where not really tight before.
tburley is offline Find More Posts by tburley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, CA, Chino Hills
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Well there is a need for a few of those BV tabs

Ya Todd, needs a few more tabs and maybe a re-adajustment to the tabs on the mid section to get a more snug fit. Well the wet sanding and then I hope to bring out the paint. I need to still make a former for the nose gear retract unit.
jefffassbinder is online now Find More Posts by jefffassbinder
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Align Multicopter Seminars
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Prep and Masking

Well getting a lot closer to bringing out the paint. Was sanding and doing some prep and masking. I hope the temps are a little higher tomorrow so I can paint.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Painting

Bring out some paint. Todd make it look easy. Well this should work for now. I have a few more things I need to attend to and then electronics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:29 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Jeff,
Great job with your repair and repaint! Cant tell it was even damaged! Looking forward to seeing this with a 90mm in it!!!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Repairs

Hello pdawg, hey thanks for the cover on the F-22 I did receive that and will use. Well the Viper is coming along. I need to create a step to reduce the ducting to fit the fan face. Then figure out the battery mounting. I hope that I can use the same setup battery I'm running on my T-45 90mm as I'm able to fly for 5 minute on a 12s setup. I only fly around a 50-60% and gun it on the strafe. I hope that I'm able to use the same battery configuration in order to reduce battery weight. Reduced weight and lighter wing loading and maybe have a great combo, maybe.... Well only one way to find out and for me it is not on the bench. So time to get it done and ready for flight once again. My hope is better flight performance at a lighter AUW.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
288 Posts
I see bottles of testors enamel. Is that what you are using and if so what do you use as a reducer? Looks good.
db_sonic is offline Find More Posts by db_sonic
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Mar 2007
376 Posts
paint thinner

1 to 1 works great.
RCSCALEGUY is offline Find More Posts by RCSCALEGUY
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Reducing Paint

Paint Thinner is what I use to reduce the paint with enamels. Ratio for me depends on temperature.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Nose Gear in and doing a door

Well here is the unfinished part of the Viper. I have put a nose gear unit in and again stayed simple and as light as possible. I was going to just do a panel for the nose gear to pop through but instead said to myself why not just seal it up. So I made a door and then hinged and got the shape. Now glassing and will start the prep to paint this small area which was painted yellow previously. Then install my valve and also steering and valve servo. Then create a door mechanism to open and close via the wheel or strut.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Nose Section

Well I'm getting closer to getting this Viper back to flight status. I've glued in my tabs for the TJ 90mm and moved it way back from the front intakes in order to reduce sound. Also by using a 90mm fan I can use 12s 3300 thru 3700 mah packs. This should reduce weight. While still providing 5 minute flights.

I've also opted to create a functioning gear door on the nose wheel rather than a cut out. Mounted my steering servo and check the travel. Now I just need to create a mechanism for the door to close on retraction.

Last I've painted the bottom nose area Yellow as Todd had done to mimic a scheme he had done on one of Dino D. birds. Well I've continued with what he had previously done. Well it's not Todd super quality but should be good enough for me. Upstairs it should provide a little visibility while inverted turning right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
I likey
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Getting the electronics installed

Well it getting close to ROG. I made a intake extension to get the air moving back to the fan in it's new location. I will be finishing up the airlines and then it should be ready to go. Well thanks Todd, your paint scheme is really good and it good practice to try to learn what you did. Since I still have a big ME-262 hiding out. Which I would like to put together and fly. Rich's bird is a great flyer and at it size is very nice. Twins would be cool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined May 2007
316 Posts
Jeff that paint scheme is almost too good. She is tough to see. Before I put her in I talked to Todd about putting some yellow on the bottom wing tips. Luftwaffe did this in th early years so not to far from accurate. Anyways. Something to consider.
Pandissix is offline Find More Posts by Pandissix
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:18 PM
Bakersfield, CA
Joined Sep 2003
140 Posts
agree, add some yellow as rich mentioned