HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2006
20 Posts
Question
measure wattage draw at home w/ voltmeter?

If I've got a ready-to-fly plane with power system installed, is there a way to measure the actual wattage draw while on the ground? I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "yes" but I'm not sure exactly how to do it.

I've heard of the whattmeter but don't have one... I'm mostly literate with using a standard voltmeter... is measuring the power draw as simple as hooking up the battery and measuring the voltage drop and amp draw across the two battery terminals?

Maybe asked another way is "if all I have is a flight-ready airplane and a voltmeter, how do I make this happen?"
ljwobker is offline Find More Posts by ljwobker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:01 PM
-plancks only-
Pays Bas
Joined Oct 2001
1,077 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=shunt

Regards,

Franck
Franck is online now Find More Posts by Franck
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:23 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,346 Posts
To measure watts you need to measure current AND voltage at the same time. This takes either a wattmeter or TWO voltmeters.

But I guess you really want to measure the current draw in which case the shunt and a voltmeter that reads down to millivolts will do it.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2005
659 Posts
here's my "watt meter"...the ammeter is 1A full scale but with a shunt
it can measure either 10 A max (shunt is 14 inches of 18awg copper
wire) or 20 A max (shunt of 28 inches of 18awg copper wire) - see
pic of backside. I've used the multimeter to verify the new scales. The
voltmeter is 0-15 V. Don't forget the fuse !

Total cost: about 25 bucks if you buy all you see in the picks.

Peter
peterp1964 is offline Find More Posts by peterp1964