HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:09 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
Discussion
rudder goes the other way!

i have 3 6400 bricks: 1 came with the 4site and runs great; every movement with the corresponding stick matches: left stick to left moves rudder to left

the 2nd is installed on another plane and runs great, too: left sitck moves
ruder to left;

the 3rd is installed same way as the 2nd: same geometry; all runs as expected, except the rudder: when i turns left stick to left, rudder goes right.

i also posted this on the 6400 thread because it is a 6400 that is giving me trouble, but here it reaches a wider number of viewers and may be better chances to find the answer.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Channel reversed? If not... then reverse it?

I know the AR6400 has a variety of programmable options. Maybe check those as well.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,585 Posts
One would think that simply reversing the rudder channel would do the trick if you are using other then stock TX, not sure how the stock TX is setup.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i have 3 6400 bricks: 1 came with the 4site and runs great; every movement with the corresponding stick matches: left stick to left moves rudder to left the 2nd is installed on another plane and runs great, too: left sitck moves ruder to left;the 3rd is installed same way as the 2nd: same geometry; all runs as expected, except the rudder: when i turns left stick to left, rudder goes right.i also posted this on the 6400 thread because it is a 6400 that is giving me trouble, but here it reaches a wider number of viewers and may be better chances to find the answer.
thanks
With respect, most probable cause is the geometry. Whilst you have already said it is the same, you may be looking at one which whilst inverted appears to be the same. Suggest place two models side by side and check rods are connected to horns on same side of servo and rudder - in need swap the receivers from model to model and check they are still operate the rudder in the same manner.
Servo - Installation into fuselage & wings - extensive pictorial
Alternatively - AR6400 Manual
"Reversing Servos
Servo reversing may be achieved using the servo reversing function of your transmitter, or as
certain advanced applications require it, you may reverse the actual servos by following the
instructions and diagrams below.
Reversing The Servos on the Receiver Board
This feature reverses the servos at the board level, making it useful for implementing features such as
elevons while using transmitters with limited programming options.
Note: All changes made in advanced programming must start with the receiver powered down to
prevent the motor from running unexpectedly."

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Oct 25, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
I just checked the AR6400 manual and it does have instructions for reversing the servos for "transmitters with limited programming options".

So one of yours may be reversed on the brick. Follow the AR6400 reversing instructions or just re-reverse it in the transmitter.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
1 by 1

ok guys, terrific response. thanks a million. here i come, 1 by 1"
Dave and chip: reversing seems the most promising. i am using the DX6i tx. what happens is that i got these two bricks from modelers that used them previously, so who knows what they tried without me knowing.
AT: the geometry is ok. checked it thoroughly. i agree that it is just too easy to get mixed-up with this, but i am positive that it is exactly like the other 1.
about swaping rx, due to the installation, i rather would try this as last resource, as it requires some undesirable surgery. back to reversing the servo: i want to reverse the servo only on that specific brick. if i program it for that servo on the board, does it affect only that specific brick? i am under the impression that if i do the reversing, it will affect all the bricks, buy i may be wrong. it's my lack of knowledge of the way this electronic things work. please advice. and also, if this is the way for just that brick, i have this doubt: how do i know which 1 is channel 2, 3 and 4, without trying it and then having to undo it? it does not say which channel 2 is. like: rudder, for instance.
thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 25, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
If you reverse in the transmitter, it will affect that one model.

If you reverse it in the brick, it will affect that one brick.

Which kind of works out the same until/unless you start rebinding things or moving bricks etc.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
channel #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
If you reverse in the transmitter, it will affect that one model.

If you reverse it in the brick, it will affect that one brick.

Which kind of works out the same until/unless you start rebinding things or moving bricks etc.
what i did not explain is that am using just 1 program for all 3 planes (bricks), so what you said applies as if i reverse on the tx, it will affect all 3 equally-that is what i don't want, but if i program this to reverse on the brick, it will affect that particular brick only-that's what i want. thanks, Dave.
wonders of electronics!
now, if somebody could tell me which channel # in the instructions applies to rudder, elevator, ailerons?
thanks
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:26 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
. . .
now, if somebody could tell me which channel # in the instructions applies to rudder, elevator, ailerons?
thanks
It's in the manual:

Rudder (CH4) servo
Elevator (CH3) servo
Aileron (CH2)
Reversed Aileron (CH2) or Aux1 (CH6)
X-Port (all 4 pins) or Gear (CH5) (lower 3 pins)

That leaves throttle to be on CH1.

i.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
It's in the manual:

Rudder (CH4) servo
Elevator (CH3) servo
Aileron (CH2)
Reversed Aileron (CH2) or Aux1 (CH6)
X-Port (all 4 pins) or Gear (CH5) (lower 3 pins)

That leaves throttle to be on CH1.

i.
thanks a lot! i think that is all that i need.
somehow,i never got the original manual, and the 1 available in the net is sort of compacted and does not show this.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:54 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,635 Posts
There's a link to the manual in Alan T's post (#4):

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
. . .
Alternatively - AR6400 Manual
. . .
i.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
There's a link to the manual in Alan T's post (#4):

i.
yeah, that's the 1 i have.
but, reading it all over, i still can't find the info you provided.
anyway thanks again for the input.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
success

well, finally i made it. rudder goes the right way.
it was not without several attempts, because the light did not blink 3 times, and the rudder kept going the wrong way.
it took me some time to figure out that it could be due to a mod i did before to the tx: i added throttle lock by adding a switch and following the sequence that chip provided long time ago.
normally i keep the throttle switch on lock position (no throttle) , so now i moved the switch to on, tried again the steps, and now, it worked!
so this is the end of the story-a happy ending.

i want to thank you all great guys for the terrific help.