SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by dmcguire
United States, MA, Raynham
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Discussion
First large(r) scale gasser thoughts?

Wanting to step up from .40/.60 size glow flying and build a 30cc plane that I can do IMAC type flying, but also try some 3-D. Trying to do this on somewhat of a "budget", so I've tried to narrow it down to a few airframes:
Skyline Edge, Skyline Extra 300LP, Goldwing Extra 260, Goldwing Sukhoi 26

Always been a sucker for the Extras and the Sukhois, but that Edge looks very nice.

Anyone have any experience with these two different manufacturers? The Skylines look to have a pretty decent hardware package and I kind of like the idea of the removable stabs. But is any of that hardware actually useable? The sizes/weights seem very comparable, though it doesn't look like any are canister ready. But is that even necessary in a 30cc setup?

I've collected most of the electronics already, so not too worried about that. Aside from the airframe and engine, I know I'll need the gasoline support equipment.

Again on the cheap, unless I can get a good deal on a DLE30, or an RCGF32, I was thinking of trying the AGM-30. Though they seem very new to the market.

If anyone has any feedback, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
dmcguire is online now Find More Posts by dmcguire
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by hawl131
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
I'm in the same boat myself, I got a Gold wing extra 260 the 26 cc size. I have assembled the plane, I have to mount the engine and servos. The basic build went good but the only problem I had was the blind nuts 2 on the gear was stripped and both wing blind nuts were compressed so bad the blots wouldn't thread at all. All were replaced. I had one of our members had a goldwing sukhoi. Nice plane and flies nice. One thing is to beef up the fire wall and run thin CA on the fuse.
hawl131 is offline Find More Posts by hawl131
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:13 AM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Thanks for the response Hawl, glad to hear that overall the airframe went together pretty well. What engine are you going with on the Extra? I've heard a few people saying the same about re-gluing the engine box area.

Would love to see pictures of the build if you have any.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
I am using a 26cc RCGF, will see how it runs, I have a back up plane JIC it doesn't run consistently, valley view rc has a 20cc and will be fine on it. I re-glued the whole airframe with thin CA and epoxed a 3/32 plywood to the fire wall to strengthen it up. I would love to take pictures but I think its bad luck for me, all of the planes I have taken of planes have crashed.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Thanks again, been seeing more and more about regluing the airframe and beefing up the firewall and landing gear on the Goldwings. Be very interested to hear how the RCGF 26 pulls the extra along. When going gas first took my fancy, that was the combo I planned on going with. Just not sure if the 26 is enough for the plane. Good luck on it and I totally hear you on the no photo thing.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
Actually the 26cc is what is on the website and Manual but it is suppose to be 8.8-10 lbs, it will be overpowered with a 26 but that's cool, I don't mind it being overpowered. You could use a DLE 20cc and it will be fine, my mentor has a seagull edge 60 that is 9.9 lbs and screams. Mind you where I live all planes have to be overpowered just because of the altitude, were at 6500'.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,653 Posts
If you want to do 3D then forget the DLE 20. I have a DLE 20 on my GW Yak and while it does IMAC it will not 3D. You will need a 30 cc motor for any of the above planes.
Any of those cheap motors will not cut it for those planes. The cheapest motor I would put on those planes is a DLE 30.
I have a DLE 30 in my GW MX. Now that is a 3D machine.
3D requires a lot of thrust vectoring. That is where the plane is controlled by the prop blast. You will need at least a1.75 to 1 thrust ratio for 3D and a 2 to 1 is better.
My MX weighs 10 lbs and the DLE 30 gives me 20 lbs of thrust., while my yak weighs 9.5 lbs and has 13 lbs of thrust. It will not waterfall and harriers are very sloppy.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; Nov 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
The plane I got is made for a 26cc maxium and a 20cc is a little small but there are very few 26cc engines out there. At least ones that I can afford. Some folks can afford expensive engines, I do all of my modeling on a shoe string budget, I have no choice and it can take months for me to get it in the air. That is why I have stuck with 40 size planes for so long.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
Thank you for the response Kerwin, that's some great info you gave.

Hawl, I'm right there with you on the tight budget thing. If I had the money I'd be going with a 3dhs and a DLE. It's not in the cards though. I'm actually now on the fence as to whether I can/should even do the 30cc airframe at all. Been seriously thinking of just going with a smaller airframe like this and try the Evolution 10gx. Hate to bail on the bigger setup, but I have all winter to decide though.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
I went with the 26cc airframe and it is huge compared to all of my aircraft. The price is comparable to a 60 size name brand. The engine is as much as a smaller 4 stroke would be. I just get annoyed when some one says I shouldn't go with the most expensive equipment just because the obviously have the spending money.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 11:54 AM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,901 Posts
I would assume that popularity has something too do with it, as the 50cc is almost the same price, but the RCG30cc, at Hobby King, would be an option, at 1 C-note less then the DLE it is cloned after, I have the 55cc, and 20cc RCG engines, and they both run pretty well.

I too am on a budget, and do not use the best of the best, just the best I can afford, and yes some times it jumps up and bites me in the %&$#, but hey its modeling!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Mar 2013
188 Posts
Ok just to recap, the 26cc FCGF is a good engine, plenty of power for my Extra 260. It flys like a dream, its still breaking in but I flew it 3 times last Sunday. I was going to put some more flights on her this weekend but the wind sucks. I'll just fire her up in the back yard to get some more time on the engine.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by mexico
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,971 Posts
Can you explain to me what thrust vector vectoring is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
If you want to do 3D then forget the DLE 20. I have a DLE 20 on my GW Yak and while it does IMAC it will not 3D. You will need a 30 cc motor for any of the above planes.
Any of those cheap motors will not cut it for those planes. The cheapest motor I would put on those planes is a DLE 30.
I have a DLE 30 in my GW MX. No that is a 3D machine.
3D requires a lot of thrust vector vectoring. You will need at least a1.75 to 1 thrust ratio for 3D and a 2 to 1 is better.
My MX weighs 10 lbs and the DLE 30 gives me 20 lbs of thrust., while my yak weighs 9.5 lbs and has 13 lbs of thrust. It will not waterfall and harriers are very sloppy.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by kerwin50
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,653 Posts
I meant thrust vectoring. It is where your surfaces control the airplane by the prop blast.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by mexico
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,971 Posts
I always thought thrust vectoring was where the engine was steerable itself. Don't the control surfaces steer the plane using thrust from the prop in all flight?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico