HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2004, 09:28 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
6 Foot Long P.T. Boat

Hello all!
Here's the deal. About 20 years ago I built a P.T. Boat from scratch on a dare. Also I was having a problem with a certain harbormaster and was going to take him out from a distance with this thing. Ahh, the dreams of youth!
I designed it to be powered with a chainsaw engine thru a homemade gearbox driving twin screws. The drive is built and installed but I could never get the chainsaw engine to start.
Fast forward to now. I have finally taught myself to fly R/C electric aircraft and enjoy the heck out of this sport! It suddenly dawned on me that with the advances in electric motors and batteries I could get close to the performance I was expecting from the chainsaw engine in the P.T. Boat.
I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the engine and gearbox and going to twin electric motors and twin batteries. I would like to have independent
motor control but am not sure how that would work out TX/RX wise.
I figure a top speed of 30 m.p.h. in up to 1 foot seas was possible with the chansaw engine. With the reduced weight of the electric drives I would not project more than 20 m.p.h. under similar conditions.
I am asking the experts: what do you guys think?? I can give better spec's once I drag the beast out of storage and take some digital pictures. Am I out of my mind? Should I have my dosage adjusted??
Thanks in advance!
Jim
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:19 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
First reply from a non expert I'd say it was doable unless it was over-engineered for the original gas engine. You'd maybe want to look at some of the industrial electric motors avalable, e.g. de Walt. I don't think for the sort of use you have in mind nickel based batteries have a lot to offer that lead acid batteries can't supply more cheaply and simply.
Of course you could also think of the mag motors used for battlebots or big Hacker or Lehner or even some of the bigger outrunners and loads of paralleled LiPo packs.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:31 PM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
I like the chainsaw engine and gearbox. You can't beat the exhaust sound and smell of that burned fuel. Instead of recharging batteries you just have to fill er up with gas and go.
iamplanecrazy2 is offline Find More Posts by iamplanecrazy2
Old Nov 05, 2004, 08:11 AM
Milford, Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2003
75 Posts
I'd guess maybe a coupla automotive electric radiator fan motors, or heater fan motors ought to do the trick.
MikDee is offline Find More Posts by MikDee