HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:25 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone 300 extra Need Help

Hi, I have been flying for a few years and I can fly relatively well.

I got a parkzone 300 extra used but the guy never used it for $100 and I thought I would love it. I got it awhile ago when I had less experience. I did not like the low speed charactoristics and ripped the landing grear off. Now I have more flight time and I have moved the battery forward ad far as it will go. I put some big dubro wheels on it and just ripped of the landing gear again.

The plane flys ok but when I slow down I get wing rock and it snaps into a wing tip stall and spins around 180. I was hanging it out on the prop and having some fun but due to its unpredictability I desided to use my other batteries on my stryker that day.

I do not want to give up on this plane. I need to balance it properly because I am assuming that is where the wing rock is comming from. Help.
chrisorbics is offline Find More Posts by chrisorbics
Last edited by chrisorbics; Oct 03, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,858 Posts
This plane is not a 3d plane. It is a great quick aerobatic plane that flies just where you put it. It doesn't like lots of elevator movement at all, and doesn't need much movement of any surfaces to perform any aerobatic move you might want. One of the best knife edge machines I ever saw. A really really good 3d pilot can maybe do a few 3d moves with it, but that's just not what it's about.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
This plane is not a 3d plane. It is a great quick aerobatic plane that flies just where you put it. It doesn't like lots of elevator movement at all, and doesn't need much movement of any surfaces to perform any aerobatic move you might want. One of the best knife edge machines I ever saw. A really really good 3d pilot can maybe do a few 3d moves with it, but that's just not what it's about.
Hi, I am not looing to do 3D with it but I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this wing rock and where the proper balance point is.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:31 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
I went from the HobbyZone Super Cub to the Extra 300 so I was also taken by surprise at how sketchy the thing is at slower speeds. So I just make sure to keep my speed up and to keep the throttle on all the way to touchdown on landings.

A more experienced guy that I fly with suggested setting up flaperons for landing. I've also seen youtube videos of others doing this. The other thing people seem to do is put on a 11x7 or 12x6 prop. This seems to give you a little extra thrust so it doesn't fall out as bad, but from what I've seen, you still have to fight the wing rocking a little. You also have to watch your amp draw.

This guy apparently improved the wing rocking issue with some rather involved mods to the wings:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DOOODBOY...uery=extra+300

These two threads might also have some good tips (I've only skimmed through them myself):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...kzon+extra+300

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...kzon+extra+300
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:10 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Make sure you only have max 10ml throw on the elevator. It will snap with too much elevator. Mine will harrier well upside down in a breeze. For some reason it flies slowly better up side down. For furst flights, stick the battery as far forward as it will go (the velcro fastening strap should be behind the battery). the stated CoG is too far back when learning to fly this plane. After 30 or 40 flights, you can move the battery back for better slow speed manouvering.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
There's a huge thread on this plane, I think in the Parkflyer section.. There's been a lot of discussion on these issued and others, check it out.

added, the one I was thinking of is the happy owners thread.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:33 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Yea I saw the happy owners thread but I am not very happy so that is not for me.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisorbics View Post
Yea I saw the happy owners thread but I am not very happy so that is not for me.
Ok, but there is lengthy discussion about how to set the elevator, etc.

Although for 3D you are out of luck as the Extra wants to fly on the wing.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:58 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Hi, i just wanted to let everyone know that I called horizon and they are sending me a pair of new wings with servos installed for free. Hopefully these are revised and it will fly better.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:26 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
proper balance point is.
Got my CG set at 78mm on my Extra.
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisorbics
proper balance point is.

Got my CG set at 78mm on my Extra.
Thanks, some reason no one could give me that information. That is a hair over 3 inches for anyone else that would like to use this information. Does yours have wing rock at low speeds? How do you like your 300 extra?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, some reason no one could give me that information. That is a hair over 3 inches for anyone else that would like to use this information. Does yours have wing rock at low speeds? How do you like your 300 extra?
Never noticed any wing rock at any speed Are the white plactic pieces that are on the wing and on the side of the fuse secure ,are the screws tight or the plastic parts loose in the foam and need reglueing ..
Love my Extra
I can dead stick land my extra from about 50feet up ,
glide it in like one of my gliders..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:36 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Never noticed any wing rock at any speed Are the white plactic pieces that are on the wing and on the side of the fuse secure ,are the screws tight or the plastic parts loose in the foam and need reglueing ..
Love my Extra
I can dead stick land my extra from about 50feet up ,
glide it in like one of my gliders..

Wow I wish mine flew like that. I actually glue those white peices in before I flew it last time.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,858 Posts
Quote:
Depends on what your definition of low speeds is. The extra needs speed to fly right and loves it. It will slow down quite a bit, but once you fall below the limit, you're lucky if it just rocks its wings. It won't putter around like a t28 or high wing trainer, or easily do harrier type slow flight like a 3d plane (unless you are really good) though. It's an aerobatic plane and a very good one in my book.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:57 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Yes, I like flying my extra. It is pretty tough and endlessly repairable. You WILL rip off the wheels, but they can be glued back in easy enough. You WILL have many bad landings until you get the hang of it. It does not handle well at low speeds with the CoG forward (see below), it is a fast aerobatic plane and it excels at this. It is not a plane for beginners.

Make sure the battery is pushed/squeezed full forward even if you have to shave off some the foam (the velcro battery strap will now be BEHIND the battery). The original manual had the wrong CoG. From memory, it was actually nearly an inch forward. Many people reported bad performance becausee they used the wrong CoG. Any battery bigger than the stock battery will be a tight squeeze, but you must get it forward.

I've had mine up for several hundred flights now and usually have the CoG back now for better low speed performance. In fact, I usually just let the battery flop all over the place because the CoG doesn't worry me anymore (unlike my first 50 or so flights). The fuselage has been glued back together 6 times, I'm up to my fourth prop, second motor and I've got no wheels left (hand launch). I've lost about 5% of the wing area through crunches, notches and dings. The canopy and pilot have long disappeared, but it keeps on flying.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot