Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:19 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
In this video i posted a few pages back, i'm flying some $10 fg/cf hk blades. Im not stick banging 3D yet, but the cheap blades are good enough for me to practice with.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=116

i've got some 3D pro cf blades on stand by, they are also very affordable but stiffer than the fg mixed.

When the time comes i'll invest in some edge fbl blades, if only to test if the difference in performance is worth it.
Pro 3D makes those FRP blades too. The CF ones are pretty good. I use them on my 450 because they make a 335mm version. I like them. The are stiff so the flips are faster and the pitch pumps harder. The edge blades are very good, there is no doubt. But i'm skeptical if a guy like me or yourself would honestly feel the difference until doing harder stick slapping type stuff.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:37 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Well it wasn't my helicopter at the sorting office, it was Phoenix flight sim, and MM sight seems to be down so I can't get tracking details

*Sorted at last lol paid over the phone (additional 18.81) - being delivered tomorrow
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:58 AM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Quote:
For those interested in my new project, i'll post this here and now sence were on the topic of 500 helis.

Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24878

I've been buying things here and there that was going to be used in the 500 i have now, but for $105 i could build another 500 so why not.

This is what i have waiting around, and what will be installed in the new frame.

Cc bec pro
scorpion 3226-1600kv motor
cc ice 75 esc
turnigy 930mg cyclic servos (very good for cheap)
savox 1357 tail servo (only because of the orange that will match the color of the canopy and the beastX)
TracX fbl head
Coco's custom battery tray (he no longer makes these, and he forgot to sign the new one he sent me)
Align slant main gear 132t (that reminds me, i still need to order the 12t slant pinion)
beastX 3.08
walkera 2801pro rx

I also have an align swash and tail grips incase the hk stuff it not up to snuff.

I orderd 2 metal rx trays and a metal base plate along with the kit. One tray for the rx and the other i will install over the tail case for the beastX. That will keep it away from tail vibes, and make maintainence and repair easier.

It should be a quick build, but i will have to go through every bolt and nut to check hk quality control.
Think I'm going to go with a 500 build. So I'm very interested in your project. Thanks for the post... I would be interested in pics when your done with this build. And also deminsions of Coco's custom battery tray, since he no longer makes them I may have to set up shop and build it myself. And you mentioned the cyclic servos (930mg) Would the Hitec 5055mg be ok as cyclics ?
Thanks Again......Clear Prop.
P.S. In keeping with this thread I will be utilizing the 2801pro rx/tx for my build (and a beastx if I can swing it)
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Last edited by segdohbird; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:17 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
All this banter about which brand is better has me not just excited about putting together a blinged out 500, but also excited to put together a good affordable 500. The hk helis and turnigy electronics also take alot of 'bashing' due to questionable quality control. So, i'll not only post my report about the new 500 project, and i post about the reverting back to 'cheap' 500. Alot of guys at the field are now turning to hobbyking and turnigy products to get their projects built on a budget. (its nice that hk allows us to mark down the invoice for customs).

When building my first 500, i got alot of help from the hk500gt build thread here on rcgroups. Its a fast moveing thread with lots of great contributers.
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:22 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segdohbird View Post
Think I'm going to go with a 500 build. So I'm very interested in your project. Thanks for the post... I would be interested in pics when your done with this build. And also deminsions of Coco's custom battery tray, since he no longer makes them I may have to set up shop and build it myself. And you mentioned the cyclic servos (930mg) Would the Hitec 5055mg be ok as cyclics ?
Thanks Again......Clear Prop.
P.S. In keeping with this thread I will be utilizing the 2801pro rx/tx for my build (and a beastx if I can swing it)
oh nooo, the 500 uses mini sized servos. The 5055s are micro. A turnigy 930mg is actually less expensive that the 5055s. And i would recomend picking up 1 or 2 extras, just incase you get a bad one like i did.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
All this banter about which brand is better has me not just excited about putting together a blinged out 500, but also excited to put together a good affordable 500. The hk helis and turnigy electronics also take alot of 'bashing' due to questionable quality control. So, i'll not only post my report about the new 500 project, and i post about the reverting back to 'cheap' 500. Alot of guys at the field are now turning to hobbyking and turnigy products to get their projects built on a budget. (its nice that hk allows us to mark down the invoice for customs).

When building my first 500, i got alot of help from the hk500gt build thread here on rcgroups. Its a fast moveing thread with lots of great contributers.

