HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:18 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,387 Posts
I started fly the PZ T-28 & Wildcat at about the same time. I guess together, they were my "aileron trainers".

The Wildcat is probably no more difficult to fly, and I've certainly found belly-landing to be much easier than landing either a trike-gear or tail-dragger. It's much more agile than the T-28, and at least seems much faster.

Thing with the Wildcat is... flying circuits & basic maneuvers are easy enough that it's it's very easy to get cocky and find yourself in a situation well beyond a beginner's skill level. Call it a psychological thing: when you're flying a fighter, you're going to want to fly it like a fighter.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
I started fly the PZ T-28 & Wildcat at about the same time. I guess together, they were my "aileron trainers".

The Wildcat is probably no more difficult to fly, and I've certainly found belly-landing to be much easier than landing either a trike-gear or tail-dragger. It's much more agile than the T-28, and at least seems much faster.

Thing with the Wildcat is... flying circuits & basic maneuvers are easy enough that it's it's very easy to get cocky and find yourself in a situation well beyond a beginner's skill level. Call it a psychological thing: when you're flying a fighter, you're going to want to fly it like a fighter.
+1

Me too

I was already flying larger, more complicated models, but wanted something simpler, to really hone my skills and concentrate on flying, not fixing crummy retracts, etc. I bought mine at the same time as well. And yes, they really compliment each other. Together, they were my true aileron trainers

For about 4 months, I rarely went to field without both in the car. I racked up dozens of flight hours on these stalwart planes over the course of the summer...I'd always fly the T-28 first, then switch to the Wildcat, alternating between the two for hours...

A heck of alot of fun, it's hard to beat the Wildcat for pure fun factor !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
495 Posts
Thanks to all for your input. I've have heard from other sources as well that the T-28 would be an excellent choice. However, I'm not too crazy about the looks of the T-28. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Not the right thread, perhaps... but what is different about the "old" Parkzone F4U and the current Parkzone F4U that makes the "old" one a better choice between the two?
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,198 Posts
The PZ F4U thread would definitely be the place to get those questions answered...we like our fighters a little portly around here !
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:39 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ming View Post
Thanks to all for your input. I've have heard from other sources as well that the T-28 would be an excellent choice. However, I'm not too crazy about the looks of the T-28. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Not the right thread, perhaps... but what is different about the "old" Parkzone F4U and the current Parkzone F4U that makes the "old" one a better choice between the two?
The new one is a little heavier with a larger motor so it goes a bit faster. The original one is a little more tame for a biginner.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,387 Posts
Quote:

I'm still not a big fan of the T-28's looks. But it's been rugged & reliable. Whatever you get for a 4CH trainer *will* get beat up. Maybe an oddball bit of thinking, but for a trainer... get something you're not going to care about keeping in pristine condition.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
495 Posts
Quote:
Maybe an oddball bit of thinking, but for a trainer... get something you're not going to care about keeping in pristine condition.
CF105:

That thought crossed my mind. (Really it did!)

No, I don't WANT to ever crash a plane... but it wouldn't be so bad to have to glue n' tape a wing onto a T-28 as opposed to say... an SE5a... or a sharp looking little Wildcat, etc!

SO...

The "Definite Maybe" is:

One of the Spektrum 6i radios and a T-28.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
I'm still not a big fan of the T-28's looks. But it's been rugged & reliable. Whatever you get for a 4CH trainer *will* get beat up. Maybe an oddball bit of thinking, but for a trainer... get something you're not going to care about keeping in pristine condition.
Again, have to agree with CF,

I've always thought the T-28 looked "cartoonish" at best. I think it's called "stand-off scale" or something like that. But for overall bang for the buck, it's really, really hard to beat. The T-28 can get bumps and bruises, and that's okay. If the Wildcat gets any bruises, it hurts !
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
Quote:
CF105:

No, I don't WANT to ever crash a plane... but it wouldn't be so bad to have to glue n' tape a wing onto a T-28 as opposed to say... an SE5a... or a sharp looking little Wildcat, etc!

SO...

The "Definite Maybe" is:

Aim big, go for the Dx7s!!!!! Search in the radio classifieds here. I got a nice used one here for my son at a fair price. You look at the 6i and say 10 planes is a bunch of memory but you will fill it faster than you think. You also could do a killer paint job on the T-28! Look up paint schemes on the web. You can make it as cool as you want. Still, the F4F is not a lot harder to fly for a beginner. Here is a pic of my UM T-28 I painted. Yes, the rudder was not on yet.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
937 Posts
Quote:
A crashed plane just means it is time for a new paint scheme when repaired.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Thanks, I'll have to try that maneuver. Sounds fun
I recall reading that!
Do you roll to inverted and pull up E to dive?
I have been doing that to bleed off speed and save room
Turning around for approach.
Have not yet used it to gain speed!
Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
Flying is Freedom
Annandale, VA
Joined Jul 2007
6,385 Posts
Quote:
CF105:

SO...

The "Definite Maybe" is:

Since you brought it up, I don't like to glue tape any of my stuff. I do it because I have to, but if I had a choice, I would always buy a new wing or fuse because I can't stand my stuff to look like it's been crashed
Sky_Captain is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Captain
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Since you brought it up, I don't like to glue tape any of my stuff. I do it because I have to, but if I had a choice, I would always buy a new wing or fuse because I can't stand my stuff to look like it's been crashed
I hear ya.
I have beaters and some nice virgin looking uncrashed stuff.
#2 Wildcat was supposed to stay nice, tearing off the E horn was still
pilot error. Sinking feeling to look at it now, but at 45 mph 30 yards out
it is doing it's thing, like my old beloved dog.
I do have a few RIP units in the bone yard! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:58 AM
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
I do have a few RIP units in the bone yard! Chris
I do not see a crashed plane as trash but as an opportunity to make the plane into something else. Either by bashing the remains, such as my Thomas Morse Scout made from a crashed Eflite SE5A or just a repaint like my Parkzone F4F or FW190.
degreen60 is offline Find More Posts by degreen60
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Aim big, go for the Dx7s!!!!! Search in the radio classifieds here. I got a nice used one here for my son at a fair price. You look at the 6i and say 10 planes is a bunch of memory but you will fill it faster than you think.
+1
I bought the Dx7 last year because the Dx6 was not available because of the model upgrade, but am now very please to have it. I already have 9 models entered, including one for the Phoenix Sim. Also the extra channel is useful for more complicated aileron and flap configurations, and the flaps have two positions instead of one.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin