SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Anyone one know off hand about how long a 2300mah 6.6v 2S receiver battery would last in this bird at normal use before needing to be recharged? Just a rough estimate would be fine.
I understand the question but why carry extra dead weight where its not necessary. All you are looking for is about 7-8amp a flight to avoid LVC and amp load in case a servo or gear locks.
The A123 is like 170g ea and are expensive putting out 13.8 amps.
Why not get several 1100mAh 2S LiFe RX batts that weigh only 80g, out put 11 amps. They only cost less that $4 ea (about 8 to 1 A123) and you can swap them each flight (though they will do two flight if you don't have anything jamming up on you). You have to swap the main so just swap one of these ea flight at a much lower weight penalty and better cost ratio.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
...my 22g ELE servo failed on preflight test, replaced with HiTech but had to sand to make fit, .....
ITTD, you keep saying that like the refit is a monumental task. You're only shaving off 1mm to get them to fit. So if you sand both sides of the servo lightly and sand the mount lightly you get a fit. Several went with the 82 or 85.

Stock is a 17g servo and only needed replacement by some. Others find they work fine. Only if they have some visible issues would it be a concern; like anything else. They're not like the ESC that are not duct cooled and with varying quality making them less predictable.

The only thing that "snuck" up on some with the stock 17g servos were some of the radio wires were not properly soldered to the servo board. I opened mine and double checked the solder and they appear to work as fine as the several 5085s that I typically use..... So far.....

FW has been hit and miss for servos for the past what 4 years. Some work fine others not. You bought a PnP, use what you can and replace what needs to be in pairs. No need to red flag something to automatically swap out when there may be no need. Some of our comments may encourage some to purchase what they don't need and junk somethings that may be very useful.

The only thing I'd automatically swap is the ESCs because they have flamed out on the bench, in the skies and every where in between with no way to tell before hand if they were up to the job or not. Everything else is check and replace as needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
ITTD, you keep saying that like the refit is a monumental task. You're only shaving off 1mm to get them to fit. So if you sand both sides of the servo lightly and sand the mount lightly you get a fit. Several went with the 82 or 85.

Stock is a 17g servo and only needed replacement by some. Others find they work fine. Only if they have some visible issues would it be a concern; like anything else. They're not like the ESC that are not duct cooled and with varying quality making them less predictable.

The only thing that "snuck" up on some with the stock 17g servos were some of the radio wires were not properly soldered to the servo board. I opened mine and double checked the solder and they appear to work as fine as the several 5085s that I typically use..... So far.....

FW has been hit and miss for servos for the past what 4 years. Some work fine others not. You bought a PnP, use what you can and replace what needs to be in pairs. No need to red flag something to automatically swap out when there may be no need. Some of our comments may encourage some to purchase what they don't need and junk somethings that may be very useful.

The only thing I'd automatically swap is the ESCs because they have flamed out on the bench, in the skies and every where in between with no way to tell before hand if they were up to the job or not. Everything else is check and replace as needed.
haha not monumental, but on my grey camo, I really had to sand down the HiTech MG, I exposed the parts of the tiny screws holding the case together, which is not a really good idea. Just want to get the point across that there is an exact fit replacement, also I have had many 35 pilots send YT messages about that ELE servo failing, before maiden!! so there has to be a QC issues there, but in fairness they do look sturdy, too bad some one is not taking their time at the factory to ensure quality especially in the soldering...
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
I'm using a stock setup with a CC BEC and Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 6S 25~50C Lipo. It can hover, but not pull out of it. I did do a double aileron axis spin in a hover the other day before it fell out.

If anyone noticed, I pulled out my two Ice Lite 50s. My vendor came through with stock ESC replacements a while back. The only issue I had with the CC ESCs was because I was too lazy to set them up for fixed EPA throttle ranges. On initial takeoff acceleration one motor would spool up before the other kicked in.

I got in two flights this weekend. I had shifted the CG near the aft limit stated in the manual. She lands much easier now, I still keep overflaring just before touchdown though. The retract aluminum plate reinforcements are holding up so far as well.

So far one LiPo is sitting at 11 flights and 4 for the other, no drops in performance, yet...
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
I'd recommend doing 100a escs for anyone plan upgrading a fan/motor, it gives you plenty of room to play with on a motor fan combo. I originally went with 80a escs and now the motor combo I want is a Cs10/12 with a 2200kv setup, which will be just below my escs 80a max, but too close for comfort for me. So like i said if you have any intentions of more power just do a 100a esc min.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
I'm using a stock setup with a CC BEC and Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 6S 25~50C Lipo. It can hover, but not pull out of it. I did do a double aileron axis spin in a hover the other day before it fell out.

If anyone noticed, I pulled out my two Ice Lite 50s. My vendor came through with stock ESC replacements a while back. The only issue I had with the CC ESCs was because I was too lazy to set them up for fixed EPA throttle ranges. On initial takeoff acceleration one motor would spool up before the other kicked in.

I got in two flights this weekend. I had shifted the CG near the aft limit stated in the manual. She lands much easier now, I still keep overflaring just before touchdown though. The retract aluminum plate reinforcements are holding up so far as well.

So far one LiPo is sitting at 11 flights and 4 for the other, no drops in performance, yet...
This is good news! 11 trouble free flights and your lipo is holding up well.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
I forgot to mention no flight has exceeded 4 minutes. My timer gives an initial warning at 3:30 after which I setup for landing.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
I forgot to mention no flight has exceeded 4 minutes. My timer gives an initial warning at 3:30 after which I setup for landing.
I guess I need a egg timer huh?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
I think it would help. My biggest fear is having one ESC triggering the LVC before the other. Landing would be tough with unstable yaw thrust differences, and who knows what voltage they are set to? I don't trust no name ESCs that don't give this type of information when it comes to preserving my battery's lifespan.

That may sound funny, as I trust them just fine for pushing my plane through the air.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,671 Posts
Quote:
....I have had many 35 pilots send YT messages about that ELE servo failing, before maiden!!......
??? YT messages?. Meaning? Hopefully that's not sending you PMs rather than sharing with everyone if there is a on going issue.

Funny, go check the B-17, Mosquito and Me-262 threads.... they all use the exact same servo and there are no scream of horror coming from them there parts.

I sincerely imagine QC can completely change with a coffee break on the Assembly line but like I said, check it first. There are a lot of models with those servos going out and if they were that bad we'd more likely hear about it across the board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,671 Posts
Good to hear it. Actually isn't that what we said is expected. Keep it within that time window not at WOT the entire flight and you are around your limit. But your next concern of LVC tripping on ESC before the other is real which is why slightly higher C is a worth while investment.
Quote:
...Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 6S 25~50C Lipo. ...So far one LiPo is sitting at 11 flights and 4 for the other, no drops in performance, yet...
Quote:
[Never] exceeded 4 minutes. My timer gives an initial warning at 3:30 after which I setup for landing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
3,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
??? YT messages?. Meaning? Hopefully that's not sending you PMs rather than sharing with everyone if there is a on going issue.

Funny, go check the B-17, Mosquito and Me-262 threads.... they all use the exact same servo and there are no scream of horror coming from them there parts.

I sincerely imagine QC can completely change with a coffee break on the Assembly line but like I said, check it first. There are a lot of models with those servos going out and if they were that bad we'd more likely hear about it across the board.
No-- PM on YT mail from Su35 fliers who are on YT and see my vids I doubt they are on rcgroups, or have any idea rcgroups exists- I have several msg's all say the same after watching my grey camo maiden where I state the ELE servo died on preflight test and I replaced them.
IntheTubeDeep is offline Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,844 Posts
The norm for me was replace all servos on PnP , but as I've seen more and more , the FW stocks servos ain't that bad. I have yet to have a failed servo from FW and on my Me262 plan on using em. They've come along way since their earlier v1 euro/ fa19/su34 servos.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:50 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,671 Posts
Quote:
No-- PM on YT mail from Su35 fliers who are on YT and see my vids I doubt they are on rcgroups, or have any idea rcgroups exists- I have several msg's all say the same after watching my grey camo maiden where I state the ELE servo died on preflight test and I replaced them.
Oh YouTube posts and msgs. Power of suggestion?
If I start saying and asking over and over everyone starts to find truth in it and suddenly there are all these posts.
And a YT acnt is a closed composite of data. You're one pilot that had a failure that attracks similar comments. RCG you have a wide range of experiences on both sides and you get a very differnt picture.
That's why I said look at the other planes that have successfully used it for some time. Picture then is very different. But its still a concern to be checked just like any PnP.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So, From what I read here I should do rather well with the two 4400mah 6S 65~130C Lipo Packs I got.The SU35 should go fast with a C rating of 65-130