Honestly this is why i really want to just give the ZYX a shot on my 450. I've been hearing good things. No too many bad. I don't know about the rest of Tarot's stuff, electronics wise. But Tarot is looking to be one of my favorite underdogs right now. HK and Turnigy are decent for the price. But BEWARE those turnigy batteries and QC issues too. They work good and everything but not for all that long. They degrade pretty quickly. My Turnigy 4X6S charger is "okay" but not great. It never seems to want to cap off the first cell. It leaves it at 4.18 very often. Not to mention that Turnigy is the only place i can find to order silicone wire in the US. Not that i would ever want silicone over PVC most of the time. OH that reminds me. Anyone that followed my build of the X5 knows i burned out/shorted or did something stupid that smoked the hell out of my TM1000 module. I got tired of dealing with getting a replacement so i went and bought a new one so i can install it already. Interestingly enough, the original that shorted out/fried it's self on install had all silicone wires. The new one has all PVC. The Silicone, i suppose is used for weight reduction? But PVC is much more durable and less likely to melt, be cut on the frame or short out like my original battery sensor wire did, i suspect. Who knows it might have been my fault.

Anyway. After you posted about your 500 i wanted to look and see. I am firmly planted in the "you get what you pay for" camp. Or the "You can't afford not to spend more now, so you don't spend 3x more later", thats my "Time share sales pitch" on buying big helicopters, lol. But i feel like it's pretty much true. I have never held back on expense on any hobby i ever had. Except for in this hobby and i regret it. That being said, that HK250 air frame looks pretty much like an Align 250 FBL frame. I might build one. It's so cheap and i should be able to install the DFC head in it. I think it will be a fun little crasher heli for my front yard and park at the end of my street.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Last year i started with one 500, it did'nt cost me much. Along the way i pick up the upgrade parts and better electronics for it. Now i have enough stuff to build a second 500. I could sell one (here in the bahamas) and get some return on my investments, or continue the cycle of slowly building up the upgrades until i can build another for only the cost of the air frame and rx. I see it as a long term payment plan on helis, that leaves me with options to expand or sell off. It wont be long now until i start looking for a second 600 sized air frame. While i slowly convert my present 600 to 12s, i'll have all the elecs i need to build another 6s.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:37 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,791 Posts
Quote:
Last year i started with one 500, it did'nt cost me much. Along the way i pick up the upgrade parts and better electronics for it. Now i have enough stuff to build a second 500. I could sell one (here in the bahamas) and get some return on my investments, or continue the cycle of slowly building up the upgrades until i can build another for only the cost of the air frame and rx. I see it as a long term payment plan on helis, that leaves me with options to expand or sell off. It wont be long now until i start looking for a second 600 sized air frame. While i slowly convert my present 600 to 12s, i'll have all the elecs i need to build another 6s.
Now that i'm buying 6S packs for the Gaui X5. I might eventually do a 12S setup. But if i do i think i have to make it a 700+ size. If i'm going to put that much money in batteries into each flight. I'm going all the way. Thats why i picked the Gaui X5. It has the best power to weight ratio i can find and only uses 1 6S pack. With a 4000 mAh pack it only weighs 5 lbs 12 oz. or approx 2.6kg (2608g). It's performance and power is impressive. I didn't think i could afford anything bigger than a 600. But being i have made it 18 flights on my Gaui without ANY ISSUE, especially a crash. Is not what i expected. You see because every one of my Walkera mistakes gave me issues and crashed before flight 10. Probably not my fault at all. So i had developed a mind set to the fact that my heli will just fall out of the sky. Now that i have made it almost 20 flights without any problems and on top of that flying harder 3D then ever before and actually being able to progress and learn harder moves. I can honestly say, if all good helicopters fly like this a Gaui X7 is in my future as well.

If i could find a cheap 700 airframe to build i would probably just do that instead. But there are not any clones that i am aware of? I'm no going to be able to go bigger for a very long time and my 4f200 has been pissing me off lately so i need a 250 to fill that space. But i almost wish i had just gone to the X7 instead of the X5. If i can fly the damn thing for longer than a week, like i have the X5, without it just falling out of the sky. I can definitely afford repairing it once every few months. But not if it's going to fly like my Walkera have in the past. I can't afford daily repairs and weekly bulk parts orders, like i had to do to keep my Walkera flying. I really want a Gaui X2 but it's too close to the 450 size and i already have two of those. The 200mm bladed DFC 250 looks like a good heli to me and it's the smallest i can manage to keep stable with the head speed staying normal in all the wind i get here.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
I'm now buying 3000mah packs that i can fly in my 500 and double them up to use in my 600 12s parralell for now, until i convert the motor and esc to run 12s serial. Thats when i'll start looking for another 600 airframe.

Have you looked at the kds 700, now in stock at hobbyking?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:03 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Just getting in from the fun fly and i did have a blast. I even got to play with a Trex700 turbine powered..... ($6,000)

I'll post the pics and details on the Bahamas Remote Controled Pilots thead in the clubs section.

No harryseeds showed up, i wonder what happend to that guy???
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:16 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Just getting in from the fun fly and i did have a blast. I even got to play with a Trex700 turbine powered..... ($6,000)

I'll post the pics and details on the Bahamas Remote Controled Pilots thead in the clubs section.

No harryseeds showed up, i wonder what happend to that guy???
Glad you had a great time kdean, can you please post a link to your thread, would really like to see the pics but not familiar with the thread.

