HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:53 AM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
@Bob6831 have you ever though of building one from scratch?

i am currently flying the wot-next (found in scratch built foamies) dead easy to build, and once your used to it, you can up the rates and have a wild card of a plane. really capable of some serious acrobatics.

it could be just a stepping stone to build some confidence back (i dont meen to be rude, but with your recent happenings, it seems as though its hit your confidence harder than your planes)

this way, it really does not matter if she breaks, (i crashed mine friday, and im back flying with a new fuse saturday) i too would love to fly some of the big birds, and i will one day, but it is just one of those things you have to take one step at a time.

as for repairs of planes, things like gorrila glue (foam safe glue) hot glue, Epoxy resin, all work wonders, and in small doses too. the tail section could be repaired easily with a dap of gorrilla glue, and being clamped in place. it would be a strong as ever.

i never tape repairs, as the tape itself is not that strong, and can really add weight, leading to more problems to what is an alrady fine line. any hew.

best of luck.

tony
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Thx Tony.
I don't have the interest 'right now' in building planes.... my wife would kill me if I started spending time doing that! Her To Do list for me is still quite long. But, I do have the burning desire to at least fly a plane right now.
I have thought about it and as I learn more on what it involves and the equipment needed to build/modify a plane, I know I will get into that.
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
527 Posts
it costs about 15 for 4 sheets of depron, add another 20 - 30 for ancilleries like rods etc, rob some of the gear from your other planes, and you off.

i bought a P51 as my intorduction as it was cheap, and what a mistake i made.... i build the blu baby as my first scratch built and my god, what a success

if i bought the P51 now, i know i could fly it. if you do need to buy another plane, may i recommend the super cub, it is a well proven play ground for all skill levels.

either that, or go through what you have, and pick the slowest, most high winged plane you have. repairs to foam can always be achieved with some hot glue (dabbed in places) or gorrila glue (you need to pin/clamp in place while it sets) and you will have a fix line stronger than the origional foam itself
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:30 PM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcAirplaneNoob View Post
my t28 cuts right through the wind. and the UM t28 is also great as well
I've only 15-flights so far with my T-28 but two times after arriving at the field I didn't fly because I wasn't sure how it would do in the wind. Guess my confidence kept me grounded those 2 times.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
I fly my PZ T-28 Trojan in 10-12 mph winds all the time. The plane is very stable in the wind and slices through it just fine. Don't let a little bit of wind ground your Trojan.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,454 Posts
The problem isn't so much the wind. It's the turbulence. If you have a steady wind, yes you can fly in that. The airplane doesn't care, but you have to take some steps to keep it within the bounds of the flying field.

But when you have bad turbulence, then it can be a real wild ride.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Nitroplanes has an Airfield T-28 RTF on sale for $129. Is this good? (price and manufacturer).
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
The planes themselves require that you go over them and make sure that all surfaces and hardware work right and are installed correctly. The only problem is with parts and customer support. NitroPlanes always seems to be out of stock on a lot of parts or they are back ordered. Parkzone planes on the other hand have excellent parts AND customer support. If I break something on one of my Parkzone planes, I am almost always guaranteed that my LHS will have the part in stock.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob6831 View Post
Nitroplanes has an Airfield T-28 RTF on sale for $129. Is this good? (price and manufacturer).
A guy at my field has the larger Airfield T-28. Beautiful plane but you need some experience to fly it. I imagine the smaller 800mm is similar.

It's good that you can fly your Champ, but you need some aileron experience first.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The planes themselves require that you go over them and make sure that all surfaces and hardware work right and are installed correctly. The only problem is with parts and customer support. NitroPlanes always seems to be out of stock on a lot of parts or they are back ordered. Parkzone planes on the other hand have excellent parts AND customer support. If I break something on one of my Parkzone planes, I am almost always guaranteed that my LHS will have the part in stock.
I can second that about LHS parts and customer service.

And though I can't speak about NitroPlanes.com, I can speak about having chose a few not really knock-off brand heli's but for sure lesser quality heli's, from some banana company on the internet and let's just say I pretty much wasted $275. And I'll add that was when I was a real NOOB. Visit a good LHS and I promise you'll be better off...I was.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
The 800mm planes are not the same thing as the larger ones. I have 2 flying buddies that have this plane, the FMS/Airfield T-28 Trojan from NitroPlanes and both are experienced pilots; neither one can get the 800mm Trojans to fly worth a damn.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The 800mm planes are not the same thing as the larger ones. I have 2 flying buddies that have this plane, the FMS/Airfield T-28 Trojan from NitroPlanes and both are experienced pilots; neither one can get the 800mm Trojans to fly worth a damn.

But the moment you post a statement like that on this forum, no matter how true it is...I guarantee you'll get a couple of people claiming theirs flies great so that it must be something wrong with you.
People seem to like doing that here for some reason.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
229 Posts
Mine flies great, there must be something wrong with you.

EDIT: I'm kidding. But only about the part about you.

EDIT2: Personally, I'd be more concerned with how well the Airfield flies using the TX that comes with it. But they have supporting videos using RTF TX's so I gotta believe the thing can fly well. I actually like that Nitro model but I'd have to swap in a Spectrum-RX, so that puts me back to square one with cost.
Last edited by vg33; Dec 06, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
This guy does fair reviews like I do. I trust whatever he has to say. If there are problems with the model, it's probably more often due to defects, than some failure of the design itself.

NitroPlanes' BIG Air Field T-28 Trojan w Electric Retracts & HD onboard Camera (10 min 0 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
229 Posts
That the CrashProof guy? Oops, I don't think it was. Never mind, I'm a moron.