Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
Question
How to install hinges ? ?

Hello,

I have a rather old sailplane that I am bringing back to life.. My issue is with the wings.. They are obeechi over foam and currently have tape hinges which I don't care for and which have gotten really ugly and sloppy. Has anyone successfully converted from tape to 'real' hinges for the flaps and ailerons? If so, could you please share how you did that ? many thanks..

Paul
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
What, Me Worry?
edbu1's Avatar
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
231 Posts
I've not had this situation, but I'll take a stab at a solution. I'm guessing you should fit an oversized medium to hard balsa block in to the foam core. By oversize, I mean bigger than the hinges. I would try to size it so that when you epoxy it into the foam, at least one surface (upper or lower) will epoxy to the obeechi skin. Best for both to contact the skin. Then you can cut a typical slit (or drill a hole like for Robart hinge points)into the balsa wood block to glue the hinge to.
edbu1 is online now Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
20+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Hello,

I have a rather old sailplane that I am bringing back to life.. My issue is with the wings.. They are obeechi over foam and currently have tape hinges which I don't care for and which have gotten really ugly and sloppy. Has anyone successfully converted from tape to 'real' hinges for the flaps and ailerons? If so, could you please share how you did that ? many thanks..

Paul
I'm using the old school toothpick method on a build I'm doing right now.

In your case, you'd cut a slice into the foam at the hinge line, insert a real hinge (like a Dubro) and then drill a hole from the top of the aileron and wing, down through the hinge and out the bottom. Then you'd epoxy in a toothpick or stronger dowel through the hole. Sand smooth and recover over the hole and you're done. That puppy isn't going anywhere after that!

Like so...
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
re: the old school toothpick method

OK, that seems like something I can do.. The flaps and ailerons are about 18 inches long each, so do you think that 3 would suffice for each surface ?
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:02 PM
20+ years of RC flying
BigIron357's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
re: the old school toothpick method

OK, that seems like something I can do.. The flaps and ailerons are about 18 inches long each, so do you think that 3 would suffice for each surface ?
I'd go for at least 4 on each, depending on total area of the control surfaces. If it's a large, heavy plane with significant control surface area, an extra hinge might be a good idea.

On my build, the ailerons are 8.5 inches long and I'm using 2 hinges for each, plus the torque rod. And that's a lightweight parkflyer.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:50 PM
The Prez....... again
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with tape hinges. I would investigate removing the old ones and putting some new ones on. Some of the glider guys are using "Blemderm". I think that is the right name or at least it's close. It's a medical tape and I guess it is VERY good for hinges.

Might be worth a look see. Poke around in the sailplane area. I'll bet somebody there can give excellent advice for you.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:50 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
That's what was on there already and it looked like cr@p.. But it is very good tape, really sticky, but doesn't give the plane that 'polished' look..

I just finished painting the wings, ailerons, flaps and horizontal stab with primer this evening and will put a nice enamel on them. So, the tape hinges would kinda look out of place..After all is dried, the concealed hinges will round it out..
Patchitagain is online now Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Last edited by Patchitagain; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:22 PM
Registered User
Tick Point's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
517 Posts
On fiberglass planes, I use E6000. I don't know how well it sticks to wood
1. put blue tape on the top surface with 1/16" gap between flap and sub TE
2. flip over the wing and open up the flap to expose the 1/16" slit of the sticky side of tape,
3. use a syringe (w/o the sharp tip) and run a bead of E6000 along the hinge
4 brush the bead down to a very thin layer on the tape and a bit on the flap and the sub TE's
5. Wait 2 days to remove the tape (in a hurry, fly with the tape on.)

it leaves a durable hinge that's flush and tight.

maybe this isn't the real hinge you're looking for, but one I like.
Dave
Tick Point is offline Find More Posts by Tick Point
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:33 AM
Keep it Simple Stupid
razortoe's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Point View Post
On fiberglass planes, I use E6000. I don't know how well it sticks to wood
1. put blue tape on the top surface with 1/16" gap between flap and sub TE
2. flip over the wing and open up the flap to expose the 1/16" slit of the sticky side of tape,
3. use a syringe (w/o the sharp tip) and run a bead of E6000 along the hinge
4 brush the bead down to a very thin layer on the tape and a bit on the flap and the sub TE's
5. Wait 2 days to remove the tape (in a hurry, fly with the tape on.)

it leaves a durable hinge that's flush and tight.

maybe this isn't the real hinge you're looking for, but one I like.
Dave
This is a silicone-based adhesive, no? How well does it fare with so much sun exposure on an upper surface?

I've used a similar adhesive (Goop) for other applications, and noticed within several months it yellowed, and got quite a bit more rigid. Maybe E6000 is different (I've not used it yet), so thought I'd ask.
razortoe is offline Find More Posts by razortoe
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:14 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
600 Posts
I've used Moore Crystal Clear for tape hinges on sailplane wings for years. First I attach the surface to the wing using the "Z" hinge method. Usually I double the "Z" in three places and try to have one set where the control horn is. Then I apply one linear strip of tape on the top and one on the bottom. This has proven to be durable and almost invisible. An added benefit is the surfaces are sealed.

Mark
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Last edited by Soarmark; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Bad spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:57 PM
Registered User
Tick Point's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
517 Posts
E6000 doesn't say what it is, but recommends painting it if exposed to the sun or buy UV-6800.

I've always spraypainted over the E6000 hinge and find they're still good, two years later....and counting.

The trick in the application is spreading it thin..under 1/32".
Tick Point is offline Find More Posts by Tick Point
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:18 AM
Red Merle ALES
Curtis Suter's Avatar
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,440 Posts
Irregardless of how you decide to make the hinges you need to seal the gap so air isn't allowed to flow from one side of the wing to the other at the hingeline. That's a huge amount of drag.

I know lots of folks like the Blenderm but I didn't care for it.
I do like and use this:
http://www.toolking.com/3m-600-3-4-i...FQfhQgodNH0A8A

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:41 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razortoe View Post
I've used a similar adhesive (Goop) for other applications, and noticed within several months it yellowed, and got quite a bit more rigid. Maybe E6000 is different (I've not used it yet), so thought I'd ask.
To add a reference here; E6000 isn't "like" Goop, it IS Goop.

Both products are made by the same company and are the same thing, just packaged differently and marketed differently for different outlets. Goes for "Shoe Goo" as well. Same company, same thing, different design of the tube it comes in.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:53 PM
Registered User
Tick Point's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
517 Posts
E6000 = Shoe Goo = Goop !

Thanks Treeline, those names are thrown around and I didn't know they're the same.

Next terms I need to straighten out are related to fiberglass;
chopped strand, tow, spoog or sploog, cabosil, microballoons...
They're all part of making fillets and I don't know they're strengths.
I should look for another thread for this. How bout a new thread just on fillers and bonders?
Tick Point is offline Find More Posts by Tick Point
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:46 AM
The Prez....... again
kenh3497's Avatar
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Point View Post
Thanks Treeline, those names are thrown around and I didn't know they're the same.

Next terms I need to straighten out are related to fiberglass;
chopped strand, tow, spoog or sploog, cabosil, microballoons...
They're all part of making fillets and I don't know they're strengths.
I should look for another thread for this. How bout a new thread just on fillers and bonders?
This forum would be a good start, Composites and Fabrication http://www.rcgroups.com/composites-fabrication-210/
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HT08 Hinged? BavarianCharles Hand Launch 8 Jan 18, 2013 09:36 AM
Discussion How do i install ailerons? DonaldM164 Electric Plane Talk 15 Jan 14, 2013 12:10 PM
Discussion how to install CA hinges FlyValue The Builders Workshop 8 Apr 20, 2012 06:22 PM
Discussion How do you install CA hinges? flyingace451 3D Flying 14 Dec 17, 2006 05:48 PM
How to install torque rod for top-hinged aileron made of solid balsa dimple The Builders Workshop 2 Sep 10, 2003 08:19 AM