As for harry pmsl, I think we all know where he was coming from mate (go Gaui or go home), thats put me off ever buying a Gaui (the snob factor makes me want to heave), I do like the look of the KDS 550 posted previously though, but will be a while before my flying can warrant one lol

Glad you had a good time mate
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,649 Posts
Fun fly flight report

I'll post my personal flight report here, and the general fun report on the other thread. I just dont feel like uploading all the pics tonight. But i had to share some trex 700 turbine pics.

The good news is the turbine did fly today, the bad news is that it flew before i got there... He tried to get it started for a second flight, but something was wrong with the fuel, or the fule line, and it would not start up again. Bummer.... It sure did look cool though. Its not that much bigger that the 600, so if i ever decide to go 'bigger', i'll skip the 700 and go for the 800. But i would have to win the lottery first.

He also had a jr11x or whatever it is that looks just like the walkera devo 12 (without the touch screen). It felt really big, but solid in my hands, and had me thinking about makeing the devo conversion early.

I started out with the 500, and on the first flight i managed to get grass stains on my main blades. Working on my low transitions, the wind pulled a fast one on me, and i managed to scuff the blades in the turf. It was close but no damage done and i was able to finish the pack, and put two more packs through it with no problems.

The 600, now with pro3d blades decided to show that more damage was done when i stripped out the gears and made the hard auto that broke the skids. I noticed a wobble that was getting worse, and today i could not get the blades to track. So it looks like i need to relpace the main shaft and the feathering shaft to get it back to smooth. I still flew a mild 3d flight with a 3300 pack, and its still in one piece.

I also had the SuperV400 but did not fly it because i did not want to intimidate the guy with the 700...

Now that the fun fly is over, and hk has shipped my new 500, its time to start shuffeling some things around and getting things ready for the new frame. The 450 pro w/beastX will be getting setup, and the 500 will be takeing a step back to cmt beld driven fb 'beater' 500 heli. In about two weeks i'll be starting the new 'bling' 500 fbl build.

I'll post a link the brcmp thread once i get all the fun fly photos loaded.

"If i paid $6000 for a heli i would pissed if i could not get more than one flight in a day.... That should start with the push of a button, and be able to fly by itself...."
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
wow kdean, 6k for that helicopter! Too bad u didn't get to see it fly, sounds cool but a little pricey if you ask me.

Btw, I did a little research on Harryseed and v999 (cause i'm pretty sure they are the same people) and posted it in the v400 thread. I'll go ahead and post it here too cause he was banned but i'm pretty sure he'll show up again under a different name so i want everybody to be aware and ready to ignore him when he does.

Earlier I checked the other posts by him and in another thread he said multiple times that he is employed by Gaui to push their products. I don't know if he was telling the truth or not but I won't ever buy Gaui just in case he was, regardless if they are a good quality brand or not.

He also said he will sign in via a proxy server and use a different username after he is banned, like he has before. So, if somebody else comes around sounding similar, I think we know who it really is.

So we know V999d02, Ruthlessgeorge (as he said in the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774902), HarryNuts (the trouble maker from before), and who knows who else have all been the same guy. I'd also bet my helicopter collection that the guy from about 6 months ago, damo666 (later called username> and suspended) was also the same guy. Remember, the one who got his v400 stuck in a tree and got ticked off after walkera released the devo. He posted pictures of himself and looks too much like v999 to be a coincidence. Funny that v999 removed his pictures right before getting suspended, hmmm.... Damo's are still on there though:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=186917

Just doing my homework For anybody curious, if you look at Damo's firefighter pictures (not the one of his boss) it looks like V999. Damo also mentioned that he use to be a boxer, like v999 did, and mentioned the same age kids that v999 did, as well as stating where he worked (though he said he's unemployed now and just gets paid by Gaui, which doesn't surprise me since he threatened his boss). A little too much of a coincidence if you ask me.

If anybody else comes by sounding like that lets do our best to ignore him and maybe he will finally go away.....

Just wanted to give everybody a heads up for the next time he shows up.
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Oct 2010
2,125 Posts
Talking BS...

I've been following you guys on this thread and I know what's going on....ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT....DON'T REACT OR RESPONSE TO PEOPLE WHO TALKS BULLSH***T. I know it's hard not to but , responding to them is just a waste of time....IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD THEN TOO BAD.
CO2X2010 is offline Find More Posts by CO2X2010
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by COCO2010 View Post
I've been following you guys on this thread and I know what's going on....ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT....DON'T REACT OR RESPONSE TO PEOPLE WHO TALKS BULLSH***T. I know it's hard not to but , responding to them is just a waste of time....IF THEY DON'T LIKE THIS THREAD THEN TOO BAD.
+1

This and kdean's other threads have been very helpful. Kdean is the man, and there is a great group of guys on these threads. I look forward to hearing more about everybody's experiences! Keep sharing

Cheers!
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto