HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:05 AM
United States, NJ, Raritan
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Question
Moving to Composites

Hi all,

So I'm looking to make the change from foamies to composites/glass EDFs. Looking for some advice on what to look out for, to avoid costly mistakes.

First I want to provide some details on my experience and current fleet.

I have been flying for over 2 years now, started off on a foam 55" Cessna trainer and lots of flight time on 47" Piper Cub. Progressed to Helis- Align 250, 500, 600.
My experience with EDF thus far has been a few months flying a Phase 3 F-16 70mm, and a Mini F22 50mm with a Don's wicked/wemo mod (this is a ton of fun to fly) and a Freewing SU-35 with TV. Everything is still in once piece. I fly my EDFs with confidence, ease, and perform all my own hand-launches.

I'm starting to get a little bored with the foamies and want to move into composites and glass planes. I want to fly something with some mass! I fly at a grass field and prefer to fly with gear rather than bungees (I already have enough stuff to bring to the field).

I'm interested in a winter project so I have been looking into a few kits such as the HET Super Sniper and the Habu 32. I am looking for some suggestions for other kits as well. I would like to fly 90mm running 6S(I have a ton of 6S for all my helis. I'm not looking to break any speed records yet, but want something that is stable and wont have my butt clenched the whole time. Any advice that would help me with this transition is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Anthony
ant2004sti is offline Find More Posts by ant2004sti
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:03 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
Don't know much about the 90mm sized jets out there but look around on RCG, should be a thread on just about every bird available.

6s is on the bottom rung for 90mm power. You could add a (like) 2s pack to the mix and get your power up to 8s. Which you will want trying to take off from grass.

Good luck, welcome to RCG.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,283 Posts
the 32 is a good choice. its flies like a bigger bird. 6s is fine, however, id recommend a slightly higher kv motor for more thrust. all in all its a nice 80mm bird.

the het is ok. prob a bit less wing loading then the 32 but lacks quality IMO and everyone knows theyve had design flaws for years.

if i had to choose between the two, id go with the 32. ive had both jets at one time and the 32 is fun to fly. the biggest thing your gonna notice is you need toactually fly these birds liek a jet. they dont float around like a foamy! composites are not forgiving.
stoneenforcer is online now Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:18 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant2004sti View Post
Hi all,

So I'm looking to make the change from foamies to composites/glass EDFs. Looking for some advice on what to look out for, to avoid costly mistakes.

First I want to provide some details on my experience and current fleet.

I have been flying for over 2 years now, started off on a foam 55" Cessna trainer and lots of flight time on 47" Piper Cub. Progressed to Helis- Align 250, 500, 600.
My experience with EDF thus far has been a few months flying a Phase 3 F-16 70mm, and a Mini F22 50mm with a Don's wicked/wemo mod (this is a ton of fun to fly) and a Freewing SU-35 with TV. Everything is still in once piece. I fly my PDFs with confidence, ease, and perform all my own hand-launches.

I'm starting to get a little bored with the foam and want to move into composites and glass planes. I want to fly something with some mass! I fly at a grass field and prefer to fly with gear rather than bungees (I already have enough stuff to bring to the field).

I'm interested in a winter project so I have been looking into a few kits such as the HET Super Sniper and the Habu 32. I am looking for some suggestions for other kits as well. I would like to fly 90mm running 6S(I have a ton of 6S for all my helis. I'm not looking to break any speed records yet, but want something that is stable and wont have my butt clenched the whole time. Any advice that would help me with this transition is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Anthony
Freewing SU-35 BORRING? I guess I could see that!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
A nice first composite edf is the cmpro T45 from nitroplanes , check out herbs blog, I followed his build as it was my first composite and it's a great bird .A big plus is when nitroplanes has it for sale for only a 145 dollars
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Hi

I would look for bargains in the classified ads section for the transition stage in learning to fly composite models.

Stay away from the more expensive 90mm type (air frames only ) models that are similar in size and construction. The only really different is price . The T-45 is a perfect example, the white one goes on sale for $145 or less (Nitroplanes) at times while other are asking much more for the same model. Also, the same T-45 is put out in British flag colors and sold at a higher price.

On the hardware, research what works and is reliable, for the price.

Always compare. The Net makes it very easy.

You may notice I consider price. The savings add up, either in your bank account or some one else's.
Have fun.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1 View Post
A nice first composite edf is the cmpro T45 from nitroplanes , check out herbs blog, I followed his build as it was my first composite and it's a great bird .A big plus is when nitroplanes has it for sale for only a 145 dollars
Beat me to it by 8min.

Good advise.

Steve
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,426 Posts
I'm in same situation as you, but maybe a month or two ahead.

I too started with foamy EDFs - Habu (3 of them), Meteor, various SkyAngel 50mm and Freewing 64mm jets and more recently the bigger 90mm jets - Freewing F18 and Exceed F86.

This week, I built a Evader and 95% finished a Phazer. Over the next month I will move onto various fiberglass jets I bought - CMP T45, SAPAC ViperJet, SAPAC T45.

A few things I've noticed:

1) Foamy ARF building skills are not sufficient for building composites. Since you've built your Phase 3 you're probably most of the way there. Also, instructions for some of these cheapo kits are a joke. That's why I'm tempted to just build a Habu 32 for the experience.

2) Retracts are a b*tch. Installing them, using them, reliability, etc.

3) Power systems for 80-90mm jets are whole another level of complexity and cost over 4s 70mm. High voltage ESCs, BECs or RX packs, lipos, etc. Also factor in more expensive servos and receivers.

4) High-wing load requires advanced piloting skills. There are many bad parkflying habits I am trying to remove. No longer can I cut power, float, aileron twitch (use rudder!), and glide to any spot I want. I'd tipstall and cartwheel a composite jet that way.

FYI I bought my CMP T45 from scaleflying.com for $115 (DoD) + shipping = $150 to my door. Nitroplanes also sells it - just a different colour scheme.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
I just want to thank everyone in advance to taking the time to post some advice. I will be checking out the T-45 later today. As far as electronics go, my heli experience will come in handy, talk ESCs, BECs, gyros they can be a massive pain to configure (plus they always need adjustments). Do the larger motors ever need any maintanience?

What are the advantages of flying composites over foam?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
First composite, habu 32 hands down! It has the best balance of power to flight time and you can use your 6s packs.

Read thru the 32 build thread and it will give you lots of details

No BEC's run a small rx pack.

Composite will have way less hangar rash, look nicer IMO, they seem to track much better than foam and can take higher G's when running a heavier high powered setup.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
On the retracts. I am using nothing but electric. Reliable, simple, light, durable, easy to install, plug into receiver and your done.

Nitroplanes, around $9.00 to $11.00 each.

I have
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I to use nothing but electric retracts but I swear by the eflight ones , Ditto on using a flight pack to power all the servos.
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Thanks everyone, looks like I will be trying my luck with a habu32 kit I will post some pics and updates let you know how everything is coming along