HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Discussion
Newbie would like to know: What is a BEC?

I see ESCs with and without BEC. Do I need an ESC with BEC?
mprs4me is offline Find More Posts by mprs4me
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 12:24 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
BEC is "battery eliminator circuit" which means your motor [at full voltage] and your Rx and servos [at reduced voltage] are powered directly from your flight pack. If you have an Opto ESC with no BEC you'd need a separate Rx pack or a stand-alone UBEC providing correct 5v-6v to power Rx and servos.

Typically Opto ESCs are used on big planes with multiple servos [4-10] and running on more than 3s voltage [4s-12s].
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old May 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
OK. So, if I understand correctly, I DO want an ESC with BEC. I'm talking about a Super Cub that I'm converting to brushless, and I also have a slow stick. So, I want an ESC with BEC, right? Thanks very much.
Dave
Old May 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Yes. It'll save the weight of an extra receiver pack.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Thanks - everyone! Now, next question: I'm looking at the Hobbywing and Exceed Proton 40A ESCs. Anything bad to report on either of these? I'm leaning towards the Exceed.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,923 Posts
Quote:
... newbie ...
E-flight 101 by RCG member Ken Myers, will at least save you a ruined LiPo (or worse!), a burnt motor and a fried ESC:
http://www.theampeer.org/framesefo.html
-> Electric Power Basics
and this e-book
-> EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old May 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprs4me View Post
Thanks - everyone! Now, next question: I'm looking at the Hobbywing and Exceed Proton 40A ESCs. Anything bad to report on either of these? I'm leaning towards the Exceed.
They are the same (the Exceed Proton is an OEM version of the Hobbywing Pentium). It is a good reliable low-cost controller, easy to set up (even easier with the optional programming card) and has a switch-mode BEC which stays cool.

A linear BEC gets rid of excess voltage by heating up. If it gets too hot then it will shut down, killing the power to your receiver. A switch-mode BEC is recommended if running more than 3 servos on 3S.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Thanks, Bruce. That's good to know so if one is on sale, I'll get that one! LOL! I've been looking for the programming card, but haven't found it yet. Maybe the 40A doesn't have one? I just don't know. Sorry if that's a stupid comment. :0)
Old May 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined May 2012
134 Posts
Found the programming card. Placed my order. My thanks to everyone who responded and helped me learn something today. :0)