HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2014, 01:45 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined May 2008
258 Posts
I am anxious to start my build!! LOL. I cleared a space for a workbench two nights ago, just need to move it and get all my crap together in the same room. I'm flying in a contest this weekend so that will have to wait until next week. I also have a foamy I've been eager to build (RCF Su29) so I need to think about priorities But that should only take a couple of evenings. I've had the Sbach for maybe 4mos now and this thread has completely re-inspired me to get it built.

I'm not worried about the gears because I'm flying electric. I actually went out of the way to convert metal gears to nylon in my 2m plane as nylon gear train will stay tighter longer (yeah and it saves a few g, lol). I used the 821 for a rudder servo in a similarly sized airplane to the Sbach and never had any reason to doubt it. In the Sbach, the load will be split between each elevator half, so 88 oz-in X 2 = 176 oz-in for the elevator in a 30cc airplane - no sweat. I would absolutely not use nylon if I were running gas.

I am more concerned about using the Karbonite Hitec's in the wings. Hitec told me in an email they are good for up to a 12lb airplane and I believe I will be under that, so should be OK. I wish there were alternate gears for the servos I already have.
gaRCfield is offline Find More Posts by gaRCfield
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2014, 08:42 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
I like to build light to a point. I think the slick is about 76" so it can handle a few grams here and there. I will grab the low hanging fruit on this one and see how she flies. I will extend the motor box to allow batteries to practically touch the motor so balance should be very achievable. Great info!!
There was a great thread on fg a while back on all the tiny gains. Shortening bolts to just the length needed, titanium bolt swaps, thin wall aluminum fuel lines instead of tygon.....
turboflier is offline Find More Posts by turboflier
Old May 28, 2014, 09:47 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined May 2008
258 Posts
lol, yeah, one can easily get a little OCD trying to save every gram. I don't plan on going that nuts I just want to save what I can in the tail so I don't have to add weight to the nose, and I don't want to spend a ton of extra money. I was totally psyched I had the servos, tail gear, and other stuff laying around from previous projects. So far the spinner, and the pilot, are the only things I've bought specifically for this plane. I'll try to keep the spending down but we'll see how it goes
gaRCfield is offline Find More Posts by gaRCfield