HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:19 AM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Help!
dyeable wheels from traxxas.....??? what tires!?!

So awhile back I bought some dyeable wheels from Traxxas. These are the ones..... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJK63

The problem is...I'm a car n00b.
And...
I am not sure if the proline tires I have will work with these rims. I've only changed tires out on my stock rims from the Rusty. With those...there is a little groove that you slide part of the tire into. On these rims I bought from traxxas....there is a large groove that is WAY to big for the lip of the tire to slide into. Plus, the groove on the traxxas rim is vertical and the groove on the stock rims is horizontal.

What gives? Are these rims for a different style of tire or something?
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:37 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Any 2.2 tire should fit.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:46 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
as said, any 2.2 tire will work. do you have any pictures of what's happening? the other thing you could do is just get some proline ones, as any rim is dyeable, you just have to remove the chrome from wheels with chrome on it.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Jan 09, 2011, 01:00 AM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
I guess my question is how do I mount the proline tires I have to that Traxxas rim.

Take the stock wheel on a rustler. The part of the wheel where the thin part of the tire is inserted and glued into is different on these dyeable wheels I linked to on towers website. The 'slot' for each edge of the tire to slip into/be glued on the stock rim is horizontal, while the 'slot' for the tire to be glued into on this dyeable wheel I have is vertical.....and wide.

I guess I'll get some pictures. I was trying to avoid opening the package of wheels until I knew what was going on...but, oh well. I gotta get some sand paws mounted up!
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:49 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Well, went and pulled the rims from the package and tried mounting some prolines on them. Worked just fine.

Ignorance at it's finest. I just didn't know there was another way to mount the same tire on two different style of rims. I actually prefer the way these rims accept the tires.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:58 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Happy RC'ing.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:36 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyGlow View Post
Well, went and pulled the rims from the package and tried mounting some prolines on them. Worked just fine.

Ignorance at it's finest. I just didn't know there was another way to mount the same tire on two different style of rims. I actually prefer the way these rims accept the tires.
What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:12 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Thanks guys. I"m not afraid to admit I"m wrong every once in awhile. I"ve been in training...err, married for awhile now.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:08 AM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,135 Posts
Update: Sand Paws in the snow is AWESOME!!! I am pretty surprised how well they do. Plenty of roost to go around, that's for sure.

Learned another lesson. When a tire says 2.2/3.0....it means the inner bead is larger than the outer. So....gotta get me some slash wheels to be able to use the Mohawk tires I got for the front. Although, the Gladiators work ok.....I'm sure the sand tires will be even better.