HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher View Post
Since a side-slip requires ailerons, it isn't going to happen for a RES glider. Most who are complaining about getting into small fields are flying RES or even RE.
You ought to try putting a two meter, rudder only bird in a small field. That will make a man out of you in a hurry!
Fravits is offline Find More Posts by Fravits
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:31 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
You ought to try putting a two meter, rudder only bird in a small field. That will make a man out of you in a hurry!
Hey! This man is old but not that old. Are you talking free flight converted to RC?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Aug 21, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:39 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post
There is another way and that is to use Crab where you crab into the wind. This technique can be use on just about any model but to do it right you need to practice. I like to look over my shoulder when crabbing. What I do is bring the plane around onto final and then use the rudder to crab the nose into the wind and again using the rudder keep it aligned down your approach. It can be a very handy technique in strong winds where you don't want to use flap.
Crabbing is a technique to land with crosswinds, rather than a short field landing method.
Last edited by John Gallagher; Aug 21, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher View Post
Hey! This man is old but not that old. Are you talking free flight converted to RC?
Not a converted free flight but the Midwest Lil' T guided by a Controllaire Digit Midget. Great sailplane whether you like thermals or slopes. I flew the stuffing out of it throughout the Seventies. I bought two more kits for when this one wore out, but it is still hanging in there. Rudder only is a great way to hone your landing skills. Every change of the breeze brings about a new landing equation to solve, all without an elevator to cheat with. Usually works out, but there are the occasional "arrivals."
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fravits View Post
Not a converted free flight but the Midwest Lil' T guided by a Controllaire Digit Midget. Great sailplane whether you like thermals or slopes. I flew the stuffing out of it throughout the Seventies. I bought two more kits for when this one wore out, but it is still hanging in there. Rudder only is a great way to hone your landing skills. Every change of the breeze brings about a new landing equation to solve, all without an elevator to cheat with. Usually works out, but there are the occasional "arrivals."
Any Photos?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
No promises, but I will dig around and see if I can find some of the old stuff.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Ahhhh... The "good ol' days".

My first attempts at flying R/C included a period of trying to fly birds with rudder only. Then I tried to fly powered planes "contolled" by rudder and throttle with a healthy dose of up thrust. I had very little success until I moved to gliders with rudder and elevator though I was still hampered by a Rand "Galloping Ghost" radio, also called a "wig wag", in a Lanier Hawk that weighed a ton. It did, however, fly and could be controlled to some extent. I never had to walk 17 miles, in the snow, to get to school but there really isn't any comparison between the modern technology and what we old timers went through.

If someone back then had told me that one could purchase a RTF plane that would fly out of the box for less than a month's pay i would have called them crazy.

BTW. I bypassed the escapement system in favor of said Galloping Ghost that featured a battery that weighed about 1 pound.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Found this photo of a Midwest Lil'T:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...?itemid=200543
Last edited by John Gallagher; Sep 01, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Peter, you forgot, "both ways."
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Nov 2006
466 Posts
Though not a sailplane, I took out my Mentor glider tug today and worked on side slips. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, you can really increase your rate of descent to the landing area. Got the slipping thing down fairly well, but the transition to flare needs work. We are going to do some towing next week and I will see if I can talk our KA-8 pilot into trying some slipping and leave the spoilers shut and see what happens.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:37 PM
Charlie
United Kingdom, England, Guildford
Joined May 2012
83 Posts
I can't help but wonder why people don't simply add ailerons instead of spoilers. I mean, if you are going to add the weight it may as well be ailerons, you can have the benefits of added control plus sideslip for landing! That was nice footage of the small field but that could well be side-slippable once the initial nasty trees are cleared. And without a crash-landing as well :P

Amazing work installing those scale airbrakes on the radian however
5616 is offline Find More Posts by 5616
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:45 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,964 Posts
I have a Raptor with Flaps and ailerons etc, but I would never attempt to land it on my 'landing strip'. At the same time it can fly slow and is very forgiving, just wouldn't even think about it.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:19 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5616 View Post
I have seen a trend of people feeling the need for, and being advised to set up, flap / crow / reflex braking / spoilers / prop windmill on their gliders in order to land in small sites. Entire threads discussing how to program / set up extra servos etc to do this.

My question is, why don't people simple suggest sideslipping instead? Doing a deep slip all the way to the ground is not easy but when practiced and learnt, is massively effective at dumping energy. For a simple glider (not flap-assisted thermalling) you can save on extra servos and complication by just slipping to land fast, and the challenge is fun.

Seems like a lot of searching for a technical solution to a handling problem! It kinda reminds me of hearing a guy say he wanted to fit an autopilot to his rc plane. Wasn't the idea behind buying a model, to fly it?

Do you think people are not aware they can dump energy through handling, or is it that people just enjoy having a more technologically equipped model? It has occurred to me that the latter may well be the case. I fully respect that everyone enjoys RC for different reasons, I'm just curious as to why so little is spoken of sideslipping basically. Would be interesting to hear people's thoughts!
I think as many here have said ,, it works on some planes in some conditions,, but not in others,,, on my slope I've always crabbed my plane in,,, but sure is waaaaaaay easier with flaps and or spoilers
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Sep 05, 2013, 08:22 AM
I like Golden Age
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
235 Posts
I agree with peterlngh.

Slipping is an option, and it depends on a few factors to make it applicable. Its not a catch all but with certain models under certain condions it is an option that works.
But the first post stated that no one ever talks about it.

I know why.

Its complicated and easy to screw-up. Its a hard technique for full scale pilots to master. In fact, if you have a small plane with passengers and use a significant slip to dump altitude to hit the runway, you will pull it off but they will never fly with you again. lol.

Better to go around and try again.
ronj10 is offline Find More Posts by ronj10