Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:14 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Discussion
Foamy elevator problem

Hi All

It has happened again! No recovery from a steep dive.
I have had this happen once in an EZ* and 3 times now in EZ glider Pro
This time I wanted to see how she would stabilise fro a nose down attitude so I let go of the sticks, but the dive steepened quickly, I applied full up, but no result.
She went in vertical

After the crash I found the ESC & motor to be very hot which was probably due to a full throttle climb. Even though the ESC may have failed control should have been OK because it has a separate Rx battery, although I did try throttle just before she hit and I am not sure, but I don't think there was a response. All 4 servos were still working after the crash (didn't test motor)

A thing I thought strange though, was as I got close to the wreck (say 10 metres) the FrSky Tx beeped telling me there is loss of signal. Funny, because with the aircraft on the ground it should have beeped 50 metres away then stopped when I got to 10 metres.

Is this crash due to the higher load in a dive that the control system in these foamies just won't cut it? E.g. the control wire is too long and cannot exert enough force?
I have not heard of EZGPs needing the elevator servo mounted in the tail, but it looks like that's what I will have to do

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
to remove ads between posts