HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2009, 05:05 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Discussion
Idea to beef up the sliders in minium rx

Not tried this yet as my servos are still working fine after about 18 months pretty hard usage, but if/when they do go I was thinking of taking out the sliders, cutting a small slot part way through from the top towards the bottom going through the stripped out thread, and gluing into place a nut with the appropriate thread for the worm screw, after milling its outer deminsions down to fit if necessary. Would this work or are there metallic contacts that would be affected? Seems to me that it could be a very cheap mod, and quite easy if a little fiddly to do.
thewildweasel is online now Find More Posts by thewildweasel
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2009, 09:07 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
685 Posts
Sounds like an idea..Try it and if one in the middle binds then try one on each end.

jcs
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old May 05, 2009, 10:22 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,604 Posts
Are the threads on the shaft a standard size? You might have a heck of a time finding the right nuts.

A replacemnt threaded alu. arm would prob. move the point of failure somewhere else. Someone was talking about making just such a part when the Cessna was still a new plane.

Bushing the plastic arm with a tapped brass tube would be even easier if there is actually a tap available for the threads used on the shaft.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2009, 10:45 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Not an expert here. My Opinion is the brass tubing and the shaft will wear
fast too. My point is metal against metal rubbing is just as bad as metal
against plastic. No easy mod. My 2 cents.
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old May 05, 2009, 12:12 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Easy mod, use a higher strength plastic like maybe Delrin. The threads are too fine for the nylon that they used. Getting the tap to make the threads may be the difficult part.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old May 05, 2009, 01:48 PM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
920 Posts
Maybe one could make a threadcutter by making a slit in a left over worm screw. This has been done on larger wormscrews to cut threads in Delrin for mills and such.

/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old May 05, 2009, 01:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
or we could just ask Horizon to make motorless racks available for $4 instead of the current $10 for racks with motors.

Swapping racks takes just minutes but you end up with a bunch of unused motors.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 05, 2009, 02:22 PM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
After killing my first wormdrive with a "high friction" aileron conversion I took a special look on the construction of the rudder systems, rods and hinges. Carefully designed and easily moving I had no more problems. A good hint are the symmetric and very straight and easy set-up elevon and taileron drives with the known reverser/mixer board from arcox. And yes I am talking from minium/delta-elevon/taileron mini jets. With the 8mm edge motor/gear unit (approx. 25-35 gr thrust, depending on the prop) nice pushers are possible.
markus
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr