HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:22 AM
stepping up to aerial ;)
Joined Mar 2013
30 Posts
Help!
HELP ME! VulcanUAV (SkyHook Octo 1200mm) + MultWii Witespyquad MultiWii PRO Ez3.0 FC

hi guys, after several weeks going crazy with my Hubsan X4, i decided to build a more serious Octo.

My Setup:
  1. Turnigy 9x Mode 2 + Rx (later to be mod with FrSky telemetry Tx/Rx)
  2. MultWii Witespyquad MultiWii PRO Ez3.0 FC (i have KK2.0 board and MultiWii PRO 2.0 Flight Controller w/ GPS Option as well).
  3. T-Motor MT2814 710Kv
  4. HobbyWing FlyFun 40A ESC OPTO
  5. 12*45 Carbon Fiber Props
  6. Turnigy Nano-tech 5000mAH 4S 35-70C

here it is (still under construction)

now my problems starts when i tried to connect all motors to MultiWii Ez3.0...

i think i got the connection right from the motors to FC by following this diagram:

but there is 1 pin leftover after i connect all the motors, it should be only 3 pins slot free, but i got 4.. check this:

and then i connect the FC to Rx like this:

*sorry, i meant to say "HobbyWing", not "HobbyKing".

then i PLUG THE BATTERY in... all motors beep...
then i turn on my Tx... Rx light is ON...

then i tried to push the throttle... nothing happened...
i just think that probably it's a matter of ARMING the motors, so i tried to ARM/DISARM the motor with this:

but still.. NOTHING happened... all motors keep beeping....

where did i do wrong???

PS: i'm a noob, any help is very much appreciated..
wayne3000 is offline Find More Posts by wayne3000
Last edited by wayne3000; Jul 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
stepping up to aerial ;)
Joined Mar 2013
30 Posts
anyone?...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:32 AM
stepping up to aerial ;)
Joined Mar 2013
30 Posts
anyone who wants to help..?
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:02 PM
Joined Jun 2013
26 Posts
Have you tried the MultiWiiConf?
mgrider is offline Find More Posts by mgrider
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Maybe post this is Multirotor talk. Not so much traffic here.
bluuberries is offline Find More Posts by bluuberries
Old Sep 09, 2013, 05:18 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Or post this question in the multiwii thread in multirotor electronics.
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Jun 2013
421 Posts
I have found with some of the multi wii boards you need to adjust the yaw trim all the way to one end of the range for arming
panaceabeachbum is offline Find More Posts by panaceabeachbum
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2005
255 Posts
You may need to LOWER your motor start up MS down to 900 with the multiwii config program and flash the memory with that value.
Make sure you don't have any props on that thing when your doing this stuff!!!

Breezer1
Breezer1 is offline Find More Posts by Breezer1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,091 Posts
You might be doing too much at one time.

With any multiwii you should be able to connect the FC to a receiver and put 5v into the receiver and see the boards gyro movements in the MultiWii config GUI with the transmitter on. You should also be able to set your TX end points to the correct positions using the GUI.

After that is done, then you can calibrate your ESCs and add them to the build along with the motors. You should only have to add one ESC and one motor to confirm if the thing is arming.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2005
255 Posts
I recently had an issue where I saw all six of my motors arm and respond in the GUI multiwii configurator program just fine, however, the speed controllers would not arm and the motors would not start. The reason was that the pulse rate (default 1130Ms) was too high for the speed controllers to arm. All they did was sit there and beep four times per second! Using the travel adjustment and the sub trim in the transmitter did no good either. I had to LOWER THE PULSE RATE IN THE MULTIWII CONFIGURATION PROGRAM to 900Ms and flash the memory at the end. Once I did that, everything worked as it should.

Good luck!

Breezer1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,091 Posts
Breezer1- Good info. Can you give some more details on what #define you changed to lower the pulse rate?

What ESC's were you using?
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2005
255 Posts
Its in the front part of the Configurator setup under motors and escs I think. You have to click on the tab and then pick the drop down and the lowest number which is 900ms. I am using the Next Level 30a controllers for Innov8tive Designs but have since sent them all back to have them re-flashed to the new SimonK firmware.
What alerted me was that when I converted my Next Level Quad 650 to a Hex, I ordered two more motors and ESCs. The new ESCs came with the SimonK firmware. The new ones started right up with the MS set at 1130 (default of the configurator program) but the older ESCs would not start/arm. I went crazy trying to lower the MS rate in the transmitter with the travel adjustment and sub trim UNTIL I figured it out and told my Quadrino through the Configurator to use 900ms as the start point. Then all was well, all the motors started! Then, Lucien Miller from Innov8tive Designs told me not to fly the ESCs unless they were all the same because the SimonK ESCs were much quicker to respond and would make the aircraft appear to be unstable and induce oscillations into the gyro system of the Quadrino and drive me even more nuts than I already am.
That was good advice and most likely saved me a crash on first flight.
I have them all back now and am continuing with my build.
I'll let you know how it works out

Breezer1
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:11 AM
stepping up to aerial ;)
Joined Mar 2013
30 Posts
sorry double post
Last edited by wayne3000; Apr 11, 2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: sorry double post
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:21 AM
stepping up to aerial ;)
Joined Mar 2013
30 Posts
whoa.. it's been several months already.. i totally left my octo sitting in dust...

the good news is that i finally got the octo to spin the motors correctly, i already calibrated the maxthrottle and minthrottle values in the Rx and the FC.

all motors start at the same time as i hit throttle up.

but another problem arised... the octo always flipped when taking off. it broke 1 of my carbon props...

i am still trying get this baby up in the air...

as you can see (i've got plenty of videos similar as this one), the FC doesnt "balance" the octo upon lift off... btw, i already calibrated the sensor with the multiwiiconf, all is ok. i can see the octo roll/pitch/yaw movement in the multiwiiconf.
vulcanUAV + Multiwii PRO Ez3.0 (takeoff flip and flip again) (1 min 7 sec)

Last attempt, i try to "manually" balance the octo with my right stick (roll/pitch). the throttle stick went full throttle but still the octo sits on the ground.
test flight vulcanUAV + Multiwii PRO Ez3 (last attempt) (1 min 14 sec)

PS: Mr.Moderator, can you please move my thread to more appropriate section as mentioned above, to get more view and more people to help? much appreciated for your kind attention.
Last edited by wayne3000; Apr 11, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:51 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
994 Posts
Maybe check to see if you have your props on correctly?
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad