SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:56 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Robin View Post
rcnewbieoz,
Any dimensions for the tail feathers for the Red Baron to match the wing. Plans (hand-sketch of dims) would be good as it is by far the best proportioned looking plane I have seen for a while and with your excellent finish looks superb. Tempted to get out the Depron straight away"
Regards Old_Robin from the UK
Hi Old-Robin

Here are the dimensions, the top and bottom wing are the same.

The fuse length of 840mm is the longest edge of an A1 foamboard.

The nose cowling is the bottom of a 'Big Red' tomato ketchup plastic bottle.

Powertrain:

Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor
2200mah 3S battery
40-50A Hobbyking ESC
Turnigy 3A ubec

Other bits:
Orange 6ch RX
Hobbyking 10g servos.
70mmx20mm foam wheels
7x5 prop

I hope someone finds this useful!
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Last edited by rcnewbieoz; Jan 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Hi Old-Robin

Here are the dimensions, the top and bottom wing are the same.

The fuse length of 840mm is the longest edge of an A1 foamboard.

The nose cowling is the bottom of a 'Big Red' tomato ketchup plastic bottle.

Powertrain:

Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor
2200mah 3S battery
40-50A Hobbyking ESC
Turnigy 3A ubec

Other bits:
Orange 6ch RX
Hobbyking 10g servos.
70mmx20mm foam wheels
7x5 prop

I hope someone finds this useful!
Great job thanks for the illustration.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhfxfxr View Post
Ed,
...a little more rigid at Lowe's or Home Depot. Formica sample pieces seem very nice for this, but can also serve as the base plate for the motor mount on your aircraft. They are free and just a bit thicker than your typical credit card or gift card.
Nice first post! Looks like a promising suggestion, especially for guys using this motor mount -- (the mount is a perfect fit for the recommended Axon motor).
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:22 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhfxfxr View Post
Ed,
... I like the gift card tool for working the tape on the Armin Wing, but found something a little more rigid at Lowe's or Home Depot. Formica sample pieces seem very nice for this, but can also serve as the base plate for the motor mount on your aircraft. They are free and just a bit thicker than your typical credit card or gift card.....
Who knew, Formica didn't die in the 70's? Good idea, I will definitely keep an eye out for these! Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 PM
THE BUILD IS ON
United States, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Apr 2012
784 Posts
What's the down/right thrust for the Photon? Thanks.
RPM314 is offline Find More Posts by RPM314
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Falcon Mk.VI
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:44 PM
Racquetball Lives!
United States, AL, Prattville
Joined Jul 2010
206 Posts
latest builds

Here are a couple of my latest builds. There were four builds over all. My f--ugly jet is in post #1898. I then built two photons. Each had a 2" fuselage. One was square and one had a triangle. I converted the square one to twin motors and totaled it on it first twin maiden when an aileron horn pulled loose and the plane rolled in and cartwheeled. But as a single motor, it flew fine. My second photon is still a single and will remain so. Someone remarked how my first photon looked gift-wrapped so I decided to wrap the second one with Christmas paper saying it was the gift that already came wrapped. This photon is directly servo driven--no push rods and no control horns! My last build was based on a twin build I saw earlier in this thread(can't seem to find it). Just wanted to let you know I did not come up with this idea first. It's a twin to use as a camera platform. It slings a lot of weight under the wing so it's quite stable. Or in other words, it doesn't roll worth S#$t!. On it's first flight a control horn also pulled loose on the aileron, but I was able to land it okay. All control horns now have back plates! The twin uses two Hobby King AX2308N 1800kv bell motors, two 18 amp ESCs, and a 3000A 3s Sky lipo battery. The camera is the Emerson Action Cam sold at Big Lots for $39. Trying to load up movie maker so I can edit my videos. Will post as soon as I learn how to use it.
Backwall is offline Find More Posts by Backwall
Last edited by Backwall; Jan 27, 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
I ask a lot of questions.
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Aug 2012
211 Posts
AXON: RET armin wing design question

Can the armin wing be built without the control surfaces for the Axon?
Can the Axon be built in only a RET design?

I thought about building the armin wing with full control surfaces and servos installed, but not plugged into the receiver so I can still fly RET. But then I don't know how I would make sure those surfaces don't move and cause flight problems.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Stew
Disco Stew is offline Find More Posts by Disco Stew
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
292 Posts
Do you have a technique or suggestions on how to smooth foam surfaces. sanding leaves a rough surface and I am trying to cover the foam with econocoat without seeing the orange peel texture of the underlying foam. Tx....JJ
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:23 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
Do you have a technique or suggestions on how to smooth foam surfaces. sanding leaves a rough surface and I am trying to cover the foam with econocoat without seeing the orange peel texture of the underlying foam. Tx....JJ
WBPU mixed half and half with light weight spackle......brush on, sand off, brush on, sand off, etc. until it's good enough for you......
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Some light slope flying with my powered Petrel 40" and freshly installed landing gear:
Petrel 40 with landing gear sloping (6 min 33 sec)
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stew View Post
Can the armin wing be built without the control surfaces for the Axon
I'm sure you can build a modified Armin type wing without control surfaces.

Just leave out the step of scoring through the foam at the hinge point.

Note that to get a good overall aerodynamic curve / aesthetic effect, you'll still need to bevel down the trailing edge of the wing chord, and then also bevel down the trailing edge of the now vestigial ailerons.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwall View Post
Here are a couple of my latest builds. There were four builds over all. My f--ugly jet is in post #1898. I then built two photons. Each had a 2" fuselage. One was square and one had a triangle. I converted the square one to twin motors and totaled it on it first twin maiden when an aileron horn pulled loose and the plane rolled in and cartwheeled. But as a single motor, it flew fine. My second photon is still a single and will remain so. Someone remarked how my first photon looked gift-wrapped so I decided to wrap the second one with Christmas paper saying it was the gift that already came wrapped. This photon is directly servo driven--no push rods and no control horns! My last build was based on a twin build I saw earlier in this thread(can't seem to find it). Just wanted to let you know I did not come up with this idea first. It's a twin to use as a camera platform. It slings a lot of weight under the wing so it's quite stable. Or in other words, it doesn't roll worth S#$t!. On it's first flight a control horn also pulled loose on the aileron, but I was able to land it okay. All control horns now have back plates! The twin uses two Hobby King AX2308N 1800kv bell motors, two 18 amp ESCs, and a 3000A 3s Sky lipo battery. The camera is the Emerson Action Cam sold at Big Lots for $39. Trying to load up movie maker so I can edit my videos. Will post as soon as I learn how to use it.
Nice twin motor, does the plane fly well?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Some light slope flying with my powered Petrel 40" and freshly installed landing gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7na...e_gdata_player
Hey Averan she flew right out of your hand nice job thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:30 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Here are a couple of my latest builds. There were four builds over all. My f--ugly jet is in post #1898. I then built two photons. Each had a 2" fuselage. One was square and one had a triangle. I converted the square one to twin motors and totaled it on it first twin maiden when an aileron horn pulled loose and the plane rolled in and cartwheeled. But as a single motor, it flew fine. My second photon is still a single and will remain so. Someone remarked how my first photon looked gift-wrapped so I decided to wrap the second one with Christmas paper saying it was the gift that already came wrapped. This photon is directly servo driven--no push rods and no control horns! .......... Will post as soon as I learn how to use it.
Hey, these are sweet! Seems like your camera plane could double as cargo dropper too. You have mad tape and covering skills to be sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:54 AM
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
This photon is directly servo driven--no push rods and no control horns!
Would love to see some close up photos of that arrangement if you have any.
Ricklandia is offline Find More Posts by Ricklandia