HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:50 AM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Lucky

Ya know..... I just gotta crow here a little bit. I am one lucky guy. Most of you have had the Calypso flying at least enough times to know what needs to be done (through trial and error [crashes?] ). I just got mine. It's still in the box. I probably won't even maiden it till spring some time. By that time, I should know exactly how it is going to react and exactly what mods I will want to do and not do.

Kudos, you guys! Thanks for all the work!
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:57 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Huh? It's a foam glider. Go fly it!
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2005
44 Posts
Will someone post a picture of the tail incidence modification. My Calypso flies level with almost full up trim, so I think I need to shim the rear of the elevator.

ory69, you are overthinking this. Build it and go fly it.

-Bill
Willy860 is offline Find More Posts by Willy860
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,507 Posts
Hi, Bill.

I don't have a picture but it's pretty simple to shim the tail. We used folded aluminum foil to make a shim that fits in the pocket where the tail is mounted. We will probably have to add a bit more as the foam gets compressed but it's still a simple fix. Wood would work too or one could even use Gorilla Glue to build it up and then sand it to fit. We will probably use the glue when we are more certain of exactly how much shim is needed but we just haven't had enough flying time to find the exact amount of change we want in the incidence.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:51 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
... but we just haven't had enough flying time to find the exact amount of change we want in the incidence.
Indirectly answers my earlier question so, tell ya what. I'll prep a couple of shims of 1 & 2 popsicle-stick's height & try them next session so's I can get a head-to-head comparison. Or, I have some wooden shim stock (wedges) around here somewhere -- might make equivalent thickness couple out of that if I can find it.
(Now, where'd I leave my workshop )
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Indirectly answers my earlier question so, tell ya what. I'll prep a couple of shims of 1 & 2 popsicle-stick's height & try them next session so's I can get a head-to-head comparison. Or, I have some wooden shim stock (wedges) around here somewhere -- might make equivalent thickness couple out of that if I can find it.
(Now, where'd I leave my workshop )
I won't speak for anyone but I believe 1/8" shim was mentioned earlier in this thread and is probably a good starting point. I'm thinking the solution may lie with horizontal stab incidence and CG being moved aft, some combination of both. It was also mentioned a few posts up that the shim will depress the foam which I clearly see on mine after my 1/8" balsa shim put a nice shallow imprint where it touches the fuselage. I've added a plastic "base" to the fuselage which probably gets me back to 1/8" total, maybe a little over.

This seems to be the only frustration with this airplane and there are probably several ways to address it. Like I said, I just want a normal sink rate so my son has a snowball's chance of taking the sticks. Next purchase is a buddy box. Figures though, I loved this stuff and my parents had horses. I now HAVE this stuff and my son loves, that's right, horses.
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:14 AM
Virginia
Joined Sep 2001
61 Posts
Any ideas? Had maidened CASO yesterday-flew great! Then 3 more flights and picked it up and the motor fell out and hung by the esc. wires! Looked at the mount and it was broken in several pieces .To be kind,it was a concern when I was mounting the stock motor---crappy plastic!K R Proton-Hobbico Rep. please note! Any ideas on how to fix the mount or replace it-narrow work space- Thanks in advance. Rivanna
rivanna is offline Find More Posts by rivanna
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivanna View Post
Any ideas? ...
I wouldn't be waiting to hear from them.
(Hint, hint)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:38 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Any ideas? Had maidened CASO yesterday-flew great! Then 3 more flights and picked it up and the motor fell out and hung by the esc. wires! Looked at the mount and it was broken in several pieces .To be kind,it was a concern when I was mounting the stock motor---crappy plastic!K R Proton-Hobbico Rep. please note! Any ideas on how to fix the mount or replace it-narrow work space- Thanks in advance. Rivanna
Happened to me a week ago. My mount is ok. But had to put a screw with a bigger head in it. Its fine and waiting for a good opportunity to get out again.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,849 Posts
Quote:
...To be kind,it was a concern when I was mounting the stock motor---crappy plastic! ...
As an afterthought - how'd you come to be 'mounting the stock motor'? I thought all versions of the plane come with motors already installed.

Something else I learned the hard way. Make checking motor mount screws a part of your routine - especially when you aren't the one who installed them. To make sure they're tight, I'm talkin'. My Minimoa's weren't - and it was a recognized problem with that model. I just plain forgot to check when I finally received it - with bad results. It's especially susceptible on planes where you've got 'Brake' enabled -- the torque of instant-ons & hard-stops slams that motor back & forth and will work screws aloose! After they're loose a bit, their threads start 'sawing' at the surrounding material, & before long, you've got problems.
Here's what I found in my 'Moa:

It appears partially melted - that happened after the loose motor finally 'bound up'. There were tiny little red 'sawdust' particles all over the insides of the motor compartment - it was literally almost coated with 'em. I could've kicked myself for not checking. Kinda thing that happens when you learn of the problem, & don't get hands on until a month later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Motor Mounts....... kind of

And speaking of motors and mounts.......... I got my Calypso out of the box and spent the better part of the day assembling her (I'm a stickler for perfection). One problem I had was getting the stab bolt to engage in the nut plate. It seemed to take forever with several "mount and remove" episodes to finally get it seated in the threads and lock down.

The other thing I noticed is that to my limited knowledge it appears that this motor - ESC combination has a brake set up. When I finally got my ESC to recognize my Futaba 6 channel (by doing something that the instructions didn't mention) I noted that when I reduced throttle, even slowly, the motor locks up tight at full off, resulting in an annoying kick. I don't like motor brakes. Does anyone know if this is actually a motor brake I am experiencing, and if so, how to set it so that it has no brake??? I suppose Hobbico customer support may be able to help, but I thought I'd ask the experts here first.

Thanks
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:20 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,849 Posts
http://manuals.hobbico.com/flz/flza3000-tech.pdf
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
Thanks

Thanks, Star!

I guess I should have found that myself, given that it mentions something about the ESC info location in the instructions.

Thanks again
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
Virginia
Joined Sep 2001
61 Posts
Starhopper

You are on to something! Closer examination indicated some melting of the mount where the motor screws were! How the-h--- do I deal with that? thanks,Rivanna
rivanna is offline Find More Posts by rivanna
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:59 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,849 Posts
Negative perspiration. That's what we here for.
RCG Plus Member