SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2009, 11:17 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Discussion
Miss Adventures with fiberglass

Okay, after muddling along for a few months, I finally got to the stage where I could shoot the first clear coat. I thought I was pulling into the final lap of getting this boat finished until, to my horror, the finish looked like crap. Inside the house without direct light, the boat looks awesome. In the sun, however, blush is everywhere. I don't get it. I wet sanded between coats of resin, giving lots of time for moisture to evaporate. I'm not sure where to go next. I can hardly stand to look at this thing after all the time I've spent on it. The thought of sanding back down to wood makes me want to reach for the bottle, instead.
Jon S is offline Find More Posts by Jon S
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,745 Posts
Are you using lacquer clear? The blush could be just in that layer, which might sand off without too much work.
I lucked out and had no issues when I used clear lacquer... but had a horrible time with blush when I did a bright red job on another boat... very humidity-sensitive.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:40 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Unfortunately, the blush is in the resin. I tried to keep the ratio just right, but with mixing such small batches, I must have gotten it off. I guess I better get the pumps and just end up wasting a bunch with each application. Oh, I used West Systems.
By the way, what would you guys do in my situation? Should I bite the bullet and go back down to wood, paint it, or just finish it off even though it's not going to look good?
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:51 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,745 Posts
Don't know what to tell you... haven't heard of blush in epoxy resin... look with a magnifier, is it a bunch of champagne bubbles? Or maybe in filling & sanding, you got multiple layers exposed?
I mix epoxy with an electronic postage meter, often in batches about 1 oz total... never had an issue with ratio. But bubbles can be a headache, heat will help drive them out.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:58 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,982 Posts
Just call it "burlwood" and don't worry about it.

http://www.finalskinz.com/patterns.aspx?pattern=wood
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
I looked at the spots with my magnifying glasses and yeah, they are super tiny bubbles. So, now I'm thinking that maybe it was too cold here when I put down the resin. That was back in March or so and I'm sure it wasn't in the 60s. Could that be the culprit? I think I will just finish the boat and then try to find another kit for cheap. I do like the lines of her and would like to "make one right".
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:03 PM
pittsburgh pa
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
jon S

If your wood on the boat had a high moisture content that might be your problem. Did you keep your boat in a steady heated atmosphere or did it go from warm to cold?The heat in the resin will pull the dampness out of the wood.
Dave
daveswall is offline Find More Posts by daveswall
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Hey Dave,
The boat was in the house, but it's possible that since it was still spring when I glassed it, there was too much moisture or the temp. was too low for the 105/206 resin and hardener. I think I'll try the 205 hardener next time, which is supposed to be better at lower temps.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Had bubbles one time. It was due to placing the piece in the sun to "expedite" curing. Got too hot obviously and completely ruined the hull even past the point of sanding. Think thousands of little eyeholes.......
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
JonS- I thought I would pass along some useful info when you do any fiber glassing with epoxy resin. It does not matter whether it is the West System, MAS system, or Z-poxy finishing resin (my person favorite), is to add a touch of Xylene to the mixed epoxy and mix in thoroughly. What this does is breaks the surface tension of the epoxy as it is setting up there by allowing the bubbles to break and not get trapped under the surface. Also after you mix in the Xylene let the mix stand for a minute or two before you brush on the epoxy, you will see the trapped bubbles in the mix come to the surface and break and the mix will go clear before you start brushing on the epoxy.

The only cure I can give you on your situation other than sanding down and doing it over is a process of over staining the blush area with a color stain matching the surrounding wood and then clear coat. As for the clear coat I would rather use an exterior polyurethane clear than a lacquer for the UV protection.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:34 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Thanks on that. Do you add just a few drops to the mix? I usually just mix up two oz. of resin at a time so I can do only the deck, then the sides, etc. Also, is Xylene available at hardware stores? All I know about that stuff is it will make you grow extra limbs if you breathe too much of it.

I've decided that I'll paint this boat like in the attached pic. The number on her is the one my Grandpa used when he raced outboard hydros. He's the one in the white overalls.

When I build another one, hopefully I'll have better luck with the glassing, Xylene and all.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:16 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
Xylene can be pick up at any Home Depot or Lowey’s and most any hardware stores.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Thanks much!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:44 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined May 2005
284 Posts
Frankg, would you just add a couple of drops for a small batch (like 2-3 oz.) of resin?

Thanks,
Jon
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:01 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Don't rollers or foam brushes have fewer issues with bubbles? Just something I read someplace. How about spraying the resin on with an HVLP system? Would that make the problem worse?
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks