing tommorrow Bill.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2008
82 Posts
Hey MO (why do I say that in my head with a voice like Curly???),

Any ETA yet on those batteries? I'm looking to order this coming Wed. and hoping the newer batts will be in by then.

Also could anyone give me a quick rundown of the startup procedure?

Really looking forward to this, it will be my first flying RC since my old Walkera 5G6-1 died!
Urufu_Shinjiro is offline Find More Posts by Urufu_Shinjiro
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:40 PM
Sir Crashalot
stonecutter's Avatar
Joined Oct 2011
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Thanks Jim.

I just transplanted a V202 board into a Mini Pet frame. I hit the ceiling taking off. I forgot how much larger the Mini Pet props are. I'll bring the V202-MiniPet hybrid on our outing tommorrow Bill.
MO, you beat me to it, I was thinking of doing the same transplant on my spare MP. Did you soldered motor wires to the v202 board or soldered female plugs to the board and kept the male plugs on the motors?

Edit: never mind, I took the canopy off the v202 and realized it already has female plugs, so transplant should be solder free and reversible. I must have been thinking of the x4 board instead, now that would be an interesting tranplant as well.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:44 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Hey Urufu,

Once I get a shipping confirmation on the additional lipos, I'll release existing stock for sale as spares. I should know by Wednesday though.

Basically insert the battery into the quad, place on a level surface, turn Transmitter on and throttle up and then down and then she's ready for take off.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:56 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
MO, you beat me to it, I was thinking of doing the same transplant on my spare MP. Did you soldered motor wires to the v202 board or soldered female plugs to the board and kept the male plugs on the motors?

Edit: never mind, I took the canopy off the v202 and realized it already has female plugs, so transplant should be solder free and reversible. I must have been thinking of the x4 board instead, now that would be an interesting tranplant as well.
I just transplanted the V202 plugs over to the MP wires. I still need to figure out the LEDs (Yeah I know I have a 50\50 chance )



Not enough flight time, but the props are more balanced and if you can believe it, make it smoother still. I'll make some more Capri Sun prop guards to put the Mini Pet blades on the V202 stock chasis.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:40 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
get this

Ijust mechanicaly trimmed my v202. I hate showing trim on the screen when you didn't even take off yet mine was 10 to the rear and 6 to the right..
what i id was cut a tiny wedge of styrofoam . loosen the 4 screws on the board the front just one turn the rear out about 6 turns. carefully insert the wedge from the rearand left lifting the board about 3/32 of ann inch. then test fly untill the baby flies like a rock solid hands off hover.(adjust the wedge as needed. land then tighten the screws.lightly.
when you are convinced that you're just right replace the foam with some tinywashers . like maybe gromets or similar.
tonytester
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:52 PM
Noob
United States, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Jan 2012
59 Posts
I just noticed that one of my rear props was slightly bent so I swapped it out and now I can center the trim and it flies fine.... So maybe that may help some of you guys to see if your props may be slightly bent. May or may not help just throwing that out there.....

On another note I am going crazy over here because I lost one of my batteries and for the life of me cannot find it!!!! MO helllppp
Irock1985 is offline Find More Posts by Irock1985
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Well I just got my V202 and did some testing. Here's my observations so far:

Pros:
1. That upside down toss thing is amazing. It's like CGI right before your eyes.
2. I did some quick funnels in my front yard and that was cool. I was barefoot so I didn't try this too long (my feet were freezing).
3. The orange and green prop combo is the best by far. Very visible. Looks great.
4. 100% flip mode is pretty incredible. I was inside and had the quad about 2' or so off the ground and executed one perfectly by accident. Outside you can really do a series of them.
5. I like the lights, extended feet, and longer booms. I even like the way the light shines through the scorpion canopy at the top, and the graphics. For some reason this makes me think of a vending machine or old arcade game cabinet.
6. Packaging was perfect. No complaints.
7. It's nice that the LEDs can be turned off via the tx. Might be good for some aerial morse code and stealth mode.

Cons:
1. Definetly takes fine tuning on the trim and hands-on for drift/hover control.
2. Takes careful/ample throttle control to launch off the ground because of the ground effect. More so than the MP. My U816 has no problem taking off (just hitting the ceiling).


Has anyone tried putting the shorter V202 props on the MP? Just curious how it would react with them on.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:07 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
Ijust mechanicaly trimmed my v202. I hate showing trim on the screen when you didn't even take off yet mine was 10 to the rear and 6 to the right..
what i id was cut a tiny wedge of styrofoam . loosen the 4 screws on the board the front just one turn the rear out about 6 turns. carefully insert the wedge from the rearand left lifting the board about 3/32 of ann inch. then test fly untill the baby flies like a rock solid hands off hover.(adjust the wedge as needed. land then tighten the screws.lightly.
when you are convinced that you're just right replace the foam with some tinywashers . like maybe gromets or similar.
tonytester
Thanks Tony,

I thought maybe even throwing a dab of hot glue on the screw area underneath the board once you have it level. It's really important to check your leveling surface as well if you really want zero trim. You're still going to get the occasional veering off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985 View Post
I just noticed that one of my rear props was slightly bent so I swapped it out and now I can center the trim and it flies fine.... So maybe that may help some of you guys to see if your props may be slightly bent. May or may not help just throwing that out there.....

On another note I am going crazy over here because I lost one of my batteries and for the life of me cannot find it!!!! MO helllppp
Most props can be tweaked so that both blades fly in the same plane. You can easily tell which props are severely unbalanced by holding the quad in your hand with ligh throttle and feel each of the stand-offs.

I wish WL Toys props were a little better quality as far as balance, but they do have great abrasion resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Well I just got my V202 and did some testing. Here's my observations so far:

Pros:
1. That upside down toss thing is amazing. It's like CGI right before your eyes.
2. I did some quick funnels in my front yard and that was cool. I was barefoot so I didn't try this too long (my feet were freezing).
3. The orange and green prop combo is the best by far. Very visible. Looks great.
4. 100% flip mode is pretty incredible. I was inside and had the quad about 2' or so off the ground and executed one perfectly by accident. Outside you can really do a series of them.
5. I like the lights, extended feet, and longer booms. I even like the way the light shines through the scorpion canopy at the top, and the graphics. For some reason this makes me think of a vending machine or old arcade game cabinet.
6. Packaging was perfect. No complaints.
7. It's nice that the LEDs can be turned off via the tx. Might be good for some aerial morse code and stealth mode.

Cons:
1. Definetly takes fine tuning on the trim and hands-on for drift/hover control.
2. Takes careful/ample throttle control to launch off the ground because of the ground effect. More so than the MP. My U816 has no problem taking off (just hitting the ceiling).


Has anyone tried putting the shorter V202 props on the MP? Just curious how it would react with them on.
Hey Variant, I've transplanted the V202 board into the MP and the larger props give it a tremendous throttle boost. I don't think the V202 props will fit the MP without removing the built-in motor mount prop guard. I also think the MP would fly worse as the MP blades are better balanced.

Thanks for your review....so how does the V202 rank in your fleet?
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:09 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
BD Murdock's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
I did some quick funnels in my front yard and that was cool.
Can somebody please get a video of this I'm dyin to see it action and have no idea how to do it. I'm bettin I need to be outside though...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,702 Posts
Hi T,
Yep. I tried that too back here but the fcb was at a ridiculous angle propped up about 2mm on the back edge. Even at that I could only get about half the trim out. The OEM trim I required was about the same as yours too.

How high did you have to raise yours to eliminate the trim? Are you noticing any strange yaw or glitch, or lack of angle authority in forward or back pitch behavior with yours set up that way?

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytester View Post
Ijust mechanicaly trimmed my v202. I hate showing trim on the screen when you didn't even take off yet mine was 10 to the rear and 6 to the right..
what i id was cut a tiny wedge of styrofoam . loosen the 4 screws on the board the front just one turn the rear out about 6 turns. carefully insert the wedge from the rearand left lifting the board about 3/32 of ann inch. then test fly untill the baby flies like a rock solid hands off hover.(adjust the wedge as needed. land then tighten the screws.lightly.
when you are convinced that you're just right replace the foam with some tinywashers . like maybe gromets or similar.
tonytester
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:19 PM
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Can somebody please get a video of this I'm dyin to see it action and have no idea how to do it. I'm bettin I need to be outside though...
Bill and I will try and get one tommorrow. It's actually pretty easy, just throw all sticks to maximum deflection (full throttle, full pitch forwards or backwards, and full yaw left or right). If you want a nose-down funnel, pitch forwards. If you want a nose-up funnel, pitch backwards.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
MO:

I'm going to have to give it a few more days to say.  My V949 is still the easiest thing in the world to fly (like a Cadillac), and I've made some good progress modding it just the way I want.  However, I'm having trouble keeping it trimmed off the front right motor in the last few days, and that's bothersome. The mini's are a bit of a pain to diagnose because of more parts.  I've already junked my V929 to fix my V949. Quad cannibalism.

Of the micros I've flown, the MP is by far the easiest to fly, especially inside.  It's just a nice conservative sedan. The only real improvement it needs is just a faster expert mode that doesn't auto flip. 

My U816 is basically a little hotrod that needs careful handling.  It also requires a big field to play in.  Something tells me that it's a close cousin to the H36. 

And the V202 I would characterize as an acrobat, or stunt car.  The sticks on the tx are kind of stiff, so it feels like it takes a lot of concentration to fly.  I'm having trouble mastering its yaw inside. It feels like it wants to drift out of control when I try turning.  I really need to spend a day outside with it, which is where it belongs anyhow.  I've basiclly been flying it nose out while inside.  The flipping function is amazing.  It's the only quad that I feel confident enough to do that inside.  As long as the battery is charged well and the quad is in a slight ascent, it can pull off incredibly tight flips.  A little like the automated quads in those Flying Machine Arena videos. 
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:52 PM
Yo R Wee Too Lo
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2011
895 Posts
jesolins

the back of my rx is about 3/32, I am not an expert flyer, but I didn't notice any problems. now after about 4 minutes flying it is not as stable as full charge as usual.

when i set the quad level i tilted the board by eye about the same amount that the unit was tilting when it was moving forward. it worked for me . I'll keep you posted , I'm going to attempt to trim my 816.

tonytester.
tonytester is offline Find More Posts by tonytester
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:11 PM
Registered User
JWinNewPhila's Avatar
United States, OH, New Philadelphia
Joined Jul 2012
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post

Not enough flight time, but the props are more balanced and if you can believe it, make it smoother still. I'll make some more Capri Sun prop guards to put the Mini Pet blades on the V202 stock chasis.
I put some MP props on the V202 yesterday..... add a nano-tech and this is now my favorite Mini!

It hands off hovers and is butter smooth! Can't wait for the weather to warm up a little so I can take this beast outside!
JWinNewPhila is offline Find More Posts by JWinNewPhila
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion WL Toys V959/V202/ SH 6047 Scorpion dankar04 Mini Multirotors 9 Mar 13, 2013 12:13 PM
Discussion Micro Quad V202 RTF for 26.68$ ratonxi Hot Online Deals 57 Jan 24, 2013 12:23 PM
Discussion WL Toys V202 "50% off" ??? stifa Mini Multirotors 3 Dec 08, 2012 10:50 AM
Discussion V202, which canopy do you prefer? MassiveOverkill Mini Multirotors 16 Dec 07, 2012 02:29 PM
Discussion Soodohobby 2.4G Mini 6 aixs Gyro Scorpion Quadcopter WL V202 Quadcopter MQ80 Multirotor Talk 0 Nov 26, 2012 11:01 PM