HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
937 Posts
Question
Splicing wires onto receiver antenna...

I accidentally cut the forward antenna on my Parkzone AR600x receiver about 1 inch from the unit. The cut part of the antenna was lost and I'm now hesitant to use the receiver because it lacks full antenna.

I know I can buy a replacement receiver, but I was thinking I could save myself some money by splicing a small wire to the remaining antenna of my receiver unit. Has anyone done this? Did it work OK?

Thoughts/suggestions/warnings?
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,381 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...=cut%20antenna
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2013
937 Posts
Thanks. I searched, but didn't see this. I must have searched the wrong forum or group.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:35 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,381 Posts
click "Aircraft - Electric Airplanes" to take you to the main forum and then click "Search" from there. if you search from one of the sub-forums such as "Beginner Training Area", "Parkflyers", etc., you won't maximize your search results and likely miss some useful ones. that may help.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,832 Posts
You can solder a piece of small guage wire onto the end to equal the original total length. Doesn't need to be exactly the same length but close.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:45 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,087 Posts
This antenna is a coax and requires special assembly techniques. You CAN NOT just solder an extension to it and expect it to work properly. Unless you are familiar with how a coax works and what part of it is the actual antenna you will be disappointed in your attempted repair. If you can get to just the center conductor, then you could theoretically just solder the proper length (1/4 wavelength) to the center conductor where it exits the outer sleeve. This will be about 28.8 mm in length.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:10 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,624 Posts
I would just send it to HH, they should take care of you.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
667 Posts
I read the same about the HZ supercub rx aerial that they are coax wires, However when I found the vertical stubby one lying in the battery tray one day I just soldered it back on the board and it performs as great as usual.
When I skinned the end there was no sign of it being a coax wire
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old May 01, 2013, 12:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe View Post
I read the same about the HZ supercub rx aerial that they are coax wires, However when I found the vertical stubby one lying in the battery tray one day I just soldered it back on the board and it performs as great as usual.
When I skinned the end there was no sign of it being a coax wire
The short lead might not be coax, the longer one (on RXs that have a long one) will be coax (except for the last bit where the outer shielding is missing).

The RX will probably work just fine with only one antenna, if you want to risk it (if something blocks that antenna you are stuffed though).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old May 01, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2013
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
I would just send it to HH, they should take care of you.
They'll help, even if I don't have the receipt and this wasn't a manufacturing fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
The RX will probably work just fine with only one antenna, if you want to risk it (if something blocks that antenna you are stuffed though).
I soldered some additional wire to the short (cut) wire. I think I'll be fine. Yeah, it's a bit risky, but I'm not usually flying my plane more than 100 yards from me. I'll send it back to HH if they'll let me.
Old May 01, 2013, 08:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko View Post
They'll help, even if I don't have the receipt and this wasn't a manufacturing fault?

I soldered some additional wire to the short (cut) wire. I think I'll be fine. Yeah, it's a bit risky, but I'm not usually flying my plane more than 100 yards from me. I'll send it back to HH if they'll let me.
That's whats great about dealing with a real company like horizon hobby. They want you to be happy. Since there are cheaper options out there, their future depends on happy customers. If you have something they made that's broken, as long as it wasn't broken due to gross negligence on your part, they will do what they can to make you happy...

what makes more sense:
#1, have a tech spend a few min to solder a new antenna on a guys RX and send it back, costing them a few bucks, but making a VERY happy customer thats going to tell his friends about this great company...
OR,
#2. say "sorry, not our problem", possibly making for an unhappy customer, who is then going to tell his friends about the company that wouldn't even help him out when he accidentally cut his antenna off....

Im not saying you should try to take advantage of them, but the one time I ever had a problem with a spektrum product, it was out of warranty and I didnt have a recipt, but they told me send it in and they sent me a new one a few days later, which definatly helped cement my decision to stick with spektrum and recomend it to my friends....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 06, 2013, 04:10 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
Send it to horizion. The 600 uses a coaxial extension wire (the actual antenna is only 29mm long at the very end of the coaxial portion) if you cut the wire and attempted to solder something on you will have soldered it to the coaxial portion and get near zero range.

Horizon will take care of you. send it in.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 07, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Apr 2013
937 Posts
Here's the official response I got back:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the antenna needs to be a very specific length and material, From your description, we feel that the best solution is to send the unit in for service and repair. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. If you would like to send your product in for repair, please visit our online repair request form:
http://servicecenter.horizonhobby.com
It'll cost me shipping (both there & back), but at least I won't risk crashing my plane due to bad signal.