HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:35 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Discussion
New (well, old but new to me!) BVM FJ-3 Fury...

Looking on RCG one night I came across a BVM Fury, one of the old AFS kits but one that had been built very recently, with a new 12S VioFan, all JR 3421's, the spiked inlet (upgrade) and a scheme I am really fond of, orange and white. I talked to the guy selling it, he was only a few hours away, worked out a price and bought it right then, grea deal!

I went and picked it up the following weeked, I had seen pictures of it and they looked good, though I had some concerns about the glue joints. See when I glue something, I glue it to look like a factory joint, this comes from Rob Lynch who I watched build long before I was flying jets, it looks nicer and keeps the weight down, a win-win. The glue joints I could see in the pictures looked to be mixed with a stick and drizzled in-place, some making puddles of epoxy, not pleasing to my eye at all.

I figured I could grind the excess off and if necessary, paint the inside, no big deal and considering the condition and exterior finish, figured no big deal. So I worked on the glue for a few hours, getting rid of excess and smooting out the ridges, some thing just cou;dn't be fixed but in the end I was happy enough, you can only do so much. Then I made the mistake of touching up some of the exterior paint, with some extra paint the seller gave me and my airbrush. When I pulled off the mask, the paint came off in sheets!

I was Upset to say the least, the paint lifted off almost completely with just the mild force of the paint mask, clean as a whistle underneath! I ended up using an entire roll of tape and took off perhaps 80% of the nice scale paint, there was really no "fix it" option given how easy it came off, I felt this would just get worse if left and come off in the air once it started to peel. I am not a painter, a finish guy, I am a builder so I thought "well, this was a colosal waste of money!" and called a few fellow pilots to complain and get ideas.

At some point the next day I decided to get the rest of the paint off, scraping with fingernails to get a few stubborn spots, I was able to get all of it off, clean as new, IMO the finish wasn't prepped properly but given the builder was a painter, perhaps it was paint failure, no idea. I also decided to paint it and finish it myself, not having the cash for a custom paint job, I figured I'd start with the flat white solid color and see how it went, worste case give it to a painter at that point.

Over the next 2 days I just kept going, adding the orange nose, black deck, orange underside and then getting a set of BVM F-86/Fury scale graphics to get it back to the way it started. I talked to a friend who builds Top Gun jets and he gave me a quick lesson for panels over the phone, what the heck, how hard can it be?! So here I am, 3 days later with the fuse back to what it started with, better actually as my finish actually looks better IMO. The entire thing is clear coated and ready to be assembled, thought I'd share as I might actually be starting to LIKE scale jets and finishes!

These first pictures are from my phone, I never intended to post build photos so nothing fancy to start...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:40 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
So once I got over my disapointment and anger, I decided to start with the all white, flat base paint, killing two birds with one stone by using a flat, white primer, which worked great!

Jack
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
The white went so well (from a can, how hard could it really have been?!) I thought, I can add the orange as well, I have the masking so what the heck, get the airbrush out and give it a shot!

Jack
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
The orange went so well and the black deck is such a simple shape, I decided to paint this as well. When I was @ Home Depot gettnig the flat white primer, I grabbed a few cans of flat black from the same manufacturer thinking it couldn't hurt. So I added the black deck and started thinking, the orange underside isn't so hard. Other than a sharp curve, it's really a simple pattern... So I got out the airbrush again and went back to the garage! So now the black is on and I decide to enhance the panel lines, this is nothing more than a pencil, tape and finger as it turns out...

Jack
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:20 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
Looking good!
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
357 Posts
Nice work, looks really good. Thanks for the No. 2 pencil trick, something new to try.
Taman is offline Find More Posts by Taman
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Looks fantastic Jack!
Congrats
gregg f is online now Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:44 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,277 Posts
way to go Jack it is looking good ! i got to get my fury going again.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:57 AM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,531 Posts
Thanks guys! Honestly, I think I've tapped into a new aspect of the hobby for me, scale finishing! I am a sport ARF guy but there was really something satisfying about controlling the finish and every little detail that I enjoyed...

Jack
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:19 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
1,033 Posts
WOW Jack,
What a great job, everything looks fantastic, how about doing some of those techniques on your Victory, that would be cool

Mike
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:18 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,751 Posts
Looks nice Jack more realistic than the factory arf too.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:03 AM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,154 Posts
My favorite paint scheme on the F-86(FJ-3). I had a first hand look at those planes flying out of Pensacola training Marine and Navy pilots. There was at one time one of the FJ-3 Fury on display at the Naval Museum in Pensacola. Link to museum in Pensacola FYI:
http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/

You can do a virtual tour of the muesum
Good job on the paint Jack.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:50 AM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,846 Posts
I like it!
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman